THE LEGENDARY 'CUDA MUSCLE CAR IS COMING BACK, AND 2020 CAN'T COME FAST ENOUGH

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to high school in the late '60's and there was a class-mate who bought a Cuda with the 340 Six-pack engine in Orange. He kept it forever after totaling it, and then back in the early 2000's he resurrected the automobile and put it back on the street again. That had to have been a pretty rare car.
If the Cuda comes back, it will sell. I am now retired with a blue-collar pension so I won't be affording a new Cuda. :-(

My salivary glands are still watering after looking at that collection shown above. Wow $$$$$
I see used ones selling in the$50,000 range. It's tempting but I can make more hp and street driveable with my 70 Cuda for way less. I'm still considering a used v6 challenger. For $6,000 you can get the himi, computer and everything else you need for the conversion. The second generation himi is still the one to beat with exception to the himis used in the Demon. That block is different than all the other himi challengers. It's built for the hp the super charger on it will make.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/264460/dodge-demon-stock-quarter-mile/amp/

So, who knows something about Olds 455 ?
I recently drug home a 455 Olds marine engine which of course had been standing out in the rain for hmm, how many years ? I bought if for the "C" heads to put on a another 455 marine short block. I measure the intake valves to be 2-inch.
My question is that not having built a 455 previously, when I go to Summit Racing I am not so sure of what I must purchase ?
I need to purchase 4 intake valves because of the rust from the standing water over several years. Is the 2-inch intake valve spec'd as a 2.02 ?

And one other question is what is a fairly easy method of checking stem height on these. Is there a guage which works pretty slick for checking height ?

So, does the Cutlass convertible have a 400 or 455 ?

thanks guys,

So, who knows something about Olds 455 ?
I recently drug home a 455 Olds marine engine which of course had been standing out in the rain for hmm, how many years ? I bought if for the "C" heads to put on a another 455 marine short block. I measure the intake valves to be 2-inch.
My question is that not having built a 455 previously, when I go to Summit Racing I am not so sure of what I must purchase ?
I need to purchase 4 intake valves because of the rust from the standing water over several years. Is the 2-inch intake valve spec'd as a 2.02 ?

And one other question is what is a fairly easy method of checking stem height on these. Is there a guage which works pretty slick for checking height ?

So, does the Cutlass convertible have a 400 or 455 ?

thanks guys,
There are nice tools for checking stem height.....kinda pricey just to check a few valves. I have one that goes in place of the spring with the retainer over it. It's marked so you can read thousandths or ten thousandth as you turn it to expand under the retainer. Check all the valves and record your measurements. Grind valve faces and seats then measure all again and record. That measurement compared to the first tells you how much to take off the stem for correct height. You'll have to research to find the correct installed height.

thanks Eric, I can probably pick up a stem-height gauge from Summit, and they can give me some guidance on my valve choices.

How times have changed from purchasing a 400 hp car off the showroom in the late '60's to today where the hp exceeds 650 or more !
We now have variable cam timing and turbos with variable pitch vanes to improve lag.

thanks Eric, I can probably pick up a stem-height gauge from Summit, and they can give me some guidance on my valve choices.

How times have changed from purchasing a 400 hp car off the showroom in the late '60's to today where the hp exceeds 650 or more !
We now have variable cam timing and turbos with variable pitch vanes to improve lag.
Wish I could help more but I'm not familiar with olds valve sizes. I'd be worried about stem size as much of anything. Without machining or checking ID on the guides your new valves may be too loose or too tight. I like your engine choice, the 455s hauled ass.

Amen! My 2013 GT350 was a bucket list item. All aluminum 32 valve V8 with independently variable valve timing and a supercharger. 624HP but purrs like a kitten at low RPM's.

80-20170613_201449_zpsqemhsxeg_93e26e2fc67ffca49a8dfd977f58172a9fb37d24.jpg

You mean "Hemi" right, for the hemispherical combustion chamber? Would be insane in a hot rod. I saw Chevy is thinking about a stand alone electric motor for hot rods. They have something at SEMA, a hot rod Camaro made from it- they call it the eCOPO.
I'll wake up after one more cup of coffee lol. Yes hemi and all generation III are semi hemis. Not the true hemispherical combustion chambers. Price tag will probably be cost prohibitive for most but what a blast that would be. The electric would never do it for me. Wrong sound. :laugh:

With the moving on of tech The V6 motor will probably have the grunt etc of the older V8 lump in from factory spec I hope Alfa have solved their Body corrosion/leccy wiring problems from the older models as these problems left a lot to be desired

With the moving on of tech The V6 motor will probably have the grunt etc of the older V8 lump in from factory spec I hope Alfa have solved their Body corrosion/leccy wiring problems from the older models as these problems left a lot to be desired
My son test drove a new challenger with v6 in it. It's would run away from most anything with a 318 from years ago. I read an article several days ago about a guy who installed a cheap turbo on his v6 challenger and was making about 450 hp. and a daily driver. Not really my cup of tea but pretty cool.

Thirty years ago (1988 for the math challenged) the 5.0 Mustang had 225 HP. Twenty years ago the Mustang Cobra 5.0 had 300 HP. Now the Turbo Four has 310 HP in the Mustang and 350 in the Focus RS. The base Mustang GT now has 480 HP, the GT350 has 526, and the rumor for the new GT500 is 700+. We're living in the Golden Age of motoring.

Thirty years ago (1988 for the math challenged) the 5.0 Mustang had 225 HP. Twenty years ago the Mustang Cobra 5.0 had 300 HP. Now the Turbo Four has 310 HP in the Mustang and 350 in the Focus RS. The base Mustang GT now has 480 HP, the GT350 has 526, and the rumor for the new GT500 is 700+. We're living in the Golden Age of motoring.
I've always been a mopar guy but have always liked mustangs. I still fight the urge to buy one but remind myself of my nephew constantly breaking something on his..... tranny, rear ends and such. He just sold his, couldn't afford the insurance or to keep it on the road. It was scary fast. A little gray Roush.

Bummer. I had a 95 GT and two 2012 Boss 302's before I got my Shelby. It's scary fast. 624 HP with 345's in the back!
My son would love that. It worries me if he gets something like it he won't take the time to learn that even in straight line acceleration things can happen fast. Hopefully I can get my engine together for my Cuda and teach him some ins and outs about that much hp.

Back