The highly valuable black walnut tree thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand, I'll never forget the walnut tree I bucked up six years ago. Embedded climbing spikes were staggered along the trunk every 16". Luckily, I was cutting rounds about the same length and missed all of them on the 12' length that the logger hauled in atop his flatbed. Neither one of us knew they were there until I split the rounds and uncovered them one after the other.

How I missed them all while bucking the rounds with the chainsaw was a small miracle. These climbing spikes were similar to large drift pins, but 30 years ago the tree had engulfed them from view.:rare2:

On the other hand, I'll never forget the walnut tree I bucked up six years ago. Embedded climbing spikes were staggered along the trunk every 16". Luckily, I was cutting rounds about the same length and missed all of them on the 12' length that the logger hauled in atop his flatbed. Neither one of us knew they were there until I split the rounds and uncovered them one after the other.

How I missed them all while bucking the rounds with the chainsaw was a small miracle. These climbing spikes were similar to large drift pins, but 30 years ago the tree had engulfed them from view.:rare2:
Did you post something about that way back when. I remember someone saying they had a tree full of big spikes and missed every one? Joe.

I can't believe I stumbled across this thread today. I was just griping on Facebook about highly valuable Walnut. Another person offered me all of the wood in exchange for removal, cleanup, and stump removal. I just showed them a picture of my burn pile with Walnut in it. They couldn't believe that people would just waste good wood like that.

I can't believe I stumbled across this thread today. I was just griping on Facebook about highly valuable Walnut. Another person offered me all of the wood in exchange for removal, cleanup, and stump removal. I just showed them a picture of my burn pile with Walnut in it. They couldn't believe that people would just waste good wood like that.

One person remarked that the White Ash I gave him to burn in his OWB looked "too nice to burn", but he also said he like the good burn time he got out of it too.

Did you post something about that way back when. I remember someone saying they had a tree full of big spikes and missed every one? Joe.
Yes, I believe that was my post also. On that thread, guys were posting all of the amazing things that they ran into while bucking logs. This walnut tree might have been used as a deer stand at one time and the hunter(s) needed stairs to go up the tree. The tree eventually "swallowed" the stairs that my log splitter uncovered..

Well I didn't realize that black walnut was so valuable I cut one down yesterday and split most of it up. I plan to burn it in the fire pit. Oh well. lol
View attachment 628147
I should never have sold black walnut last year, the year before, and during this past fall. Now I'm stocked out and my firewood customers that bought some are begging for more of it. Gasp!

more valuable walnut!! i figure about $200 +/- in this pile i split today.
View attachment 633274
$200??? That looks a lot more like $2000.00 worth. Just think of all the pepper shakers and spoons and chess sets that could be made out of it. Probably more like $5k!!!! I'll bet you could make a million off the finished product, should really charge more yet but nobody like greedy people. $6k and toss in some primo boxelder for the opposing chess pieces and salt shakers to make a matching set...............

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

I have a huge walnut in my front yard, dead. Had a guy come by a couple months ago and offered to cut it down for me AND let me keep all the small limbs if I let him take the trunk and the bigger limbs for his mill. I told him I'd have to pass, it all looked like good firewood to me, his jaw about hit the floor!

Well, I have to throw in another two cents. Last week I worked with a woodsmith on a 15' long black walnut log that was about 20" dia. He had an Alaskan saw mill setup and ripped it with a Makita DCS 6421 pulling a 32" bar. He took the widest 9' portion and gave me 6' to buck up for firewood. I also bucked up and took the two leftover slabs.

He ripped 10 boards, each about 1.5" thick and intends to make a dining room table with them. We changed chains about halfway through. The Makita performed flawlessly, even though the log was partially frozen, which slowed it down a tad. The boards were all straight as a dime and surprisingly smooth. Cutting speed along the length was at most 1/2" per second, and a half tank of fuel and bar oil was required for each board. I helped him load the boards onto his truck, but he wanted to unload it by himself. He's strong, but It was all he could do to lift one of them.

We finished in about two hours. He now has the boards on stickers for drying. The tree had been dead for about two years. When we were finished, about 10 bushels of sawdust was all that was left for waste. I should have taken Pics to post here, but I was asleep at the switch.

Thanks for the read.

Back