The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Kubota Subcompact BX2200 moves some pretty big logs. I don't do much so it suffices for now. I should have a larger tractor. I need the loader on and full of ballast or it will do a wheelie on slopes.

Well that 40 yard bin was set off at noon yesterday and I have it filled today! That's with blocks though as in no spitting. That's 6 full cords of Maple, Cherry and Ash. That's 15 tons of wood. Not bad for an old phooker like me!
The tractor is great for doing firewood too!
John
fw4.jpg
do you have a self releasing snatch block too?

My dad's 70 HP, 'Bota is a bit big for my woods. I am saving up for a 40-45 hp would be perfect for my woods. He has the extra-large bucket on it, and I am constantly hit trees lol.

Attachments

• 20190527_125606.jpg
    20190527_125606.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190527_165405.jpg
    20190527_165405.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240120_093821_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240120_093821_Photos.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
My last batch of firewood using my tractor. A standing dead White Oak:

RrXlyWs.jpg

Taking the trunk back to my firewood processing area:

CRL3Rnd.jpg

The backside of the resulting pile:

hGT7X05.jpg

The front side; my new logging helmet is clearly visible on top of the pile:

I23c7hZ.jpg

The advantage of using the grapple: Other than chain sawing and having to trim one log prior to travel - I never touched any of this wood. The other advantage: No dragging the log through the mud and dirt.

Correction to my last post: That was a Maple, not White Oak. :(

Pics of what we did with most of that pile of logs - note the mostly empty pile off to the right in the back:

BePGzXm.jpeg

BbNxt4N.jpeg

That's my BIL. He'll be back today to refill his truck. This was about all he could carry in both his trailer and truck - that wood was HEAVY! He's tying down one of my two empty firewood racks I built years ago; each rack holds ~1/2 cord of wood. He'll get the other one today. I don't need them anymore since I have ~15 cords of space in my two woodsheds and I'm working to empty my pole barn (seen in the background) so I can get to using it for pole barn things.

Back