The Dead of Night, Old Growth spiders in my brain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slowp. Edited from "Huge Trees"

I started out here when the big stuff was still being logged. It was scary and I usually just stayed out of the way during falling operations. I'd check their work after they went home. They took a while to get those trees on the ground, and around here often had another guy along to pack gear and pound in wedges.

There was a lot of breakage. The tops exploded when they hit the ground.

To cruise those big punkins (estimate the volume before cutting) you'd stand back and try to figure out where the tree was going to bust up and put that top diameter on the data card. There was a lot of other defect in them too.

The mills were not as efficient so a lot of "cull" logs were left either in the unit or on the landings and burned. The landing wood might get sold again for pulp, but was left for the firewood cutters and then burned. I only had an 032 with a 20 inch bar so had a hard time finding small enough wood to cut.

The slash in the clearcuts was deep. I was following a 6 foot guy through it and he let out an "oops" and disappeared. That was how deep that bit of slash left after yarding was. That's why those units were burned. You had to be able to get to the soil for planting.

The spiders didn't quit, whiskey slowed them down, but they are a crawlin'.

Old Growth, brings to most minds, parks or groves, treasured remnants of what was. Dark, peaceful, a place to reflect on one's place in the World.
Now, welcome to my Old Growth World. My past is littered with stumps and shattered debris, evidence of my passage is marked by a swath of devastation. OG logging was by nature a destructive process, slowp caught some of that, actually well enough to wake up my spiders. I tend to avoid the subject, that is, my own thoughts on what my falling of OG timber means to me now. I tend to consider much of what I did, to be a series of violent acts. Now, I ain't goin' hippie here, nope. Just reflecting on my motives, God help me, I loved it, the more noise and stuff flyin' in the air, the harder I pushed it. To walk up to a huge, silent being, with intent to tear into it's flesh with a ravening machine, a machine that has a mindless hunger, that gnaws with endless teeth, all the while gleefully howling it's bloodlust, I was all too often one with that beast. That is why I ran McCullochs, most other makes were too tame, McCullochs dared you to master them, a half hearted attempt to do so, gave them the chance to whip your ass.
I don't think even film can capture how it was, I won't do it the justice it deserves. The level of destruction has to be seen first hand, better yet, watch it happen, even better is making it happen. I have seen a dozen or so, very tall trees come apart on the way down down, we aren't talkin' tops, limbs, that was an everyday thing, these kinda folded in half, scattering crap everywhere. Oh yeah. Another noisy event was dropping a big tree into other big trees, best to be avoided, it happened on a fairly regular basis. Pitching a big tree down a steep slope was always made a good mess. Before you greenies, if you read this, get all bent (well, further bent) there was often no alternative. It was what it was, you dumped it's ass on the ground the best way you could, the balance between saving every inch and the pressure to produce, plus the gawd-dammed trees were contrary and fought your best efforts. We did leave some, there was no point in trying, they would be a total loss. I got in on the last of the old style bustass logging, I worked with men who had been at it from the begining of that era, I saw and did things that few others have. Does that make me better than anyone else, no, it makes me a worn out relic. I am rusting away like an old left behind arch. Those days are past and for many good reasons, mostly because sobs like me cut without much thought to what we were leaving behind.
Do I regret any of it, yes. There are several trees that come to mind, they might still be standing and they were left where they were laid. It rarely occured to me, at those times, that maybe I shoulda walked away, left them standing. In those days, I would have walked into Hell to fall timber. I remember looking back at what was left, a sea of broken wood, hulking stumps, the only dirt showing were skidroads. I felt satisfaction, I would never have to go back there, and there was more Old Growth just ahead.
The Dead of Night, that is when stuff catches up with me and flows out my slow, worn fingers. Sitting in the near dark, chewing asprin, chain smoking, swatting spiders and doing a poor job at putting thoughts into words.

Redwood2-1.jpg

Time for a xanax to keep the bugs at bay

Awesome. Just purely awsome Randy. I sure hope you write a book someday. Your wording is great and description is incredible. Getting it all down may release some of the spiders.

On a cheerier note, there's healthy trees growing all over a unit I did not think had a chance in help to grow back. I did not (thank God) ever have to work on that unit. It was steep. It was so steep that the mill had trouble finding cutters. Rumor had it that they imported guys from Forks who used ropes somehow.

Now, they didn't have to worry much about a lay. Everything cut rolled down to the creek bottom. High stumps did not stop the rolling, everything went down the hill to the bottom.

