• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

The Joy of Road Salt

bplust

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi all,

It's that time of year again, the one where you cringe as, no matter how frequently it's washed, you see your hard earned investment covered in a corrosive substance.

To all of my fellow cold climate residents, do they salt where you live, or just sand?

Please state which state you live in, and if the roads are salted or just sanded.

I live in Northeastern Vermont, and I've seen my fair share of rotten-through rigs with less than 100k on the clock, so it's safe to say that they salt up here, and aren't shy about it.

Thanks for any replies and stay warm!

Bryan

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Fun with flying wood chips
Here near the NC/VA line, they use so much salt that spot and croakers could probably live in the freshwater ponds due to salt runoff. Personally, I don't like to get that stuff on my vehicles, and you would think that somebody could create a substance to melt ice, but not be corrosive. But until then, I'll just keep cussing when I meet a salt truck spreading "cheer". :crazy2:

Timbo74

Timbo74

ArboristSite Guru
I live in S/W Wisconsin.
They salt the crap out of the main roads here. The side roads get mostly sand, if they get anything at all.
It's common for the black top to be white, with salt, on the main roads.
Needless to say, most people that live in the country, off of back roads, have to have 4wd.

sixonetonoffun

sixonetonoffun

Addicted to ArboristSite
MN
Funny when some young guy watches a YouTube video showing how to change wheel bearings or brakes... Then can't even get the wheel off the car let alone axle nut ECT...

Worked in a tire shop for a couple years. Saw a lot of rusted out spring shackles, broken strut springs n sheot.

Land of 10,000 pot holes.

Timbo74

Timbo74

ArboristSite Guru
MN
Funny when some young guy watches a YouTube video showing how to change wheel bearings or brakes... Then can't even get the wheel off the car let alone axle nut ECT...

Worked in a tire shop for a couple years. Saw a lot of rusted out spring shackles, broken strut springs n sheot.

I've had to take a wheel off with a sledge before. The person who's breaks I was working on, didn't ever wash her car.

Duce

Addicted to ArboristSite
I put oil in every door, tailgate and body seam that I get at. Also use ccorrosion X aviation spray. Pulled box off truck twice, cleaned, descaled, powerwashed and sprayed with Chassis Saver. It's a battle for sure.

bplust

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
MN

Yup! I'm brought a dozen or so driveshafts a year for u-joint replacement. People watch Youtube and expect to press it out with two sockets and a vise with an 8" handle :laughing:.

bplust

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
I put oil in every door, tailgate and body seam that I get at. Also use ccorrosion X aviation spray. Pulled box off truck twice, cleaned, descaled, powerwashed and sprayed with Chassis Saver. It's a battle for sure.
I'm picking up a cheap set of doors this week, and I'm going to run them as my "winter doors".

sixonetonoffun

sixonetonoffun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Loosen lug nuts and let jack down fast. If that does not work drive and stab brakes. Works everytime.
Couple brought there vehicle to another shop in town cause we had a longer wait time.

The other guy took a torch and cut the rim around the lug nuts. I sheot you not. The tire and rim were free just the center of the rim and lug nuts were left on the vehicle. Gotta believe it was a newb but still!

Bullvi22

Bullvi22

Pretty Serious Amateur
WV here, around Charleston. The governor in his benevolence raised our vehicle registration fees to $50 and is claiming to use the money to replace the interstate asphalt. I was just thinking the other day I wonder how long it will last after the salt and snowplows get ahold of it.