ArboristSite.com Sponsors

The Joy of Road Salt

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by bplust, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Husky Man

Husky Man Addicted to ArboristSite

As a State, Oregon uses sand, and not near enough of it, they usually wait until there is a serious accident before the sanding trucks come out. Oregon's usual method of dealing with Snowy/Icy roads is to make Trucks chain up, to break it up, you'd swear that they pay by the pound for sand around here, not the ton.

Unfortunately, the City of Portland is starting to use Salt:(:(

Doug :cheers:

SeMoTony, Duce and bplust like this.
  2. Little Al

Little Al Addicted to ArboristSite

South west France the tollroads are a mix sand/salt some of the more used "RN"roads are grit/salt & the "D"grit the real rural get no treatment other than local DIY so that equates to having to pay extra to get your vehicle to corrode quicker

Duce, SeMoTony and bplust like this.
  3. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

Plenty of both snow and salt in the Upper Peninsula.

bplust and Duce like this.
  4. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

Like that 115 chassis. Out here at the coast, they pre-treat roads before a storm. They usually use some sort of “beet juice” that helps to keep ice from sticking to the road ways. When they run out of the juice, they just use pure salt. They use so much salt here, it corrodes cement barriers. Most cars/trucks don’t make much more than 10-12 years before they are rust buckets. Not much you can do about it. Years ago, there were companies that would “undercoat” vehicles by spraying 5 gals of hydraulic fluid underneath them but I think they have all gone out of business. They don’t like to use a lot of sand as they need to spend money to sweep it up in the spring.

SeMoTony, bplust and Duce like this.
  5. Tin-knocker

Tin-knocker ArboristSite Operative

Raised your registration to $50?!?! Holy smokes I'd love to have my registration be $50. Just paid mine the other day $298 for a 1500 Silverado. And that's every year!

SeMoTony, Timbo74, bplust and 2 others like this.
  6. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Use both here. Rust isn't too horrible. Not sure the exactly rhyme or reason to what is used. I guess they also use a brine spray as well.

I do know it's not nearly as bad as many other states thankfully - My 82 and 83 Chevys are getting a bit rusty. My 90 F450 is cherry, like looks nearly off the factory floor underneath, but it's only got about 55,000 miles too.

I grew up in Maine, lucky to get 15-20 years out of something before it's needing rust repair.
    5-6 years ago I was visiting and went with my brother to look at a few late 90s/early 2000s dump truck (f350, 3500 Chevs, etc)... so roughly 20 yrs old.
    I forgot how bad stuff rots out, one of the trucks most of the crossmembers and part of the frame was junk, like poke a screwdriver through!
    One they had to replace the diff covers and oil pan as they had rusted out. Not exactly tin can thin, plus oil on 1 side!

I had an 85 Blazer in Maine, it was sent to the junkyard in 03 or 04, frame was too rotted out to pass inspection. Body had been fixed several times (rockers mostly)

Duce, SeMoTony and sixonetonoffun like this.
  7. Timbo74

Timbo74 ArboristSite Guru

I just took my old reliable 91 Toyota Celica to the junk yard, before it broke in half...lol
    It was so rusty that the head rest of the drivers seat, rested against the left side pillar. You could see from the outside, through the windshield...how ridiculously cocky-eyed the seat was. There was only one mount still connected.
    At every corner, you would hear this creaking noise, that was much worse in the cold...like the unibody was ready to crumble.
    The funny thing is that 5 years ago, there was not one spot of visible rust, but it always had the creaking noise, since I bought it.
    I didn't realize how much it was gone until I tried to Jack it up, at the factory Jack up point, with the factory Jack...and the jack up point crumbled.

olyman, Duce, SeMoTony and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bullvi22

Bullvi22 Firewoodin Machinist

Yikes. Seems like every state has their way of getting you. We also pay personal property tax on vehicles every year.

9. Tin-knocker

Yeah it's like my state hasn't found a way of not getting you! But that's California for you.

10. Bullvi22

Bullvi22 Firewoodin Machinist

Oh boy, CA is a special case isn’t she :surprised3:

11. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

Rusty cars cause cancer in California I hear.

Duce likes this.
  12. grizz55chev

grizz55chev Addicted to ArboristSite

Wouldn’t surprise me!:rolleyes:

Duce and yooper like this.
  13. 92utownxh

92utownxh ArboristSite Operative

Lots of salt in southern Indiana. A few months ago I sold our 1999 GMC 1500 while it still had some frame left to sell. Cross member was rotted out, trailer hitch/frame about gone. Had just over 100,000. Hated that. I think that was partly the year and make, but it was bad. It seems like the older trucks lasted better.

Duce likes this.
  14. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

MN uses salt in most places, a lot of it along with the gravel. Not only do you get the salt corrosion but the sand/gravel wears its way through any kind of coating you put on just so the salt can get to the metal quicker. Not to mention the windshield pitting from the gravel. We also have a lot of iron in the sand so if you have a light colored vehicle they get covered in little tiny rust specs that are embedded in the paint/clear coat/wax that don't come off with a normal washing. The funny thing is that I see cars that are washed at least once a week that rust in 2-3 years and cars that haven't been washed in 2-3 years that don't have any rust, it's strange.

sixonetonoffun and Duce like this.
  15. ammoaddict

ammoaddict ArboristSite Guru

NC here. We just had a 16" snow Sunday, so yeah we got salt.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

16. Jersey Bob

Jersey Bob ArboristSite Operative

They use salt and brine here in this marvelous state. I put a mixing valve in the basement and connected it to the hose bib in the front of the house so I can have warm water to rinse the salt off the underbody and car.
    I'm waiting for the neighbors to figure it out and find them in the driveway washing their cars!

Duce likes this.
  17. ammoaddict

ammoaddict ArboristSite Guru

I just paid mine on 2018 Sierra in NC. $380 highway use tax and $67 license plate.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

18. Duce

Duce Addicted to ArboristSite

Those little rust specs come right off with Works toilet bowl cleaner, just rinse right after, wash and wax. Wear rubber gloves.

bplust likes this.
  19. Tin-knocker

Ouch! My wife had a sierra when we were first dating I think her registration was somewhere around the $500 mark. Makes me sick to see them charging that much and then I'm driving these crappy roads all the time. Glad to see my money isn't being wasted! :crazy:

20. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

MN registration is based on vehicle value for anything under 10,000 GVW. New truck might run between $700 and $1100 and drop to $37 after 7 years, 1 ton and up are a flat $140 forever