The Italian Stallion, Olympyk 999

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srcarr52

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
Reaction score
I've had this Olympyk 999 cut off saw converted to a chainsaw with a scored top end for a year or so now. I finally found a used piston and cylinder off evilBay about a month ago and put it together with a new set of Caber rings.

Any body up for a scavenger hunt?

IMG_2235_zps3a11f3b0.jpg

Top end assembled.

IMG_2234_zps1405b644.jpg

Now that is a carburetor. :msp_w00t: Husqvarna 395XP carb on the left for comparison.

IMG_2236_zps6ef4bb68.jpg

Almost ready to go.

IMG_2242_zpsa027aaad.jpg

IMG_2241_zps593476c7.jpg

With it's top on.

IMG_2244_zps0baa0390.jpg

Wearing a 36" Cannon roller and Stihl RSLHK.

IMG_2246_zps9f9241bb.jpg

It runs ok, a lot of torque, no throttle response... I think it could use a little help so it will be getting ported in the next few weeks.

It runs ok, a lot of torque, no throttle response... I think it could use a little help so it will be getting ported in the next few weeks.

Did you get a chainsaw crankcase and oil pump? I bought one of those once that was supposed to be "converted" but the guy hadn't done anything about the oiling system.

I ended up giving it away.

Did you get a chainsaw crankcase and oil pump? I bought one of those once that was supposed to be "converted" but the guy hadn't done anything about the oiling system.

I ended up giving it away.

No, it had been converted correctly. Oil pump is there, direct drive so it oils all the time, and it drowns the 36" bar in oil such that the tip was dripping when I got done.

No, it had been converted correctly. Oil pump is there, direct drive so it oils all the time, and it drowns the 36" bar in oil such that the tip was dripping when I got done.

Usually the cut-off saw crankcases on the 999 have no oiling passages. So even if a guy mounts an oil pump on the cut-off saw crankcase (typically,) there's no way for the oil pump to draw oil or get it to the bar. That was the case in the one I had. Mine also had the rev-limited ignition (6500.)

Usually the cut-off saw crankcases on the 999 have no oiling passages. So even if a guy mounts an oil pump on the cut-off saw crankcase (typically,) there's no way for the oil pump to draw oil or get it to the bar. That was the case in the one I had. Mine also had the rev-limited ignition (6500.)

Well it works. I still have the dummy oil pump, spacer and belt drive clutch drum. This had a rev limited carb but it's been disabled.

My mouth is watering right now! I have wanted one of these for YEARS. Crazy its a 99cc saw that is factory rated for up to a 60" bar.:rock: Thats nuts! Goes to show these saws have some BALLS. I'm jelous :msp_mad:

My mouth is watering right now! I have wanted one of these for YEARS. Crazy its a 99cc saw that is factory rated for up to a 60" bar.:rock: That's nuts! Goes to show these saws have some BALLS. I'm jealous :msp_mad:

I've seen it advertised as 101cc for the 999 or 103cc for the 999F which equates to a 56mm bore and a 41mm or 42mm stroke. Don't quote me on any of that but I do know this is a 56mm bore and a 41mm stroke so it's 101cc.

I've seen it advertised as 101cc for the 999 or 103cc for the 999F which equates to a 56mm bore and a 41mm or 42mm stroke. Don't quote me on any of that but I do know this is a 56mm bore and a 41mm stroke so it's 101cc.

:msp_unsure: crap I could have swore last time I checked mikes it said 99cc's. Opps Oh well still insane for 103cc to be rated for up to 60" bar.

Well with stock ports... minus the base gasket the numbers are.

160 compression cold.
0.030" squish
165 exhaust duration (169 with base gasket :msp_scared:)
124 transfer duration for 20 blowdown
136 intake duration

This thing feels pretty lazy to me. There is no throttle response and it lacks any upper end power. It likes to cut around 7500-8500 but it has a lot of grunt, it had an 8 pin on it. It will spool up to 12000 or so but it takes a while. I think most of it's problem is the low intake timing causing the terrible throttle response and it's lack of upper end grunt. Even though the carb is giant I still think it's starving. It was hard to tune the carb in, it was really sensitive on the high side and when you had the low side out enough to have semi-decent throttle response it would die when coming down from full throttle. Then the next problem would be a little too much exhaust timing, I'd like to see a few degrees less.

Opinions from people who know anything about these saws are welcome.

great looking saw:msp_thumbsup:

the carb looks almost 11/2 or bigger
why would it starve for fuel? is it timing or just not enough vacuum during the stroke.
I'm trying not to sound dumb, still new to these things,but very interested:msp_confused:

great looking saw:msp_thumbsup:

the carb looks almost 11/2 or bigger
why would it starve for fuel? is it timing or just not enough vacuum during the stroke.
I'm trying not to sound dumb, still new to these things,but very interested:msp_confused:

Yes, my thought is the carb is large but it has a poor signal due to the late opening of the intake. There will be a lot of pressure released when its first opened and that transient will mess with the fuel metering. It would be better to open it a little earlier and allow the intake velocity to build slower.

Is it just me or does it looks similar to big old Dolmar saws like the 166?

It's just you. :msp_biggrin: Or maybe all old saws look like cinder blocks.

Really this thing feels another 5 lbs heavier than the 166. Even the cylinder cover is magnesium.

I felt that this thing was a bit of a turd... so it hit the bench again.

Stock numbers:
Exhaust 165
Transfers 124
Intake 136
Blowdown 20.5

Setup to cut the squish.

IMG_2253_zps0dc89c4d.jpg

Squish before.

IMG_2254_zps2887755a.jpg

Squish after, -0.040".

IMG_2255_zps7adafc52.jpg

Cutting the base, -0.045" for 0.025" squish.

IMG_2257_zpse87df68a.jpg

Back