The Larch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comedy skits.

Nah, it can be sawed up for lumber and was. We left it as leave trees in the "take all the dead and dying lodgepole" sales. It's pretty fire resilient. It does make excellent firewood. It splits nicely. One must be able to tell whether it is actually a snag or not if cutting snags for firewood in the winter. We had a new district ranger who complained about how heavy the chunks were from the snags he cut down....oops.

Larch must mean different things to different people or the meaning has changed. My Dad told they called what is now Capitol Peak in the Capitol Forest Larch Mountain. I assume it was mostly Noble Fir.

Does Larch look like it is dead in winter time?
We have a lot of Larch around my area. (At least that is what the locals told me it is) The strip mine companies use it to re-plant strip mines after the equipment moves out. It goes completely brown in winter time and all the needles fall off.

Larch must mean different things to different people or the meaning has changed. My Dad told they called what is now Capitol Peak in the Capitol Forest Larch Mountain. I assume it was mostly Noble Fir.

This is why forester use the latin or 'scientific name'. Larch is Larix. Not a fir(abies), or in the fir family. In the US it is often referred to as Tamarack.

They do that with white fir and hemlock hence the term Hem-Fir at the lumber store.

I often find myself correcting the locals, including some foresters, when they refer to the Hemlock here as Douglas Fir, or Fir. Hemlock is far more common and is often made into the Hem-Fir product you mentioned. It seems to be graded more for framing, panels. and decking.

LarchTurning.jpg

Just had my property in NW Montana logged this Sept. We left the Doug Fir, Larch and some Spruce. All the Piss Fir was cut and most of the lodgepole. Doug Fir and Larch went into one pile unless they were large enough to be peelers. Spruce and lodgepole went into another pile (stud logs). Piss Fir (subalpine fir/white fir) went into its own pile as stud logs or for dimensional lumber. The last two piles were pulp wood (pithy) and then firewood.

This photo shows one of the larch trees that were left as seed trees the day we left and headed back east. Note how it is turning yellow from the top down as it was colder in the upper story the preceeding few nights. All the needles will turn brown and drop in the coming weeks. The larch and aspen are what make fall in the Rockies more beautiful than the east's fall colors.

I have quite a bit of Hack, Hack-ma-tack, Tamarack, or Larch on my property. It is was mostly used for Mud sills for building that meaning the sill sits directly on the ground. Also another use was and is for "Ship Knees" , they dig up the stump and saw it on a mill. They use the Knees to form the bottom- front, bow/floor of ships. About 10 years ago a man close to me called and asked if he could come and potentially dig up some stumps for this purpose. He did this solely for a living and a good one at that. About 3 days later he was killed while doing this at his farm I am not sure of the details though.
I use it for sills for my barn and shed and a carrying timber for our addition . That one was 8x8 x 24' most of mine are about 20"+ on the stump and 70' tall give or take and it is some heavy stuff. I cut about 10 cords for pulp years ago and the 4' butt cuts took two of us to lift them 3 feet onto my woods trailer, I would guess those were 20" - 24" on the stump and weighed over 300# each.

Latest posts

Back