The Hipster Logger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my ax haphazardly sprayed with blue tree paint.

Edit: I'll give him credit for having two tin hats on the wall.

Last edited:
Good for him. New businesses are always appearing and disappearing. We shall see.

Re the handle it appeared to have alot of heartwood. And his grind was terrible! No fan to it at all.

I have a sacbbard upholstered in paisley for sale, own a piece of the american dream!

I'll keep my old Plumbs and Collinses and Sagers. I get 'em for next to nothing at second-hand stores, re-handle 'em, and they're good for another hundred years.

I have been looking for a good Kelly Perfect axe but they are rarely in good shape or cheap. I just learned a few months ago that Sager's were made near where I grew up but never seen one. They were apparently big out there with you guys in the PNW.

I am an axe nut, but this BMC stuff is pure marketing BS. I bet he goes to the wonderful wilderness of Jersey to try out the axes.

He's not "making" anything. He buys axes from Council tool and paints the handle. Compare his axes to Council's Velvicut line, they are identical. The only difference is the "Council" stamp on the head is replaced with "BMC". From that way he talks you would think he is forging those things in the back room and custom carving each handle.

:msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy:

Well, that sucks!!!! Here I was wishing some poofer Canuck arteest some good Mojo for at least making a go of it.

Odds are he's straight as a plumb line, broke, and running a hoodwink operation and knocking over the artsy citiot morons, and laughing his ass off. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Now I really gotta wish him well!!!!!!!!
He's pulling a Tom Sawyer on hipsters!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! Tears!, OMG!!!

Last edited:
I just learned a few months ago that Sager's were made near where I grew up but never seen one.

I think their Puget Sound pattern falling axes are about the baddest-ass double-bits ever made:

Photo279.jpg

Ah, the Sager. I went looking for 3 or 4 Packwood fleamarket times and finally found one for a member on here.
They usually have them at the flea market, but the price and condition varies. The first one I saw was $55 for just the head, and it had a big divot on the edge.

Now, I need another reason to go to this year's fleece markets in Packwood.

Bought one just like that two weeks ago at a barn place just outside of Yelm for $10. Haven't had time to get a handle on it yet. Need to go sort through the pile at Madsen's.

While your at it, keep an eye out for a Kelly Perfect axe. The Jersey pattern. ;)

:cheers:

What is this Kelley Ax with Jersey pattern? The Fleece Market is only 5 months away!

The Jersey pattern has cheeks that extend down the handle a bit. I like the pattern because it has a relatively large cutting edge that doesn't extend out too much.

2252335870049325427S600x600Q85.jpg

Far left, first graphic.

It'll actually be an unlikely find here -- most of the axes I've found have been variations on the Dayton pattern.

That axe doesn't appear to be a 'Jersey' pattern. The Kelly Perfect line of axes included Dayton, Michigan, Jersey and multiple double bit styles. Finding a good used axe is hard, even up here in Maine. Most of them look like they were used to build the railroad.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back