The Lewis Brander Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Lewis Brander entertained us at Jokers GTG with his antique saw collection. Maybe Lewis can give us some details as I post more of his pictures.
John

I know that I had misgivings about how antique saws were going to fit into the scheme of things at the GTG but when I saw the quality of restoration that Lewis does, I was extremely impressed and very happy that he brought them. The fact that these are running saws and he actually made cuts at the GTG boosted his coolness factor right up there with Sedanman`s belly bar and double barrel muffler.

Russ

I would like to see a close up of that muffler I was thinking of doing it to my saw

I was very pleased to finally meet Lewis at the GTG. His restorations are second to none! He and I had a few discussions about various saw companies and history, the man is a walking encyclopedia of information!

Was really nice to see the work he did. All his saws were in A-1 shape and he does great work. Way to go Lewis.
Hunter

The picture of the Disston on Lewis' tailgate doesn't do justice to how large the saw is. The chain is 9/16ths pitch. It's huge!

Also, when he was revving the Disston I briefly lost sight of Joker's house due to the generous 16:1 mixture. I also couldn't figure out why the chain wasn't spinning when the throttle was pegged.

Later, after lunch, Lewis brought the Disston over to the stand for a some cutting. Once he fired it up and warmed up the engine, he lifted the saw to get ready to cut. Then, he pushed some lever with his right thumb and clicked the sucker into gear and then the chain started spinning! I thought that was really cool.

Like Sedanman said at the GTG, the Disston with the 9/16ths chain and the other saw (5-20?) with the 1/2 pitch didn't pull chips out of the wood, they pulled shavings, like a good sharp hand chisel would produce.

Old Saw Collection.

Well, don't know what to say. Glad everyone got a kick out of the old saws. The PM Rocket is the saw that pulled out the old chips with the new 1/2" semi skip chain I got from Chopwood. The old Disston had 9/16" full house chain, but I haven't done too much to it except repair some cracked and worn tie straps. I touched up the old chain a bit, but didn't have the correct file, so didn't get carried away with it. The old Disston didn't do to bad. Was the first time I ever did a cut with the old saw. When she got to pulling wood the old slip clutch on the sprocket would slip and I'd have to pick up on the saw. Will have to play with the slip clutch adjustment a bit. Don't want to get it too tight for obvious reasons, but should be taken up a bit, especially if you got into a 20"+ log with the 31" bar on her.

I'd like to thank John for the parts he brought for the PM Rocket. I have them stored away for future use. Paul also donated 3 saws to the collecting cause, a MONO, model 85 that I have now running, a David Bradley, 917.6003, she was stuck but is now freed up. She now has spark and will need a carb kit, then she'll be ready to fire up. And last a 250 McCulloch, which is a runnier, had her fired up today. Paul also wanted 2 other saws repaired, A Wright Reciprocating Blade Saw. I cleaned her up, repaired the magneto and disassembled the old Carter NRD carb and cleaned it. She now is runnig fine. Also a 1-42 McCulloch, but haven't started it as yet. I also got a Montgomery Ward saw that was running at the GTG from EHP. Haven't done anything to it as yet. Got a O8S Stihl from Chopwood that will most likely be a parts saw.

Just want to say that I had fun and enjoyed myself talking to you guys, watching and learning a few things. Ha, Paul wanted me to try his Dolmar with the Belly bar and to get in there and try some others. All I can say is that the only saws I've ever ran were older saws and didn't know if I could handle any of the woods or modded saws. Thought they might get away from me. Maybe next time I'll give one a try. The newest saw I've ever ran is my Poulan 3400 AV with my own muffler mod and that surprised me on how much she picked up in speed and torque, so can you see me running a modded saw. Ha. Went to my first Woodsmandays in Booneville last year and hope to return this year, time permitting. Also was talking with my brother last night and he knows of a fellow who has a garage full of old saws he wants to get rid of. Will have to see what he's got. One saw I know is an old 2 man Disston. Can only hope to be so lucky as to get that one. Might see what he has this coming Sunday. OK for now everyone take care. Thanks John for posting some picks. Lewis Brander.

Last edited:
Hi Lewis, it was great to see the old saws. We should have a race at the next GTG with antique saws. I have an old Eaton I could bring.
John
LB.jpg

Old Saw Race.

Hello to all. I don't really have the racing bug, but would be more than willing to demonstrate the saw as for what they were used for in their day. Wouldn't be much of a race, the saws are old, heavy and slow, but they sufficed for what they were intended for. Ha, a bit faster and easier to use that a crosscut if you could keep them running. Ask Art Martin. I have the MONO saw now running. What a beast. Tecumseh Power Prodicts engine, model AH-81, 7.98 cu in (131 cc). Will be interesting to see what that 8 HP @ 4500 rpm will do. Gosh, maybe I could challange the famous 999. Ha, take care. Lewis.

OSA, The old saws 'win' by merely showing up and running. My Wright reciprocating saw will be put to the wood at the next get together and I will spend a little time tuning my old XL-12 so it makes a better showing than it did last time.

Latest posts

Back