The Genius of Stihl, an Amazing Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You type pretty good one handed while holding a beer in the other, then again it is coming from your favorite spout,LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm going back to bed Woodie, keep drinking and keep away, I hate to shoot you on such a cold nite,hehehehe

Sleep tight, ya heathen...

024AV, lets see. 7 tooth .325 kit-1121-007-1001
8 tooth .325 kit-1121-007-1002
7 tooth 3/8 Picco kit-1121-007-1004
8 tooth 3/8 Picco kit-1121-007-1005
7 tooth 3/8 kit-1121-007-1035
Take ya choice.....

Serail number really isn't worth looking up for a saw that old. Its 20 years out of warranty....

Cheers Buddy we were thinking the clutch drum changed at some point ao the serial no might have been important:cheers:

Awww but where is the stock holders. You bring up a good point though. Peter Stihl said recently the board works and speaks on behalf of the family. He said as well that Stihl will remain as his father intended, family runned and owned.

Until, like I said in another post they start buying and selling thru the Chinese like everyone else will be doing in the future.

I don't care who they are they will succomb to the all mighty dollar. It is cheaper to have the Chinese make their saws and sell them at the same prices they do now(more profit). Of course Stihl will probably be the last to succomb when the Chinese finally get their manufacturing down right. But they will do it, you will see.

Until, like I said in another post they start buying and selling thru the Chinese like everyone else will be doing in the future.

I don't care who they are they will succomb to the all mighty dollar. It is cheaper to have the Chinese make their saws and sell them at the same prices they do now(more profit). Of course Stihl will probably be the last to succomb when the Chinese finally get their manufacturing down right. But they will do it, you will see.

That's a scarey post,and i hope it dose'nt come true!Alot of stuff sure has went that way.

The almighty dollar isn't so mighty right now. Wait until the Chinese start selling Stihl clones themselves and by-passing Stihl. They don't give a rat's azz about copyrights, intellectual rights, human rights, and patents.

The almighty dollar isn't so mighty right now. Wait until the Chinese start selling Stihl clones themselves and by-passing Stihl. They don't give a rat's azz about copyrights, intellectual rights, human rights, and patents.

Well Stihl(the main company) doesn't deal in dollars either. Point is it will be cheaper once the Chinese get their sh-t together to have them build them. And yes alot has gone that way.......

Well Stihl(the main company) doesn't deal in dollars either. Point is it will be cheaper once the Chinese get their sh-t together to have them build them. And yes alot has gone that way.......

BW,

I do not wish to pick a fight with you, but this statement is so far fetched that it must not go unchecked. Look at Stihl's sales in the USA, their plants in the USA and tell me how they don't deal in dollars.

Peace,

Joat

Well let me get this striaght. Now according to these Acre quotes Stihl is still the first, Dolmar made their first single man saw is 1952, and then J-red is 1954. OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK I GOT IT,LOLOL

Just going back to post #403. Someone forgot to check out Mike Acres site on Norway's 1948 Jo-Bu Senior as the first one man saw into production. At 38 lbs,125cc. 7,300 were sold. No not the 1950 Stihl BL as 1st, 1952 Dolmar CP as 2nd or the Jonsered in 1955 as 3rd[Nowegian Comet built the semi diesel in 1949 then sold to Jonsered in 1954/55]. It looks to me the 1950 Stihl BL was copied from the Jo-Bu Senior!! Check out Acres specs [125cc, 35-38 lbs]
Norway's Jo-Bu built and sold the first one man saw,1948. Also check out on Acres site on the Jo-Bu Junior sold in 1952. At 23 lbs., 76 cc and 40,000 of those were sold.
attachment.php

Last edited:

You may be right. Right now 69% of all Stihl made is made in the USA at Va Beach. The other 31% is built elsewhere around the world, mainly Germany.
They are still expanding at the Va Beach complex and they are still hiring there, still running 24/7. That in itself shines compared to other companies failing bigtime all over the world. I don't see them leaving Va Beach anytime soon. The Chinese may well be more growth and not a way to build things at lower cost. Thats a huge market in China, billions of people. I hope they cater to them with that stuff made there and not here. When they start downsizing in Va Beach instead of expanding there I'll beleive it, till then I'm not to concerned about it...

