• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

The Joy of Road Salt

ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
MN registration is based on vehicle value for anything under 10,000 GVW. New truck might run between $700 and $1100 and drop to $37 after 7 years, 1 ton and up are a flat $140 forever
NC is based on value too. They set their own value. Their value is $6000 more than I paid for the truck. It goes down some each year but not a whole lot.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Brian72

Brian72

ArboristSite Guru
PA guy here. Our vehicles get beat to s**t by potholes all summer and salt in the winter. The roads get pre-treated with brine spray ( sticks to everything like glue) but I don't see much hard salt being spread behind the plow trucks. PennDOT has pretty much become worthless. Our highways are usually piled up with crashes before I ever see plows. The National Guard being deployed is becoming quite common. Highways commonly shut down for 12 to 24 hrs.+.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

B Brown

B Brown

ArboristSite Operative
I hate to say it, but, i'm betting oregon uses a lot more salt, or salt substitute than they tell us. I know a guy in oregon who worked for the county road dept, he said, they would salt the sand pile every year. Its actually crushed rock, called 1/4 10. Cinders are what really work. They also use a liquid, that has a lot of salt in it, even beet juice i was told. I feel for the people who live in states where they really pour on the salt in the winter, it rusts the heck out of anything metal, cars, trucks, etc, etc. Then, it goes straight into the ground water, that's not good at all.

As a State, Oregon uses sand, and not near enough of it, they usually wait until there is a serious accident before the sanding trucks come out. Oregon's usual method of dealing with Snowy/Icy roads is to make Trucks chain up, to break it up, you'd swear that they pay by the pound for sand around here, not the ton.

Unfortunately, the City of Portland is starting to use Salt:(:(

Doug :cheers:

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
I hate to say it, but, i'm betting oregon uses a lot more salt, or salt substitute than they tell us. I know a guy in oregon who worked for the county road dept, he said, they would salt the sand pile every year. Its actually crushed rock, called 1/4 10. Cinders are what really work. They also use a liquid, that has a lot of salt in it, even beet juice i was told. I feel for the people who live in states where they really pour on the salt in the winter, it rusts the heck out of anything metal, cars, trucks, etc, etc. Then, it goes straight into the ground water, that's not good at all.

I lived in Oregon for a few years. They do use a liquid of some kind and spray it on the ice / snow. I was driving north on I-5 about 11 pm and got stuck behind a truck spraying it.

It was down to one lane only and I had to follow the SOB for about 5 miles before I could finally get around him. The crap he was spraying got all over my vehicle, to include the windshield. Made one Hell of a mess of my vehicle.

Once I got into town, I had to go find a self-service car wash that was still operating. I spent about $5.00 rinsing the crap off my car. Under neath as well as best I could. :mad:

LoveStihlQuality

LoveStihlQuality

Addicted to ArboristSite
Indiana, they salt here. My ole 97 is getting lighter by the day.
Indiana has used the slurry on roads when snow expected. Long time service advisor believes more advanced early cancer since slurry used.
I'm retired but when I was firefighter, I regularly brought one of my vehicles in to detail. I would spend long time washing undercarriage and wheel wells. Lots of crud.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

TreeTangler

TreeTangler

ArboristSite Guru
I just read 3 pages of people complaining all the while chuckling to myself. I hate to make this a pissing match, but please, allow me. I live in northern Maine. Not only do we get healthy and regular doses of salt, but they use this amazing thing called magnesium chloride. Not only does it rust out anything it touches at a rate 10 times that of normal salt, but it also "sticks" to everything. You cant even wash it off. It is pretty much permanently adhered to the surface it comes into contact with, hence why they use it. We have 4 year old trucks with visible rust in body panels, not just a surface rust on the frame, it's bad.

Oh, and if we're talking about registrations? I just registered my new 2018 Sierra, $1200. Next year, it might drop to $1100 or so. They go by the MSRP value and we pay use tax as well as a thing called excise tax.

And to add insult to injury, it's been below zero outside or darn close to it since November this year pretty much 90% of the time lol.

Deleted member 110241
D

Deleted member 110241

Hi all,

It's that time of year again, the one where you cringe as, no matter how frequently it's washed, you see your hard earned investment covered in a corrosive substance.

To all of my fellow cold climate residents, do they salt where you live, or just sand?

Please state which state you live in, and if the roads are salted or just sanded.

I live in Northeastern Vermont, and I've seen my fair share of rotten-through rigs with less than 100k on the clock, so it's safe to say that they salt up here, and aren't shy about it.

Thanks for any replies and stay warm!

Bryan
I see a /8 mercedes in your avatar, which model is it? I've had a few myself, a w114 250CE, a w115 220D, a w124 300TE-24 and a w124 300CE-24 :)

And yes, they do use salt on the roads here too. The last few years it has gotten much worse than before, now they seem to think that adding salt to a few cm of fresh snow is better than plowing...

ham

ArboristSite Operative
F all of that. I live in Atlanta for a reason. Zero interest in owning a snow plow or blower or whatever you use to move snow. Just hard pass

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just read 3 pages of people complaining all the while chuckling to myself. I hate to make this a pissing match, but please, allow me. I live in northern Maine. Not only do we get healthy and regular doses of salt, but they use this amazing thing called magnesium chloride. Not only does it rust out anything it touches at a rate 10 times that of normal salt, but it also "sticks" to everything. You cant even wash it off. It is pretty much permanently adhered to the surface it comes into contact with, hence why they use it. We have 4 year old trucks with visible rust in body panels, not just a surface rust on the frame, it's bad.

Oh, and if we're talking about registrations? I just registered my new 2018 Sierra, $1200. Next year, it might drop to $1100 or so. They go by the MSRP value and we pay use tax as well as a thing called excise tax.

And to add insult to injury, it's been below zero outside or darn close to it since November this year pretty much 90% of the time lol.
Where at? I grew up in Van Buren. Have family all over the area.