The Genius of Stihl, an Amazing Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would now be a safe time to go ahead and crap up this thread?

:D

LOLOL, see Woodie thats why I stopped , just top let you chime in ole boy. This is to be a real true fact story thread and plenty of breaks for the likes of you , you sucker!!,LOLOLOLOL

Hey Tom. I would suggest making your text a different color so it will be easier to scroll through to sort and read the story more quickly. :cheers:

Hoss -

Are there any coffee shops close to tommy that will deliver? Maybe one of us can order him some so he can tic tack all night. We may need to order some elvis tunes too. Please no Demi movies or we'll never hear more of the story ;).

Tom...try and use atleast two fingers or this going to take a long time man. Anxiously awaiting....

2007 is history now and 2008 begins. However history itself remains one of the most interesting topics of all time. Millions spend countless hours everyday researching history. That said I'm gonna start 2008 off on AS with a history lesson on one man, the man of Stihl, Andreas Stihl himself. This thread is for those of you that come to read and never seem to post, I know there are many of you. You've seen plenty of fun, non-sense and wealth of information on this site. You've seen the sometimes bitter brand wars and fun and play wars over chainsaws of all things. This thread is for mere reading for those interested in more than chainsaws. This is about one mans life long work that gave us what we know today as the modern chainsaw we all enjoy arguing about, fussing about and sometimes even agreeing about. Enjoy.

Andreas Stihl was born 11/10/1896 in Zurich. His father was a small time trucker/farmer and his mother was a orphan. Having strained relations with his father Andreas Stihl leaves his parental home at a young age. He obtains his leaving certificate from primary school in Switzerland and goes to live with relations in Germany. He attends secondary school in Singen am Hohentwiel, then grammar school in Dusseldorf-Oberkassel.

At age 19, in 1915, WW1 is raging. He is sent to the front line. He is wounded four times, seriously injured in 1916. The last injury leaves him with a disabled lefthand and only partial use of his arm. For this reason Andreas Stihl is discharged from military service in 1917. After leaving the service he decides to study mechanical engineering. In 1920 he passes his state examination in mechanical engineering at the Technical Institute in Eisenach, where he is staying with an aunt.

This is followed by three years with various reowned firms, as he later writes. Among other positions, he works as an expert for a steam engines, which were ofter used in sawmills in those days. He see's first hand how strenuous the work is in sawmills becaused the logs have to be taken to the sationary saws. The idea of developing a portable power saw comes to Andreas Stihl during this period.

{more to come}

The conditions for realizing his idea are poor to begin with. Its a time of rampant inflation. In the face of all the economic problems, Andreas Stihl embarks on going into business on his own in 1923. Together with Carl Hohl, a friend, who is also an engineer, he founds a consulting firm in Augusten-strasse 111 in Stutgart on March 1,1923. The officail registered size of the business and storage rooms is 3.5x5.7 meters, not quite 20 square meters.

Intitially, the business was run on a joint account. On August 10,1923,the firm converts into a general partnership, which is registered in the Stutgart
commercail register on August 18,1923. The purpose of the company is the planning and implementation of industrial plant as well as the sale of apporpiate machines. In the articles of partnership the partners undertake to devote their whole effort to the joint company to the best of their abilities.

(keep those last four words in mind)

{more to come}

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I see yaw , its break time, post folks. The story is gonna take months but I promise I will finnish it from start to end.........

"It was alot of fun but 90% all play and non-sense so no great loss. Tell me something Darin will this new server handle say a 15,000 post thread? My wheels are turning."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............Is this what the wheels where turning about, Thall? :)

Best Thread 2008 already?

Its New Years Day, and I think we have the best thread of 2008 started already!:cheers:

"It was alot of fun but 90% all play and non-sense so no great loss. Tell me something Darin will this new server handle say a 15,000 post thread? My wheels are turning."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............Is this what the wheels where turning about, Thall? :)

Man you are sharp as a tack, you are 100% correct. Good job!!!!!!!!!
I thought about it before but the server was having issues. Now that its fixed I figured why not. Smart man Trigger, you caught me, good job!!!

Its New Years Day, and I think we have the best thread of 2008 started already!:cheers:

Don't know if it will be the best but it will be word for word the true story of Stihl himself. I figure anyone that likes chainsaws will enjoy it.

Back