The downside of making wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh joy! I get to wake up the saws today! After a winter sitting on my fundament I am looking forward to it. Yesterday I cleaned up and loaded all the chips and bark from the wood pile plus some tree trimmings. In about an hour I am off to the wood patch to clean up the burn piles. Got 5 of them to do and at least two of them will involve cutting burned stumps ALAP plus moving all the half burned stuff onto what will be this seasons first brush pile.

I expect to come home black from top down but oh how nice it will be just to be out there doing again.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
Oh joy! I get to wake up the saws today! After a winter sitting on my fundament I am looking forward to it. Yesterday I cleaned up and loaded all the chips and bark from the wood pile plus some tree trimmings. In about an hour I am off to the wood patch to clean up the burn piles. Got 5 of them to do and at least two of them will involve cutting burned stumps ALAP plus moving all the half burned stuff onto what will be this seasons first brush pile.

I expect to come home black from top down but oh how nice it will be just to be out there doing again.

Harry K
I woke mine up about 3 weeks ago and have cut and stacked about 8 cords already. I'm working on the winter after next now. It's great to shut the saw off have a cup of hot coffee and listen to the birds that have come back from down south and an occasional gobbler off in the distance.Makes a man feel good to be alive!

4 of the 5 done. Saved the biggest and worst for last. Nothing like crawling arouind on your knees in wet ashes flush cutting stumps.

I'm not sure what year I will be working this season. Have somewhere between 25 and 30 cord (full, not face) in the storage yard now. 8 or 9 of them are locust.

I have been salvaging trees that were fire killed 5 years ago. Trying to get them all made up before they are no good. Only 9 left and all will go 30" and up DBH 60 or more ft high. Get near a cord per tree.

Harry K

ironhead said:
I woke mine up about 3 weeks ago and have cut and stacked about 8 cords already. I'm working on the winter after next now. It's great to shut the saw off have a cup of hot coffee and listen to the birds that have come back from down south and an occasional gobbler off in the distance.Makes a man feel good to be alive!
I know just what you mean. The guys I work with just don't understand it. They say it must be terrible to go home on your days off and cut wood all the time. I tell them I can hardly wait to get up in my woodlot. I saw some fisher tracks in my pines just last week. I'd love to get a glimpse of that bad boy.

I went out to the woods this morning with the tractor and drug about 3 codrs of logs out next to the road. I was in my tee shirt by 10.00am. it was great.It was the nicest day we have had so far this spring up here on lake Erie. I'm going to go back in the morning and cut up a cord and bring it home and split it if the weather holds out all day. I've gotten slower in age but i still enjoy it, i think more now than when i was a young buck.

Latest posts

Back