The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured CAT used cast steel for the winch housing. This one is aluminum. Anyway it is too heavy for me.

The ravines I am talking about are too steep for a tractor but relatively shallow 50 to 100'.

Before all our children arrived, I had an even smaller tractor. I mounted an 8000# worm drive winch to a box blade and replaced the electric motor with a small high speed hydraulic motor. The box blade made a very stable platform. Using a series of double pulleys I was able to pull small stumps to clear a backyard. Very slow but worked great until I pulled the worm gear through the cast aluminum housing. Had to sell my tractor and related stuff to provide for another arrival. Kids are all grown now. If I had a box blade I would built another one for simplicity sake.

Ron

The Gyppo Yarder (tm) is just 2 old tulsa winches hooked to a 10hp Tacumsa borrowed from a rototiller.

all mounted on a trailer frame, holds about 200' of 1/2" on the one side.

Slower then grandparents in january but it will pull some ridiculous wood, somewhere in my archives there is a pick of it lifting and moving a 36" 32' maple log, other then scaring everyone around with the rigging it didn't even blink at it.

Originally I had it mounted to the ole 9n where it promptly tacoed on the first log... ran it like that for 6 weeks... single drum with pto shaft on a trailer. Was a pulling beast but utterly week for the job.

If I had it to do all over again, I think a modern tractor skidding winch is the way to go... but then the yarder bought me a skidder and has sat in the back yard unused and collecting rust ever since. I keep thinking about reworking it and putting a little 2-3 cyl diesel with a 3-4 speed trans, a proper clutch and brakes of some sort and putting it to work again, buy why? There are old yarders that work better and hold more line for reasonable prices. Though with 30-40 hp and a couple gears it could be a viable option.

If I have already told this on myself here just ignore me. Speaking of weight and my ignorance, when I was shopping for the winch in my pictures I came across one still in the crate, or so I thought. I was thrilled when I won the bid somewhere south of $500. Like is customary on the military forum I then frequented, I posted a picture of my "win" (a shot looking down into the crate). I was quickly informed to the amusement of all but me that I had purchased a 40,000# hydraulic drag winch with 1" cable and to top it off it does not have a clutch - i.e. it won't freewheel - thus there was no way I could operate it by myself. All 1100#+ of it was mine and the removal clock was ticking. Fortunately I found someone who actually wanted a 40,000# drag winch and I worked a trade without ever touching the thing. Though thoroughly embarrassed, I was thankful that the folks who knew set me straight. I would have been in a heck of a bind to have arrived to find something that I couldn't transport.

Ron

and more bees

stung twice today
Only stung twice? I've had to take guy's to the hospital for getting stung so many times Benadryl barely helps without allergies, man up. We've all been chased around by hives it's part of life, now if you piss off an underground nest yes that can get serious that's a good reason to have a partner if you live through it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

descriptive process... relax fer ****s sake.

6th bees nest on this job.

Bee Bopper is spensive.
Matt I've worked jobs with worst then that grow up it's part of logging you mark them when you walk the job if you find them that's normal. Bee booper is normal carry for a faller if it's too expensive well maybe look at a lathe again I'm sorry but I don't have any sympathy for you, you won't even support the community that helps keep you working with lawsuits against environmentalists ect.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

How does a simple comment of BEES, turn into guilting me into feeling bad about a lawsuit I know nothing about?

its supposed to be a comic relieve thing, imagine my fat ass running and screaming... but no you have to be an ass about it.

Bees: it’s the Bees Fault.

After all of my head scratching on worm drive versus capstan, a small two speed planetary "fell into my lap" this week while on a business trip. Economics and the fact that I can't weld with a drill and a sawzall pushed me to go with the planetary. Here are two pictures of my Swiss army knife set up. The only thing bolted on is the winch. The little swivel hook is for grabbing my 3 point hitch log splitter. I was trying to use existing holes so my boom to winch clearance is a tad off. I will have to make a 1/2" spacer to raise the boom off the winch - the aluminum bar is just there for the photo. I will get the hydraulic lines installed this week. I made the guard on the tractor from a galvanized shelf I scrounged from the scrap yard.

Ron

IMG_2583.JPG IMG_2584.JPG

No choice, though i really don't care anymore, Logging is getting to the point i just can't keep up at 4 days a week anyway, having 5-6 to get some production done and still have a weekend is looking really ****ing nice right now.

And I've been sick of machining for several years now, its just a thing i do to make money, and the people are getting dumber every year... (blah blah blah I'm old, but no really the machines do all the work now, so thinking is unnecessary...)

Back