The Cheapest Rads sytem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
sorry for the double post but this thread may recieve more intrest here

Ok here is a challenge to all you guys with lots of spare gear lying around come up with the cheapest RADS system you can for a begining climber that is not only functional but safe and easy to use

How this idea came to be, I have been promising my fiance for quite some time i would take her up a tree, she doesnt want to use any of my gear because of how it has been used she felt it might be sketchy (i am very very careful with all my gear) but to give her piece of mind i told her i would buy her a setup for her birthday, now i didnt want to invest too much money in this because she could start up freak out and decide she is done and go down and never use the gear again, if thats the case i will probably just mix it in to my gear and use it as needed.

S5000066.jpg

This is a very functional system i tried it out and it works almost as well as a grigri although going down is not as simple

Sorry for the clutter behind i have gear hung everywhere lol

So my setup consists of
1 Black diamond ATC guide 24.99
1 petzl micro pulley 16.99
3 BD lockers and one acessory wiregate 6.95 each
1 petzle right handed ascender 64.99 on sale

all parts came from EMS so they are readily available from a local store which means no S+H if she doesnt want to body trust i have tons of rope to rig an ettiere with for a foot loop

grand total 134.77+tax

The atc is run in "guide mode" which makes it auto locking it has a slot that you can put a string through and pull down to go down however i am just going to have her unweight and switch it over to rap mode to go down because i think it is safer on a unfamiliar device however using it in true guide mode works fine and i completed a limb walk an a complete rapel in this mode

So the challenge is on can anyone come up with a cheaper way that is still safe and functional

Tom

Your quest for a cheap RADS is admirable but you're defeating the main virtue of a RADS: simple and quick switchover to rappel or back to ascent again. There are much simpler, cheaper and more efficient ways to climb SRT if your system is going to require a standard SRT switchover to rappel.

A tip for your RADS setup: hang the pulley on the upper ascender attachment point, your stroke will be too short if you hang the pulley from the bottom of the ascender.
-moss

Back