The highly valuable black walnut tree thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few years back after a good storm a guy comes in the store with a "great opportunity" for someone. Big black walnut blew over and he thought the wood was so valuable that someone ought to come over and do the entire clean up, including the stump, to get the one, not exactly spectacular, log out of this tree. Yard tree with lots of branches. He figured us being the saw shop that we'd be able to make a connection for him. Just politely said we'd pass it on.

So, 10 days later he comes back and asks "How'd you make out?", as though we were actually going to spend time on this. We had told the story to a couple of tree guys who though it was hilarious. I told him that the consensus was that he was just trying to get an expensive tree job done for free and no one was interested. He actually got mad and stuck to his guns, insisting that the wood was worth a lot of money. At this point we couldn't hold back the giggles and he gets madder yet. So, I'm like, "Why are you asking me to find somebody? Take some business cards off the rack or get the phone book out and call some tree companies and handle it like a grown up."

Had to "carefully" cut and salvage some storm-damaged spruce/pine yard trees for a character once. This was for 1 of the people I dealt with over in the "Lowballers" thread. Wanted to make some decorative boards for something. Everything was just firewood, but no matter what I told them they were bound set and determined they were going to get some boards out of it.

I saw a blow-down near home and offered to take the wood off his hands and pile the brush. He said it was HVW and was hoping to get some money for it. I gave him a business card and told him to call if nobody offered. I regularly drove by the place and one day the tree was gone.

.....about 5 years later! Rotten and full of mushrooms.

Yeah, I'm only about 30 miles out of Baltimore and we don't get the big city prices out here in the country. I did put some 8/4 Spalted Maple in a big farm auction a couple years ago, 5 footers, got $40 a piece for them. As I was saying in one of these threads, my farmer friend has a bunch of Black and English Walnut on her burn pile. I think the English is too far gone, but I'd like to get the BW forks. If they get buried before I can get my BIL to load them, I'll lose no sleep. I'm waiting to get the number of the guys that give $10,000 a log. I'll deliver anywhere in the lower 48, Joe.:cheers:

A long time ago in my youth, I worked at a wood working machine shop where we would occasionally run walnut lumber through a ripsaw and other machines. The stuff would produce clouds of *very* irritating smoke, and it seemed to dull the saw blades a lot faster than the other hardwoods. It's not an easy wood to work with. The finished product in a piece of furniture is very nice looking though. As I recall, the walnut lumber cost more than any of the other woods we had available.

Yeah, I'm only about 30 miles out of Baltimore and we don't get the big city prices out here in the country. I did put some 8/4 Spalted Maple in a big farm auction a couple years ago, 5 footers, got $40 a piece for them. As I was saying in one of these threads, my farmer friend has a bunch of Black and English Walnut on her burn pile. I think the English is too far gone, but I'd like to get the BW forks. If they get buried before I can get my BIL to load them, I'll lose no sleep. I'm waiting to get the number of the guys that give $10,000 a log. I'll deliver anywhere in the lower 48, Joe.:cheers:
just had some BW dropped off from one of my produce customers. might be some forks in the pile if you want some. which way out of Baltimore? i'm just north of Hanover,PA.

I'm in Frederick, probably 1 1/2 hours to Hanover. Thanks for the offer, but I have too many logs laying around waiting to be milled. There is a fellow in PA that I offered some BW my farmer friend has on her burn pile. I'd like to save it. Her burn pile is as big as a house. It's like a black hole, stuff gets piled on top and gets sucked in, never to be seen again. I just pulled 70 Oak fence boards out to use for other projects. Thanks again, Joe.

Jewelry box. I could not put tools in that. Gorgeous heirloom.
Dang it, I never have put tools in it either. I'll do it one of these days; I promise. Some say cherry hardwood makes a better tool box than walnut. I've made several cherry tool boxes but they all have flat tops. This walnut box show above is the only hip roof tool box that I have ever made.

Latest posts

Back