• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

The best way to camp in the winter!!!

Old Monkey

Old Monkey

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dennis Cahoon said:
Old Monkey....not sure where that's at. What bigger town was Union Hill close to? Were they miners? if so maybe Quincy, or LaPort?
Its about twenty miles from La Porte. It doesn't show up on any maps although the las time we stopped by there, there was still an active mine. Grandma cooked for the miners and grandpa ran heavy equipment for the mine. Later Grandpa was a Motor Grader operator for logging co.s and helped build the Bullard's Bar Dam. The little Christian Summer Camp that you drive past on the way to La Porte used to be a mill and that was were My Grandpa worked.

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
eric_271 said:
What kind of mine was it? Gold, silver?
Hi Eric, it was gold if I'm not mistaken. Often called, "the richest square mile on earth", gold was discovered in 1859 by a Georgia native, John H. Gregory.
Central City Colorado was the center of that huge goldrush.
Anyone going there needs to visit the Teller House to find out about, "The Face on the Barroom Floor."
John

NIP Group
Darin

Darin

The Big Kahuna
Staff member
Website
www.ArboristSite.com
Yeah, I guess cabin isn't the word for it. It still is nice.

Kf tree yes, I guess spelling is not my forte.

Eric-it was a gold mine.

Monkey-It was was purchase from a family that was getting a divorce. They had it like 2 months. They were also planning living there, which is way to isolated for me.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Banned
Website
Visit site
Darin said:
Kf tree yes, I guess spelling is not my forte.
i thought so...my brother lives in breck, he's up in the hills across from the ski area so his view is of the breckenridge ski area.

does the whale's tail still have 10cent peel and eat shrimp, or are they up to a quarter by now?

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Old Monkey said:
Its about twenty miles from La Porte. It doesn't show up on any maps although the las time we stopped by there, there was still an active mine. Grandma cooked for the miners and grandpa ran heavy equipment for the mine. Later Grandpa was a Motor Grader operator for logging co.s and helped build the Bullard's Bar Dam. The little Christian Summer Camp that you drive past on the way to La Porte used to be a mill and that was were My Grandpa worked.
Yeah, now I know where you're talking about. Brownsville, Challenge, Strawberry Valley, and LaPorte, are the little towns above Bullards Bar. The Christian Summer Camp is called Woodleaf and it was an old saw mill. Ken Dunn(KDhotsaw) lived in Challenge when I first met him. Soper Wheeler is the big private timber/land owners in that area, but alot of the land is Plumas National Forest. I've cut logs and fought forest fires all around that area. The last time I worked there, we cut one yarder unit and weren't allow to cut the other units because they discovered some spotted owls. The units were loaded with big sugar pine too. Later Dennis

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Darin, I think it's fantastic that you are doing so well at such a young age.
Since it's well known that you paid for that chalet with the funds gleened from AS, don't you think it only fair that you use it as a time share for AS members in good standing?
Or just have the GTG of GTG's there. You could even invite the ones from boot hill.
:blob2:
John

Darin

Darin

The Big Kahuna
Staff member
Website
www.ArboristSite.com
It has three bedrooms but the beds are as good as the floor. I would consider a weekend party, but that is a long haul for people (canada, other states etc.) . It is 1.5 hours from Denver. The fly fishing is great (if you are into it). Nothing but trout.
I know Jen would pass on the weekend, but it would be fun.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Banned
Website
Visit site
TreeCo said:
That is a great shot. What was the temperature and altitude? It sure looks easy to die up there.

that camp was around 17,100ft........temp around 10 degree's. we started for the summit at midnite and got back to camp at 7:00pm the next nite, on the move the whole time except for belays. we were a 3 man team and i had a chance to rest at one belay and fell asleep, i felt a tug on the rope and off i went. you try and get as much climbing done as possible at nite since the snow is firmer. once the sun comes out , things start to soften up. moving through those crevase fields with a head lamp is quite a trip.

Weatherby

Weatherby

ArboristSite Operative
Darin said:
It has three bedrooms but the beds are as good as the floor. I would consider a weekend party, but that is a long haul for people (canada, other states etc.) . It is 1.5 hours from Denver. The fly fishing is great (if you are into it). Nothing but trout.
I know Jen would pass on the weekend, but it would be fun.

Nice place Darin. It sure is colder here in Colorado than back in North Carolina. I'm out here in Lakewood not too far from you. I moved out here for a job and don't have room for my saws anymore. I have managed to keep my 346 with me and I occasionally go up to Evergreen and cut some firewood with a guy I play poker with. Getting a bit of snow up there from what I hear.

Rob