The Fire Pit Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bugs have finally receded to the point where sitting outside is again possible.

Every single horsefly in the county drowned itself in my dish basin the other day. Must have been 200 of them in there after a couple of hours. Just dirty water with Dawn dish soap (shrug). Whatever works.

Mosquitoes have backed off since I trimmed the yard.

2095CCAD-594C-40FE-B85D-000B6EA56A48.jpeg

a65bbb5b886b2d264c195304136f1148.jpg
camping in north west Michigan on our hunting property. Steaming baby back ribs in the pot then bbq them over oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s all that remains from about 2.5 cords of wood yesterday.
View attachment 660604

I built and set fire to this thing back in May.

19th May 1.jpg

19th May 2.jpg

I went back and raked it up every day for the next four days and when I went back to pick up the ash and cart it away (it was on someone else's private property so I was also on clean-up detail) on day 5 post-bonfire, some of the unburnt stuff still down the bottom caught fire in my trailer. Stuff says hot for a while under there!

I built and set fire to this thing back in May.

View attachment 660970

View attachment 660969

I went back and raked it up every day for the next four days and when I went back to pick up the ash and cart it away (it was on someone else's private property so I was also on clean-up detail) on day 5 post-bonfire, some of the unburnt stuff still down the bottom caught fire in my trailer. Stuff says hot for a while under there!
My Dad told the story, when he was a kid in the 30's, they burned all the debris from tree work. We still did that in the 70's, till we bought our first chipper. His dad also hauled scrap and would throw stuff on the fire to burn casings off. One time, way on the outside of the burn pile, his dad saw a rod about 2' long, and thought it was a piece of cast iron with ashes all over it. He bent over and grabbed it. Dad said there were 4-5 loud bangs and his dad started cussing and shaking his hand. Turned out the rod was a lead window weight, still molten. The loud bangs were his skin ripping open, and the lead filling the cracks. Kind of like dropping something red hot into water. Dad said his Mom had to pull the lead out of his fathers fingers with tweezers. That was days after the main fire had burned down.

My Dad told the story, when he was a kid in the 30's, they burned all the debris from tree work. We still did that in the 70's, till we bought our first chipper. His dad also hauled scrap and would throw stuff on the fire to burn casings off. One time, way on the outside of the burn pile, his dad saw a rod about 2' long, and thought it was a piece of cast iron with ashes all over it. He bent over and grabbed it. Dad said there were 4-5 loud bangs and his dad started cussing and shaking his hand. Turned out the rod was a lead window weight, still molten. The loud bangs were his skin ripping open, and the lead filling the cracks. Kind of like dropping something red hot into water. Dad said his Mom had to pull the lead out of his fathers fingers with tweezers. That was days after the main fire had burned down.

Ouch! That would have been almost barf-inducing.

Ouch! That would have been almost barf-inducing.
Dad had some good stories about his father. Like the time Dad walked home from school for lunch, they live across the street. The old man had a model T with a hand crank. He was having trouble getting it started so he told Dad to crank it while he sat inside messing with the spark and stuff. You are supposed to pull up on the handle so if it kicks back, it just rips out of you hand. If it kicks back while pushing down, it can break your wrist. It did, broke Dad's wrist and the bone pierced the skin and was sticking out. The old man got out of the truck, looked at the wrist and grabbed it right on the broken bone. Last thing Dad remembered, he passed out.

It was really mild last night with a cold front approaching. Prolly 16°C I'd say. Good firepit weather. I had chucked some noodles from the oak stacked in the background in the firepit. They're green and despite some other stuff on there as well, it was slow going and needed some liquid kindling/arsonist's helper to get going.

Success!

6th Jul 1.jpg

It was really mild last night with a cold front approaching. Prolly 16°C I'd say. Good firepit weather. I had chucked some noodles from the oak stacked in the background in the firepit. They're green and despite some other stuff on there as well, it was slow going and needed some liquid kindling/arsonist's helper to get going.

Success!

View attachment 661455
My kindling comes in a Blue Can, Bernzomatic Torch!:)

Back