The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JamesTX said:
I saw that too. Was the defect there before the tree was felled, or did it occur due to the impact with the ground?

Does it affect the value at all?

Hard to say James, but when I cut the log out above the cracked one, there was no crack, it just popped open. It must have been an extremely straight grained tree to do that. Impact would help as well, but Maple cracks mostly in subzero weather. Unless the log jumps in half, it can still be utilized.
John

I know that the 580 has been approved for purchase.That JCB will probably be used for more combat related missions.Its definetly impressive though.

Well that 40 yard bin was set off at noon yesterday and I have it filled today! That's with blocks though as in no spitting. That's 6 full cords of Maple, Cherry and Ash. That's 15 tons of wood. Not bad for an old phooker like me!
The tractor is great for doing firewood too!
John
fw4.jpg

We had a bunch of Ex Nato Unimogs..

keith c raymond said:
Those Unimog based machines that the U.S. National Guard run are called Seeflu 419s.It stands for small emplacement excavator.There are two versions that I am familiar with .One is a maintainance model with front forks and a crane in the rear.Its aux.hydraulic power ran a Impact wrench I think.The one that I am most familiar with because I was a trainer on had a 3/4yard toothed bucket on the front,and a Case 580style backhoe on the rear, less Extendahoe,with a 24''bucket .It had a hydraulic twin hose with twin quik connects for a Stanley 70# jackhammer and also a chainsaw ,also by Stanley.It also had a hydraulic drill.They had a four speed trans with high and low range button on the shifter,plus twin range lever with reverse,They had some downfalls,as it having a clutch,Inexperienced operators would dig in a bank or pile and beat the clutch up bad.Also the backhoe operated with a throttle button that was prone to fail,as it was in a exposed position.You would have to use the throttle in the cab.As I understand It ,the military is not ordering them any more they are going with a 580 Case backhoe.The Unimog core of the machine was exceptional,though,and they really attract attention wherever they go.

At a shop that I worked at we had six Ex Nato Unimogs that came out of Canada(We where getting them ready for resale,fluids filters tuneups etc).They where all 1966 gas engines with a longer wheelbase and either five or six speeds hi and low, I cannot remember.Our shop was at a gravel pit and we tested each one out, boy would those things climb!!!!!
I've owned Jeeps,Landcruisers,big trucks etc and those Unimogs would climb just about anything you put your front wheels against,Very Impressive.
I've been told the backhoe makes them very top heavy buy one of the operators.I guess one of the reasons they(Army) are doing away with them.

The ground clearance is high on those unimogs making them a high class ATV.
It's definately the machine for the ultimate off road experience.

Anyway, with 1000 lbs in the bucket it's no problem skidding 2000 lbs. behind even on uneven ground and in some pretty hairy technical situations.
John
fw5.jpg

Looks pretty handy

Gypo Logger said:
The ground clearance is high on those unimogs making them a high class ATV.
It's definately the machine for the ultimate off road experience.

Anyway, with 1000 lbs in the bucket it's no problem skidding 2000 lbs. behind even on uneven ground and in some pretty hairy technical situations.
John
fw5.jpg

I sent along some of your photos to my buddy down Maine.He wasnt sure his Kubota would be good for small scale logging.I think you proved him wrong.

I hope your friend enjoys using his tractor in the woods because it really alot of fun.
However, I must point out a few safety issues here.
A tractor is designed for the feild and not the forest, making it very vulnerable to damage and injury to the operator.
The tractor, unless properly equipted is not a skidder.
Take a look at the picture below. There are two dead Hemlock just waiting to fall on the tractor and/or the operator if that hitch is pulled against them.
Either cut them down before driving into the area or winch the hitch to you with lots of distance between the tractor and thedead trees which is what I did.
Safety first.
John
fw6.jpg

I'll pass that along

Gypo Logger said:
I hope your friend enjoys using his tractor in the woods because it really alot of fun.
However, I must point out a few safety issues here.
A tractor is designed for the feild and not the forest, making it very vulnerable to damage and injury to the operator.
The tractor, unless properly equipted is not a skidder.
Take a look at the picture below. There are two dead Hemlock just waiting to fall on the tractor and/or the operator if that hitch is pulled against them.
Either cut them down before driving into the area or winch the hitch to you with lots of distance between the tractor and thedead trees which is what I did.
Safety first.
John
fw6.jpg

My buddy(Pete) was more worried about pulling the backhoe on and off everytime he wanted to go into the woods.I think his tractor is a 50hp+- model, I forget the model number.He has a good head for safety but I will remind him again.He is in the process of buying a 145 acre woodlot just down the street from his home.