You may be right. Right now 69% of all Stihl made is made in the USA at Va Beach. The other 31% is built elsewhere around the world, mainly Germany.
They are still expanding at the Va Beach complex and they are still hiring there, still running 24/7. That in itself shines compared to other companies failing bigtime all over the world. I don't see them leaving Va Beach anytime soon. The Chinese may well be more growth and not a way to build things at lower cost. Thats a huge market in China, billions of people. I hope they cater to them with that stuff made there and not here. When they start downsizing in Va Beach instead of expanding there I'll beleive it, till then I'm not to concerned about it...

Tommie,

Ya know,

They manufacture Elvis CDs in China.

They manufacture Brylcream in China.

They roast and grind Folgers in China.

Gotcha,

Joat

I never heard of that saw you made mention of.

Hello Tom. I thought I'd get a response to this. There are good pictures on Mike Acres site on the Jo-Bu Junior and Senior. I have the book I bought from Baileys "Chainsaws A History". A Canadian David Lee wrote it with help from Mike Acres. The Norwegian Comet company was interesting, thats where Swedish Jonsered got their start building saws after they bought out Comet. The 1949 Comet diesel was only 19 lbs , it ran in any position and after being dunked in a barrel of water it could still be started , something the gas powered electric ignition saw couldn't do.

Last edited:
Norwegian company Jo-Bu sold saws in the US starting in 1967. In 1978 Electrolux bought them out along with Husky, Jonsered and Partner. The last Jo-Bu sold was the model 949 in 1982 which Jonsered later rebadged as a Jonsered 490. The Jo-Bu plant in Drobak,Norway today still makes guide bars and other parts for Jonsered and Husqvarna.

2007 is history now and 2008 begins. However history itself remains one of the most interesting topics of all time. Millions spend countless hours everyday researching history. That said I'm gonna start 2008 off on AS with a history lesson on one man, the man of Stihl, Andreas Stihl himself. This thread is for those of you that come to read and never seem to post, I know there are many of you. You've seen plenty of fun, non-sense and wealth of information on this site. You've seen the sometimes bitter brand wars and fun and play wars over chainsaws of all things. This thread is for mere reading for those interested in more than chainsaws. This is about one mans life long work that gave us what we know today as the modern chainsaw we all enjoy arguing about, fussing about and sometimes even agreeing about. Enjoy.

Andreas Stihl was born 11/10/1896 in Zurich. His father was a small time trucker/farmer and his mother was a orphan. Having strained relations with his father Andreas Stihl leaves his parental home at a young age. He obtains his leaving certificate from primary school in Switzerland and goes to live with relations in Germany. He attends secondary school in Singen am Hohentwiel, then grammar school in Dusseldorf-Oberkassel.

At age 19, in 1915, WW1 is raging. He is sent to the front line. He is wounded four times, seriously injured in 1916. The last injury leaves him with a disabled lefthand and only partial use of his arm. For this reason Andreas Stihl is discharged from military service in 1917. After leaving the service he decides to study mechanical engineering. In 1920 he passes his state examination in mechanical engineering at the Technical Institute in Eisenach, where he is staying with an aunt.

This is followed by three years with various reowned firms, as he later writes. Among other positions, he works as an expert for a steam engines, which were ofter used in sawmills in those days. He see's first hand how strenuous the work is in sawmills becaused the logs have to be taken to the sationary saws. The idea of developing a portable power saw comes to Andreas Stihl during this period.

{more to come}

Hmmm.........I'm wondering what the odds are of Stihl's dad being a trucker in 1896. Robb

Norwegian company Jo-Bu sold saws in the US starting in 1967. In 1978 Electrolux bought them out along with Husky, Jonsered and Partner. The last Jo-Bu sold was the model 949 in 1982 which Jonsered later rebadged as a Jonsered 490. The Jo-Bu plant in Drobak,Norway today still makes guide bars and other parts for Jonsered and Husqvarna.

That is true, but they sold saws in Canada before 1967, I believe - the Tiger.

Back