The highly valuable black walnut tree thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mill dad hauled logs to would get calls from homeowners asking if they would buy the logs from the walnut tree (or other "valuable" trees) from their yard. The owner always told them the policy on yard trees: "We will, but only if you first give us a deposit on repair or replacement costs for our blade on the mill. The deposit will be refunded it we don't hit anything." But usually the person on the other end hung up before he got to the refund part.

I was thinking about calling him to see if he would hold them till after New Years for me, I have to drive from MD. I was going to ask if he had enough extension cords to reach the tree, or if he could measure how far they were from a pug, so I could buy some extra's. I only have 50' for my Remington electric, Joe.

It's absolutely amazing at how many people think that the walnut trees in their yard are worth big money, dead or alive, even if they are threatening the house. If a tree that might pull in two grand at a sawmill does 1oo grand in damage to a house when it falls down, what is it really worth?

It's absolutely amazing at how many people think that the walnut trees in their yard are worth big money, dead or alive, even if they are threatening the house. If a tree that might pull in two grand at a sawmill does 1oo grand in damage to a house when it falls down, what is it really worth?
If a walnut tree falls in the wood and nobody buys it.......

I don't usually have too much of it as the trees are pretty tough, unlike oaks, and they're not all dying like the ashes. I like the way it smells burning though, so I usually cut it short for the little stove upstairs - you can smell it outside and when I'm reloading it anyway.

I sold a cord of it last year for $200. Are you saying I could have sold it for ten times that amount? Gasp! I blew it away.
Yea you screwed up. :buttkick: Its worth even more if you dont split it first.. Rounds are great for bowl makers and crafts and such. Cha-Ching$$$$ :crazy2::crazy2:

Yea you screwed up. :buttkick: Its worth even more if you dont split it first.. Rounds are great for bowl makers and crafts and such. Cha-Ching$$$$ :crazy2::crazy2:
Two years ago I helped a tree removal company with the clean up. Five good-sized walnut trees were taken down, so big that I had to noodle most of the rounds in half just to lift them onto the tail gate. I figure at least three full cords were removed from the property. I sold half and am still selling and burning the rest. One of my friends carried out a load also. These trees were healthy, solid to the core, but one dropped a branch on the roof of the house and the owner folded his cards and ran.

Our family farm is loaded with large, mature walnut trees. My grandfather had the idea that he would get rich from the lumber some day. Of course, no one could tell him otherwise. Now he is gone and I was thinking of having a few milled into flooring boards but I can only imagine how much metal is in them, either fence posts and barbed wire or bullets:)

Bullets don't generally slow down a chainsaw much or dull them so I would think the same could be said for a milling saw. Fence or fence posts on the other hand.... they'll slow or stop a saw from cutting all together. Pick out the trees that are away from the edges and away from the buildings or anywhere there was more human activity and I bet you'll be fine

Back