The highly valuable black walnut tree thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long time ago in my youth, I worked at a wood working machine shop where we would occasionally run walnut lumber through a ripsaw and other machines. The stuff would produce clouds of *very* irritating smoke, and it seemed to dull the saw blades a lot faster than the other hardwoods. It's not an easy wood to work with. The finished product in a piece of furniture is very nice looking though. As I recall, the walnut lumber cost more than any of the other woods we had available.
IMG_1789.JPG IMG_1789.JPG IMG_1789.JPG

I was asked to make a holster to hold two limbing chain saws for a Unilift Bucket loader that's used for tree trimming. The holster fastens to the front of the fiberglass bucket and the saw bars drop inside slots that cover them. I had some leftover black walnut already on board and used that with frame and panel construction. The owner slops on a coat of varnish every year. He's crazy about it. Sorry I have no Pic (my error).

I was asked to make a holster to hold two limbing chain saws for a Unilift Bucket loader that's used for tree trimming. The holster fastens to the front of the fiberglass bucket and the saw bars drop inside slots that cover them. I had some leftover black walnut already on board and used that with frame and panel construction. The owner slops on a coat of varnish every year. He's crazy about it. Sorry I have no Pic (my error).
Can you get a pic I would like to see that?

Last spring I had two quite large walnuts taken down. The utility was going up and down my road clearing anything that was at all close to overhead wires. They took all the branches under about 8"' and left me some really nice long trunk pieces. I cut, split, stacked right away, and was able to burn most of it last winter.

Last spring I had two quite large walnuts taken down. The utility was going up and down my road clearing anything that was at all close to overhead wires. They took all the branches under about 8"' and left me some really nice long trunk pieces. I cut, split, stacked right away, and was able to burn most of it last winter.
NO, NO, NO, you didn't BURN HIGHLY VALUABLE BLACK WALNUT, did you? Oh, that's alright, I burn it too. Drives the $10,000 a log guys crazy. When I can't get $10,000 a log, I get $200 a cord, Joe.

if i could "like" this 10 times, i would:rock::rock:

For something to be truly funny, there has to be an element of truth to it.

In the past couple weeks I have seen ads in CL for people attempting to sell "yard trees". Some buddies of mine who are full time loggers put semi loads of wood on the ground daily. To get the equipment in needed to process logs let along dealing with the brush and very high possibility of metal makes in economically not feasible.

Here is a good example. I would not take a twig this small if I was in the woods. I seldom take anything under 8".

https://madison.craigslist.org/zip/d/black-walnut-log/6259465891.html

Back