The I hate mud daubers Muffler mod thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagnerwerks

The underdog..
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I know there are a hundred muf mod threads, but I thought of this tonight and thought I'd share. I love the side exit muf mods, but they are notoriously hard to put a screen in. Unfortunately, almost every tool I hold dear ends up with a mud wasp nest in it. This inspired the screen install in my 357xp project. I cut a little slit with my dremel cut off wheel in the existing outlet and made a small screen to fit. Then I ground the outer edge flush and added a screw for security. What did you do to add a screen in a weird place?

We normally put the screen in the trash can. Had a Homelite come in today that wouldn't run above idle. Screen was almost fully plugged.

Unfortunately, almost every tool I hold dear ends up with a mud wasp nest in it. What did you do to add a screen in a weird place?
Its pretty convenient, but an added benefit of having a spoogy muffler (a little oil coming from the exit) is that those little buggers stay away from those kinds of openings.
My neighbor gets them in his stuff all the time, they avoid mine like the plague.

View attachment 418073 View attachment 418072 View attachment 418070 View attachment 418071 I know there are a hundred muf mod threads, but I thought of this tonight and thought I'd share. I love the side exit muf mods, but they are notoriously hard to put a screen in. Unfortunately, almost every tool I hold dear ends up with a mud wasp nest in it. This inspired the screen install in my 357xp project. I cut a little slit with my dremel cut off wheel in the existing outlet and made a small screen to fit. Then I ground the outer edge flush and added a screw for security. What did you do to add a screen in a weird place?

I like what you've done and I need to do the same on the same type muffler mod on a 357.

You cut the slit with the dremel into the body of the muffler, correct? How does the screw and washer type piece hold that screen in place?

Thanks for the pics and hope my questions make sense.

I'm happy for you guys that have polite mud wasps, but mine have already built one nest in a nice old poulan I had so apparently we have a diferent breed here;). I know that the screens plug up too, but you know why I'm doing this addition and I thought maybe someone that needs to run spark arresters may think it was handy.

The screen has a 90*bend on the part that the screw goes to. I used a washer cut into a strip to go accross the bent end to hold her in there. This pic shows where i cut the slit a little better. It kind of cuts the tip off the pipe to make the slot. The body of the muffler is cut out to the round outlet underneath all of that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 73
MM looks good. I got the same problem around here,hate thme there mud dubbers. I got to put tape on everything that has a hole. LOL. Their mud is strong I give them that.

Mud dauber issues are somewhat regional. In Michigan, we had them but around here in Georgia, they will literally plug every orifice in just about anything. I had a large box of hoses and tubes removed from aircraft and equipment in my "resource collection" and every end of every hose was plugged. They're very determined in this part of the country.

Around here we have lots of mud daubers, but they aren't too bad about plugging stuff up.. LEAF CUTTER BEES are the bane of my existence around here.. ANY hole about 1/4" in diameter will be plugged by them. all my propane barbeque hoses, all my fuel line, radiators, keyholes, etc.

When I put a screen on a muffler, I pleat it like an air filter to keep the flow through it acceptable while minimizing the space it takes up.. I'll use slightly larger screen most of the time too.

I'm happy for you guys that have polite mud wasps, but mine have already built one nest in a nice old poulan I had so apparently we have a diferent breed here;). I know that the screens plug up too, but you know why I'm doing this addition and I thought maybe someone that needs to run spark arresters may think it was handy.

The screen has a 90*bend on the part that the screw goes to. I used a washer cut into a strip to go accross the bent end to hold her in there. This pic shows where i cut the slit a little better. It kind of cuts the tip off the pipe to make the slot. The body of the muffler is cut out to the round outlet underneath all of that.

Thanks for the clarification and extra picture on that. I got it now and will be copying that soon I'm lucky, no mud daubbers here but I need a spark screen and yours looks like it'll work great.

Back