The highly valuable black walnut tree thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up climbing and swinging on Tarzan ropes in the Highly Valuable Black Walnut trees in this pic. Notice how the car is almost hidden in the second pic. View attachment 764090 View attachment 764091

Removing one of those would be work, limbing, brushing, bucking, splitting, moving, stacking and clean up. $1000 would not cover one of those monsters. I bet they give off a smell you remember, drinking a lemonade sitting under them. Nice! Did you ever throw those baseball sized nuts at each other, we would have. Might have broken a few windows with batting practice also.

Would be hard to find a mill for those logs around here, most places have gone to band mills. Local logger has a hard time selling anything over 40".

Removing one of those would be work, limbing, brushing, bucking, splitting, moving, stacking and clean up. $1000 would not cover one of those monsters. I bet they give off a smell you remember, drinking a lemonade sitting under them. Nice! Did you ever throw those baseball sized nuts at each other, we would have. Might have broken a few windows with batting practice also.

Would be hard to find a mill for those logs around here, most places have gone to band mills. Local logger has a hard time selling anything over 40".
Lots of walnut battles. And broken windows. Prolly lots of metal in them too. There is some chain hanging in the one crotch dad said they used to use for hanging stuff to butcher when he was a kid and he is 88.

Latest posts

Back