There was our usual rock bluff across it, and rock in the unit. When it was time to burn the slash, I was happy that I got assigned to be with the engine ready to put out any spot fires that might occur in the slash where a tower was yarding. We also used to do crazy things like that. We never burned up a yarder.

The lighters didn't get very far down the hill. In fact they stopped after only a few minutes. The fire boss radioed, asking where they were and why they weren't lighting. (It is important to keep "pouring" the fuel to it, and lighting going to get the unit burned good) A worried voice answered back, "I'm behind the biggest stump I can find trying not to get killed by all the rolling stuff." The radio went quiet and then they were told to come back up when they could and the unit would be left to light itself, which it did.

I saw fallers launch big trees off rock bluffs. Nothing much was left of the tree, because it broke into splinters when it hit. The method of yarding had a lot to do with that. An efficient high lead operation didn't want any standing trees in the way.

That was changed when we started leaving wildlife trees in units. The layout/wildlife folks would choose trees. Then the logger would go look at it and we foresters would have to go choose different trees as the original ones would not be in places that could be yarded around.

I've been terrified while watching a yarder yank on a 7 foot diameter log using frayed lines. The log finally moved and no lines broke. Those yarders could pull so much that logs would dig deep trenches in the ground when the front end of the log would not lift.

Yes, it was destructive at times. Yes, we went into areas that we probably shouldn't have. But it was terrifying and fun to see so much power out there
and the ingenuity it took to get those punkins out and onto a truck.

When I have the time, I'll scan a couple more pictures of units and post them.

I like to read Randy's stories. It all needs to be put into a book for sure.

Yeah I wish he would write one. It would be a number 1 seller atleast on here.

Deffinately a life style I wish I could have participated in.

I have lots of family from CA in the Salinas Valley, carmel valley, monterey... I wonder if I have any ancestors that where in the OG buisness?

Gosh, thanks you-all.
There is a book forming, still a good ways away. Little bits like this thing are but outlines or segments.
I'm blaming this one on slowp, her insights and how she projects them, kick started my spiders into action. I fought them off for quite awhile, this is not a comfortable subject for me, admitting that I am/was bat#### crazy. Like most things, I have no controll over what is spewed onto the page, it just flows from my fingers, it's either post it or delete it. Funny thing, this only works when I am on-line, logged on to a site, it just happened to be this one, this time.

Spider byte

It was hot, even in the shade, probably in the mid 90s, I didn't notice, I had wandered off somewhere. The operator in me just kept working, keeping an eye on the work while I was gone. I was suddenly returned, old Ray, the Master faller had just bounced a small rock off the middle of my back. I found myself atop a 10 foot Redwood log, guiding a bellowing geardrive Homelite through a cut. I had gone into a bucking trance, it happens when I tuned out the noise in the long cuts. Ray was indicating that I needed to stop, his word was nearly God-like, I did exactly what he said to and exactly how he said to do it. The old 900 went silent, the air still rang with it's voice, nope that was Ray "Dammit son, if I knew you wanted to work through lunch, I woulda let ya" It had only been a couple weeks since he addressed me as "son" instead of "boy". Nothing stung worse after that time, than to be called "boy" again. In addition to the glorious day wage of $50, lunch was on Ray, part of the job so to speak. Ray's wife made killer lunchs. Not a word about work was spoken during lunch, not until Ray finished one of his hideous cigars, nasty black stubbies. I will forever picture him, sitting on a stump, rolling a lit cigar between his fingers. Ray, coughed, spit and stood up, it was lesson time. We walked down the length of the tree a bit, he pointed out that there was going to be "a hell of a bind" on the third cut. He lined out how to go about it, with the usual comment about the wedges (for falling only) With that, he grabbed his saw to finish the cut I was working on, I did the sawing from the top, he worked from the ground. I was pumped, the log was getting to the point where I could use my own saw, instead of a droning old Homlite. I fetched the 797, I was pretty sure the 48" bar would have the reach needed. The third cut was exactly the bastard I was told it would be, bound at the top with the added attraction of wanting to roll down the hill. Besides the obvious problem of getting the bar stuck, you do not want to slab off any wood, proper release of tension was critical.
It still makes me laugh, whenever I lit up a McCulloch, Ray would wince at the sound, even over the roar of a big Homelite geardrive.

that is some awsome writing there randy. i dont like to read books(makes me go crazy) but when you wright a book i will read it and be happy your stories are the best.:cheers:

I tip my hat to you and raise a glass.
You men where my heroes when I was growing up and still are!

