The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's a great setup. The bigger tires on the front are a real plus too. That looks like 100hp tractor.
I thought about a cab, but most cabs are too wide and in the bush if you slide sideways agasinst a tree the cab is the first thing to get damaged.
Someone mentioned a 3ph grapple. This would be good if used in conjunction with a winch because it is not always practical to back up to every stump.
John

Anyway, it's getting cold out so I'm moving into my winter wardrobe.
John
yukon.jpg

Heres a few more pics I found. The big Ford is about 140hp, the smaller 4cyl is about 70hp. The small one is working on some big Knarly spruce and cedar clearcut.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
no articulation, you tend to use the bias brakes a bit though.
Dan, Haha, nice try. Wildthing probably sell more chainsaws than anyone else,would you buy one?
Bandits are a pile of ????e compared to a dynamic...

Dan, dont be childish. are you trying to bait me or do you want a serious discussion?

I'm only a dealer in the UK, I'm not going to benifit by US sales. I went out to see the dynamics for myself, and accepted a dealer offer because I was that impressed. I could have been a dealer for Woodsman, or a sub dealer for Morbark, Bandit or Farmi.
But I'm a contractor first, salesman second.

Stop Spamming this thread and post your (questions?) bollocks elsewhere.

Buzz, I like that fowarder. It would be great for delivering 10' firewood logs as well sawlogs to a dry landing. What kind of truck is that/
John

John looks like a Unimog.

Gypo Logger said:
Buzz, I like that fowarder. It would be great for delivering 10' firewood logs as well sawlogs to a dry landing. What kind of truck is that/
John

Do a search online, you'll be amazed what they can do.

I think I will. If I sell the skidder I can put the $ into accessories for the tractor. Such as FOPS , limb risers and belly pan and maybe a front end winch and a trailer.
John
v2.jpg

Of the 52 veneer logs I sold today, here is the best of the bunch. It had a 20" tip and scaled 160 board feet @ 10' long. That one log will make this month's tractor payment. :blob2:
John
v1.jpg

Although the fork is great for forwarding and neatly piling logs, extra precaution needs to be taken, especially with the snow. On a side slope the log can slide off the fork throwing a wrench into things. This is why it is best to skid them from the bush then handle them on the landing and main trail only.
John
v5.jpg

A buddy has a Kubota

Gypo Logger said:
Of the 52 veneer logs I sold today, here is the best of the bunch. It had a 20" tip and scaled 160 board feet @ 10' long. That one log will make this month's tractor payment. :blob2:
John
v1.jpg

A buddy of mine has a Kubota I think somewhere around 50hp with a loader and backhoe,he loves the machine.
Try checking on the unimogs I think you'll be impressed,They are like the swiss army knife of trucks.
Back in the 70's they offered what they called their forestry edition,front and rear ptos,3 way dump bed ,diesel,21 spd trans top speed around 45 mph.You could attach almost anything to them and run them.from farm to forest they are great rigs.
The National Gaurd runs some with a backhoe and frontend loader setup,I would love to get my hands on one.

Surprisingly those small tractors do pretty good at packing out logs.I've got 2 of these Fergys,one with a loader,one without.The loader has liquid filled tires,wheel weights and a barrel full of concrete on the rear.It will lift over a ton,but you can't steer it with that heavy of a load.It will handle about 1000 lbs pretty easily.
The one without a loader will pull most likely a ton and a half but the front end will be in the air.A moot point because you can't steer it that way. :rolleyes:
What small amount of actual logging I did,some years back,we used my D4 to drag out the logs.It was slow but you could pull a lot at one time.
I would think those little all wheel drives would be the cats meow for smaller type operations.Just think,now they have power steering,no more "armstrong" method,ha. ;)

That's a nice Oak log Al. Did you get it milled up? The weight distribution on a tractor I think is 60/40 with the rear being the heaviest while a skidder is 40/60 with the front being heavier. The Kubota is ok with 2200# on reasonaly good ground. The winch on the back keeps the tractor from "crabing", moving sideways from loss of stearing.
John

Whiteindustries said:
A buddy of mine has a Kubota I think somewhere around 50hp with a loader and backhoe,he loves the machine.
Try checking on the unimogs I think you'll be impressed,They are like the swiss army knife of trucks.
Back in the 70's they offered what they called their forestry edition,front and rear ptos,3 way dump bed ,diesel,21 spd trans top speed around 45 mph.You could attach almost anything to them and run them.from farm to forest they are great rigs.
The National Gaurd runs some with a backhoe and frontend loader setup,I would love to get my hands on one.
When I was exploring the Yukon's abandoned mining trails I would come across mysterious vehicle tracks through some of the most ungodliest terrain.
I bet they were Unimog tracks.
John
v4.jpg

Gypo - when you sell a log, does the mill buy it based on what they can see or do they mill it and pay based on what the final product is? Just wondering who takes the risk of there being an internal flaw.

Also, what are the marks on the end of the logs?

this set up is good for the smaller stuff. i just back up to the stick, drop the boom and the grapple opens around the end of the log or tree. i have it worked out with the ballist so if the hydro's can pick it up the front end is still on the ground to steer. i have had times i needed to steer with the brakes.
the wood box on the right fender holds the chainsaw and a piggy-back gas/oil can is mounted on the weights in front. the push fan from the engine keeps warm air flowing around the can to keep the bar oil warm in the winter.
marty

Back