Whiteindustries said:
My buddy(Pete) was more worried about pulling the backhoe on and off everytime he wanted to go into the woods.I think his tractor is a 50hp+- model, I forget the model number.He has a good head for safety but I will remind him again.He is in the process of buying a 145 acre woodlot just down the street from his home.

Whiteindustries, just curious if you ever decided on which new saw to get? Were you thinking about a Dolmar?

Trying to shake some cash free...

asb151 said:
Whiteindustries, just curious if you ever decided on which new saw to get? Were you thinking about a Dolmar?

I am still going with the Dolmar 7900 unless I work a trade.I am waiting for some cash to free up as I am in the middle of moving north.
I was offered a Husky 575xp as a trade, The reviews where not that great here on the site and I would have been taking a beating in the trade$$.

Whiteindustries said:
I am still going with the Dolmar 7900 unless I work a trade.I am waiting for some cash to free up as I am in the middle of moving north.
I was offered a Husky 575xp as a trade, The reviews where not that great here on the site and I would have been taking a beating in the trade$$.

I think the 7900 is a good move. Let us know when you get it and how you like it. I may get one as well....after the holidays.

I will

asb151 said:
I think the 7900 is a good move. Let us know when you get it and how you like it. I may get one as well....after the holidays.

I will maybe santa will bring me one.lol I dont know how good a judge I will be?? After all I still love my 630super.

Need to get something like this for your kubota,

The cages on these are nice, tractors are junk tho, bigass belly pan on them only gives around 10" of ground clearance, get hung up on them all the time.
we have several at work, brokedown more than they are running.
www.woodsboss.com

Myself I think Gypo is doing a better job with his tractor than the skidder would do , doesnot tear the bush up as bad and with that blade on the back he can grade the trail anytime he wants, it looks like it is working out great for him and all that green gold, I walked 1 of my friends grounds the other day cause he was suppose to have all this green gold, I never seen 1 tree that would make copper let alone gold, lots of firewood

Gypo,
It looks like your winch doesn't have the chain hookup notches across the back like the Farmi. I can see with most of what you pull one log is plenty, but I often fill mine up when I'm pulling out firewood logs, plus one or two hooked to the cable. I also don't see any of the slides on your cable. If I have to direct a log while dragging, I'll wrap a strap around a tree and use them to pull which ever way I need. Last year however, I got lazy/smart and cut down on dragging the cable out. Now that I've opened things up some, I cut the trees and drag them with the tongs on my bucket to one location for hooking to the winch. As I said, I'm dealing mostly with small stuff.
Snows coming this week here, so I'm taking the tractor to my woodlot. Been way to wet around here. I'm looing forward to it, sitting on my butt running the backhoe doesn't tune me up like working in the woods.

JimL said:
Need to get something like this for your kubota,

The cages on these are nice, tractors are junk tho, bigass belly pan on them only gives around 10" of ground clearance, get hung up on them all the time.
we have several at work, brokedown more than they are running.
www.woodsboss.com

Hi Jim,

It`s hard to get a clear look at the tractor and the specs don`t seem to say who makes it but it looks like a New Holland. Is that right?

Les Payeur has a nice forestry package for farm tractors, too bad that their machine is built on a Kioti.

Russ

New Holland tractors. They always run but driveshafts, pto's transfer cases, winch screwups, front end problems.

we run them on ruff ground but I thought thats what they was made for.

JimL said:
we run them on ruff ground but I thought thats what they was made for.

Agreed. I`ve heard from several industry sources that the new style New Hollands aren`t what the Fords were.

Russ

New Holland tractors are absoloute rubbish *alledgedly!* in this industry. I know of a local conservation organistaion that run one and have had nothing but problems with it from day one ! They had a MF previousley than ran for 8 years before it was nicked !

Back