The Genius of Stihl, an Amazing Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get tired of typing?

No not really. I thought I'd be kind to you Space and slack off on one of the greatest success stories in the chainsaw world. I know you love them other brands and I know they really have no story to tell. Might say I felt your pain and gave you a break,LOLOLOLOL

Well THALL ,I think we should let Eddie tell the rest of the story....:) :)

He's Stihl#1 .........:) :)

Well Eddie surely knows more than I do about Stihl but getting him to tell it may be a task. Went and seen his collection a week or so ago. He wasn't lying, I will never catch him, grrrr,LOL. Did meet his wife and family, Eddie is a lucky man. He gave me a 361 that needed alittle attention. I brought it home and a hour or two later she's purring like a kitten. If ya reading this Eddie, thanks. The 036 is awaiting to come to ya, just need to know where to send it..

Well, guys I just had minor surgery on my left hand so I will add alittle to the story, but it will be the Reader's Digest condensed version.
Picking up where bcorradi left off:
Stihl was active in other countries before the war, and now goes after that business again. He reactivates contacts and directs sales to be made in Italy, Africa, AU, and also through Mall in the US. He has already been selling scratcher chain to Mall.
For the sales people to cross country lines in Europe, sometimes they have to be stopped and inspected for disease, and have to sit and wait for the results to come in. But eventually the effort to make sales in the surrounding countries pays off.
In 1953 a auger attachment is marketed for the BL. Another diesel engine is produced, at 25 hp.
The company now has about 350 employees. Stihl now owns about 500 patents for his design work.
For all this to work and the export sales to continue to work well, Stihl explains to the staff that they must continue to be economic in costs, as it takes investment first to be able to make sales out of the country. He directs the staff to cut phone calls expense by a third, and start using post cards instead of letters where possible.
Stihl informs the staff that as Christmas approachs the bonus will not be as high as in years past, he states " at no other time has the struggle to survive been as hard as it is today."
The company is now 25 years old, but does not have a celebration to save the expense.
In spite of the hard times in the '50s, the company continues to push export sales development, and offer new models every year, so sales has something to talk about in the marketplace.
The BLK comes out, which stands for Gasoline, Light, Small, and is lighter than the BL.
The diesel engine line is broadened and offered on walk behind as well as ride on tractors. The diesel engines find their way to other markets in Europe for use on many different applications. They also begin export to S. America for use on pumps and other applications, and the importer for Argentina starts buying saws as well.
Stihl has also started a strong service network to provide after the sale support to end users.
Next will be the sales office started in the US.

Well THALL ,I think we should let Eddie tell the rest of the story....:) :)
He's Stihl#1 .........:) :)

Well Eddie surely knows more than I do about Stihl but getting him to tell it may be a task. Went and seen his collection a week or so ago. He wasn't lying, I will never catch him, grrrr,LOL. Did meet his wife and family, Eddie is a lucky man. He gave me a 361 that needed alittle attention. I brought it home and a hour or two later she's purring like a kitten. If ya reading this Eddie, thanks. The 036 is awaiting to come to ya, just need to know where to send it..

Cool to see you both around!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

No not really. I thought I'd be kind to you Space and slack off on one of the greatest success stories in the chainsaw world. I know you love them other brands and I know they really have no story to tell. Might say I felt your pain and gave you a break,LOLOLOLOL

First chainsaw and oldest chainsaw company is not a story to tell? ;-) :popcorn:

Last edited:
attachment.php

Oops Dale using my Dolmar 7900........:) :)

That's cool, but Tom hasn't posted much lately either....:cheers: :cheers:

So true Sawrtroll, I've been slacking. Thing is sales have been rolling and I've been pretty busy. Sales usually they slack off a tad around June but not this year. Even with high gas prices and a sluggish economy our Stihl sales here at the store have increased quite alot over last year.

I'll get back in here with ya and give you a hard time like old times soon as I get a breather around here,:cheers: :cheers:

Back