The highly valuable black walnut tree thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 637450 View attachment 637449 $1,463 for these logs. A little under 700 board feet.

They look great, but cut many logs just the same for $275 a cord. We never messed with little logs like yours we only cut the trunks for lumber. The trunks would be as small as 4' across with the larger ones at 10'. I was only aware of them being cut into gun stocks. The average trunks were about $6,000 to $8,000. Of course I only got the fire wood. Thanks

Well I didn't realize that black walnut was so valuable I cut one down yesterday and split most of it up. I plan to burn it in the fire pit. Oh well. lol
View attachment 628147
It looks pretty cool burning in a pit/or a stove :blob2:.
I had a nice sized piece of it I brought to another member to mill up, I'm sure it would be some beautiful boards @Sawyer Rob .

Sometimes house, buildings, and property owners block the value of walnut trees. Three years ago a tree removal company gave me all the black walnut trees they cut down in a homeowner's back yard. It was impossible to move the long logs out with any heavy equipment, such as a picker truck, because the house blocked off the in and out. The owner said he wanted no damage to the lawn, so we couldn't even drag them out with a pickup truck.

I ended up bucking them all into rounds, hoisting them onto a wheel barrow, and carrying the rounds one at a time to the front and then loading them onto the truck. That was work.

Sometimes house, buildings, and property owners block the value of walnut trees. Three years ago a tree removal company gave me all the black walnut trees they cut down in a homeowner's back yard. It was impossible to move the long logs out with any heavy equipment, such as a picker truck, because the house blocked off the in and out. The owner said he wanted no damage to the lawn, so we couldn't even drag them out with a pickup truck.

I ended up bucking them all into rounds, hoisting them onto a wheel barrow, and carrying the rounds one at a time to the front and then loading them onto the truck. That was work.
no black walnut is that valuable.:crazy2::crazy2:

no black walnut is that valuable.:crazy2::crazy2:
That's what LOML and all my friends said also when I told them what I had done. The total was six mounded up truckloads of rounds that yielded over five cords of splits. At least no customer complained whenever they burned it, and I imagine I knocked off two pounds of fat weight per truckload.

Th only problem with walnut is it make more ash than most, but does burn just fine. Sense the water shortage we have not had a big walnut crop so it might be a while before we have any extra walnut. I am coming across nice Oak now and then, but nice Oak can bring in $500 easy peasy all day every day summer or winter. I do cut some nice Oak slabs for furniture some times. Thanks

I thought I posted this the other day, but if I did I can't find it. BW target for my throwing ax.
Ejbz1ic.jpg

I found yet another source for black walnut, this time from a blonde who just bought a house not far away. She needs about four BW trees dropped and cleared from the yard, about 18" dia. apiece. Could be an interesting spring -- for firewood collection, of course. Right? I promise to wear blinders while running the saw, the wheelbarrow, etc..

My experience has been that if you have a large amount of Walnut to fill up a decent logging truck it might be possible to sell it. Or if you want to make some nice furniture with it go for it. Otherwise it burns fine too and other pyros enjoy it too. If you wears binders and cut off your leg I do not want to hear about. Your cuts will likely be crooked also. Thanks

saw a tractor trailer load of B/W logs this morning in my travels. nice big stuff. right behind it was a load of serious white oak. the name of the mill on the trucks is about 2 hours north of me so it must have been worthwhile.
I am sure it was for the mill LOL. Maybe or maybe not for the logger.

I am sure it was for the mill LOL. Maybe or maybe not for the logger.
Today I saw the opposite color -- hard maple ready for the taking on a flat yard out in the country. Not sure why it was ever cut down. Maybe the property owner got tired of looking a it. The tree was about 50 years old. Three trunks going up from the same root ball, the owner's son dropped them, wore out four saw chains, gave up, and called me to clear the rest. Must be five truckloads remaining there, and believe me, it's hard as nails and easily as dense as pin oak.

Check the numbers on hard maple. It's awfully good stuff. Maybe oak or hickory have more BTU/cord but not much and it's a good deal above walnut. I found that you just have to wait about a couple of months before splitting it. That's about it. Cheers!

I've got some black walnut split and stacked from last September that I might have to dig into as I'm about out of seasoned wood...

Now I do have another one that I need to fell, had the top knocked off of it while felling another tree over the summer, but my buddy wants an 8' section to hew into a decorative beam for his kitchen. The rest of it will be split and thrown in the stacks.

My buddy asked me to take down an old dead tree about 40" in diameter in the main log. I said that's a highly valuable walnut tree . He told me it wasn't a walnut at all. He said it used to grow walnuts but hasn't had any on it in a long time. It's about to be firewood.

Latest posts

Back