ArboristSite.com Sponsors

The Joy of Road Salt

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by bplust, Dec 10, 2018.

1. ammoaddict

ammoaddict ArboristSite Guru

NC is based on value too. They set their own value. Their value is $6000 more than I paid for the truck. It goes down some each year but not a whole lot.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Duce likes this.
  2. Brian72

Brian72 ArboristSite Guru

PA guy here. Our vehicles get beat to s**t by potholes all summer and salt in the winter. The roads get pre-treated with brine spray ( sticks to everything like glue) but I don't see much hard salt being spread behind the plow trucks. PennDOT has pretty much become worthless. Our highways are usually piled up with crashes before I ever see plows. The National Guard being deployed is becoming quite common. Highways commonly shut down for 12 to 24 hrs.+.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Duce likes this.
  3. B Brown

B Brown ArboristSite Member

I hate to say it, but, i'm betting oregon uses a lot more salt, or salt substitute than they tell us. I know a guy in oregon who worked for the county road dept, he said, they would salt the sand pile every year. Its actually crushed rock, called 1/4 10. Cinders are what really work. They also use a liquid, that has a lot of salt in it, even beet juice i was told. I feel for the people who live in states where they really pour on the salt in the winter, it rusts the heck out of anything metal, cars, trucks, etc, etc. Then, it goes straight into the ground water, that's not good at all.

olyman and Duce like this.
  4. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.

I lived in Oregon for a few years. They do use a liquid of some kind and spray it on the ice / snow. I was driving north on I-5 about 11 pm and got stuck behind a truck spraying it.

It was down to one lane only and I had to follow the SOB for about 5 miles before I could finally get around him. The crap he was spraying got all over my vehicle, to include the windshield. Made one Hell of a mess of my vehicle.

Once I got into town, I had to go find a self-service car wash that was still operating. I spent about $5.00 rinsing the crap off my car. Under neath as well as best I could. :mad:

5. stihl023/5

stihl023/5 Addicted to ArboristSite

They salt everything. Buy it rusty, drive it til it rots.

Duce likes this.
  6. LoveStihlQuality

LoveStihlQuality Addicted to ArboristSite

Indiana has used the slurry on roads when snow expected. Long time service advisor believes more advanced early cancer since slurry used.
    I'm retired but when I was firefighter, I regularly brought one of my vehicles in to detail. I would spend long time washing undercarriage and wheel wells. Lots of crud.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

crowbuster and Duce like this.
  7. TreeTangler

TreeTangler ArboristSite Guru

I just read 3 pages of people complaining all the while chuckling to myself. I hate to make this a pissing match, but please, allow me. I live in northern Maine. Not only do we get healthy and regular doses of salt, but they use this amazing thing called magnesium chloride. Not only does it rust out anything it touches at a rate 10 times that of normal salt, but it also "sticks" to everything. You cant even wash it off. It is pretty much permanently adhered to the surface it comes into contact with, hence why they use it. We have 4 year old trucks with visible rust in body panels, not just a surface rust on the frame, it's bad.

Oh, and if we're talking about registrations? I just registered my new 2018 Sierra, $1200. Next year, it might drop to $1100 or so. They go by the MSRP value and we pay use tax as well as a thing called excise tax.

And to add insult to injury, it's been below zero outside or darn close to it since November this year pretty much 90% of the time lol.

olyman likes this.
  8. Markus

Markus ArboristSite Operative

I see a /8 mercedes in your avatar, which model is it? I've had a few myself, a w114 250CE, a w115 220D, a w124 300TE-24 and a w124 300CE-24 :)

And yes, they do use salt on the roads here too. The last few years it has gotten much worse than before, now they seem to think that adding salt to a few cm of fresh snow is better than plowing...

9. ham

ham ArboristSite Operative

F all of that. I live in Atlanta for a reason. Zero interest in owning a snow plow or blower or whatever you use to move snow. Just hard pass

10. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I haven't washed my vehicles in years - one of them I've never washed. My mechanic loves me. :angry:

11. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Where at? I grew up in Van Buren. Have family all over the area.