Gosh, thanks you-all.
There is a book forming, still a good ways away. Little bits like this thing are but outlines or segments.
I'm blaming this one on slowp, her insights and how she projects them, kick started my spiders into action. I fought them off for quite awhile, this is not a comfortable subject for me, admitting that I am/was bat#### crazy. Like most things, I have no controll over what is spewed onto the page, it just flows from my fingers, it's either post it or delete it. Funny thing, this only works when I am on-line, logged on to a site, it just happened to be this one, this time.

Spider byte

It was hot, even in the shade, probably in the mid 90s, I didn't notice, I had wandered off somewhere. The operator in me just kept working, keeping an eye on the work while I was gone. I was suddenly returned, old Ray, the Master faller had just bounced a small rock off the middle of my back. I found myself atop a 10 foot Redwood log, guiding a bellowing geardrive Homelite through a cut. I had gone into a bucking trance, it happens when I tuned out the noise in the long cuts. Ray was indicating that I needed to stop, his word was nearly God-like, I did exactly what he said to and exactly how he said to do it. The old 900 went silent, the air still rang with it's voice, nope that was Ray "Dammit son, if I knew you wanted to work through lunch, I woulda let ya" It had only been a couple weeks since he addressed me as "son" instead of "boy". Nothing stung worse after that time, than to be called "boy" again. In addition to the glorious day wage of $50, lunch was on Ray, part of the job so to speak. Ray's wife made killer lunchs. Not a word about work was spoken during lunch, not until Ray finished one of his hideous cigars, nasty black stubbies. I will forever picture him, sitting on a stump, rolling a lit cigar between his fingers. Ray, coughed, spit and stood up, it was lesson time. We walked down the length of the tree a bit, he pointed out that there was going to be "a hell of a bind" on the third cut. He lined out how to go about it, with the usual comment about the wedges (for falling only) With that, he grabbed his saw to finish the cut I was working on, I did the sawing from the top, he worked from the ground. I was pumped, the log was getting to the point where I could use my own saw, instead of a droning old Homlite. I fetched the 797, I was pretty sure the 48" bar would have the reach needed. The third cut was exactly the bastard I was told it would be, bound at the top with the added attraction of wanting to roll down the hill. Besides the obvious problem of getting the bar stuck, you do not want to slab off any wood, proper release of tension was critical.
It still makes me laugh, whenever I lit up a McCulloch, Ray would wince at the sound, even over the roar of a big Homelite geardrive.

Another great read Randy. I'll want an autographed copy of that book when it comes. Is Ray the Master Faller with the nickname of "Blow-Hole" that you told me about earlier?:cheers:

I know what you're saying. We've cut a lot for a certain company, and my job was to get the production and I tripped a lot of big old fir, larch and pondy that made beautiful logs, but at the end of the day they looked better standing. I know - not the tough guy thing to say on my part, and I don't care. When it comes to falling timber for the company, you do what you gotta do, and leave it at that - Sam

Yes my friend 'Centric, Ray is that man.

Sam, There are two trees in particular that still bother me. I felled a medium Redwood as a second saw, a "beginers" tree so to speak. I spread that poor thing all over a hillside, most of it was just pushed out of the way. I was told "good job", there was no good way to fall it, a losing game from the get-go, that is why they let me fall it. The other tree was a Cedar in the Northern Sierras. It wasn't huge, was halfway to being a snag, it was in our strip. I knew the minute I set steel to it, that it was a mistake, too late, I killed it. It was a Port Orford, way out of it's range, God only knows how it got to be there, but He knows who ended it.

Have you heard of "sport falling"? More bad.

I gotta agree with the crowd. Randy, you have a way of wording your stories that make me feel like I'm there. Thats a special gift that only few have.

I think a book written by you would be a good seller. I know I'd have a copy.

Yes my friend 'Centric, Ray is that man.

Sam, There are two trees in particular that still bother me. I felled a medium Redwood as a second saw, a "beginers" tree so to speak. I spread that poor thing all over a hillside, most of it was just pushed out of the way. I was told "good job", there was no good way to fall it, a losing game from the get-go, that is why they let me fall it. The other tree was a Cedar in the Northern Sierras. It wasn't huge, was halfway to being a snag, it was in our strip. I knew the minute I set steel to it, that it was a mistake, too late, I killed it. It was a Port Orford, way out of it's range, God only knows how it got to be there, but He knows who ended it.

Have you heard of "sport falling"? More bad.

There are some you don't forget, I know how that goes. There are definatly a few big ones seared in my memory that could have been handled/saved out better - Sam

Latest posts

Back