The Longest Mile - the Steps Between the Woodshed and the Woodbox

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used one of these for about 3 years, works good.View attachment 767379

Man I sure appreciate that photo - have never seen one!

I also liked the rolling garbage can idea but I would need these softer wheels to work it up the steps and into the house. Maybe I can get the rolling trash can and add the big soft wheels. That way I wouldn't loose bark and moss every step either.

Man I sure appreciate that photo - have never seen one!

I also liked the rolling garbage can idea but I would need these softer wheels to work it up the steps and into the house. Maybe I can get the rolling trash can and add the big soft wheels. That way I wouldn't loose bark and moss every step either.

Garbage can tends to be pretty deep. Also would get heavy real fast. Just a couple thoughts, never tried it.

I use a wheelbarrow to get the wood from the pile to the wood box door outside of my furnace room. I can reach directly out the door and grab pieces from the wheelbarrow and feed the stove.

For my fireplace I use a wood sling to get from the wheelbarrow in through the living room.

Garbage can tends to be pretty deep. Also would get heavy real fast. Just a couple thoughts, never tried it.
Its not to bad for weight, I only have one 4 inch step to get over, once wood level gets low in the can ya just tilt the can a bit and grab yer wood, been using it for 4 years.
Nice part is very little mess inside.

My wood pile is 40yds from the deck where i have a rack that holds 1/3 of a cord. I never really measured how many wheelbarrow loads it takes to fill the rack, guessing 10. Worst part is getting the wood from the wheelbarrow up the stairs, just no good way to do it yet, so usually just try to do 1-2 wheelbarrows a day and keep the rack stocked, carry armloads up the stairs. I have a small metal stand with a canvas insert that doubles as a wood carrier that I use to bring wood from the rack to the wood stove, one load to burn through the evening, one to burn overnight. It's a constant process, not too bad if the weather is clear but can be a bit of a pain when it snows.

Its not to bad for weight, I only have one 4 inch step to get over, once wood level gets low in the can ya just tilt the can a bit and grab yer wood, been using it for 4 years.
Nice part is very little mess inside.

The tub handles my mess as well but if the can works for you even better.

The tub handles my mess as well but if the can works for you even better.

I wonder if this job box would work? Anybody use one? I think it would need the bigger softer wheelbarrow style tires to get up my stairs.
job-box.jpg

For the occasional fireplace fire I fill a rack in the house with two canvas bags similar to this:
20191021_184645.png
They are cheap and not worth mentioning except for the fact that I use two of them. I find it much easier to carry the same amount of wood the 100 feet to the house when the load is equally distributed. For daily use I would probably find another method that included wheels, cables, or air lifting.

For my OWB I typically carry it by the armload from the stacks a few feet away.

Bfrazier,

Taller wheels should be better. I think hard wheels are better than soft wheels for climbing stairs - the reverse for negotiating mud and snow.

A rolling trash can can get heavy. I use a medium size one. I don’t think I could pull a loaded large one up my hill much less up some stairs. As far as a trash can being too deep, you can fill the bottom with sticks standing on their ends.

I also use a plastic yard cart with a handle behind my lawn mower. Handles the yard well except in the snow. Keeps the wood mess contained but the soft tires track in a lot of mud and grass.

The two wheel hand carts are nice but most won’t haul as much as a wheeled trash can or a pull behind yard cart.

Ron

Bfrazier,

Taller wheels should be better. I think hard wheels are better than soft wheels for climbing stairs - the reverse for negotiating mud and snow.

A rolling trash can can get heavy. I use a medium size one. I don’t think I could pull a loaded large one up my hill much less up some stairs. As far as a trash can being too deep, you can fill the bottom with sticks standing on their ends.

I also use a plastic yard cart with a handle behind my lawn mower. Handles the yard well except in the snow. Keeps the wood mess contained but the soft tires track in a lot of mud and grass.

The two wheel hand carts are nice but most won’t haul as much as a wheeled trash can or a pull behind yard cart.

Ron
Thanks Ron!

Take a look at this thing - called a "Trolly Dolly" it has three wheels on each side, supposedly, to get up steps easier. It looks a little too light weight, supposed to carry 100 pounds, but I like the concept.
trolley-dolly.jpg

Amazon has lots of the canvas bags like hranch uses. Or do you have IKEA stores? I use doubled up blue bags from them. This is to carry the wood to the stove side rack from the back door steps. I use an old pram to carry the wood from the pile to the back door of the house but fill the IKEA bags at the wood pile, get 3 full bags in or on the pram. That way it's wheeled transport as far as possible but minimum handling (into bag at pile, out of bag at stove)

Amazon has lots of the canvas bags like hranch uses. Or do you have IKEA stores? I use doubled up blue bags from them. This is to carry the wood to the stove side rack from the back door steps. I use an old pram to carry the wood from the pile to the back door of the house but fill the IKEA bags at the wood pile, get 3 full bags in or on the pram. That way it's wheeled transport as far as possible but minimum handling (into bag at pile, out of bag at stove)

I do the same thing as you from the door to the stove, but I use Costco bags. A bit smaller than IKEA but quite tough.

I built a wood rack just from ash I milled for inside. TF joinery. It holds ~1/4-1/3 cord (22-24" lengths). Full that lasts 1-2 weeks depending on cold.

wood rack.jpg

My outside stacks are double wide on pallets, stacked 5-6' high, double covered on top with free lumber covers. These are just a bit away from the deck and door to the inside rack. I made a ramp, to wheelbarrow loads onto the deck, then it's just load the rack inside. About a 40' trip from outside to doorway on the wheel barrow. The wheelbarrow gets just to outside door, next to wood rack. A full rack lasts me 1-2 weeks. I can put a lot on a construction wheel barrow.

My Parents place had an old coal bin in cellar. We put in a wood stove down there and just dump a load next to the cellar widow and fill up the bin. Stove is nearby and heats the whole house via floor vents from the old coal heating system.

Attachments

• scb Sh M+T copy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
I try to do an armload everyday when I get home, on my way in.
When I burn more than that can keep up with, I will refill the rack in the basement using a simple 2 wheeled dolly. I load it up at the shed/stack, wheel it right in the back door, down some 2x10 ramps I lay on the basement stairs, and over to the rack.

I use something like this, the pic is a reference only. Has tires like a bicycle but smaller than standard bicycle tires. It fits through doors, I generally park it outside next to the main door.

ALONGSHOT - I'd probably not be the only one who would like to see your actual carrier. After two days of looking I think this would work best for me, but it would need to have a simple nylon fabric attached to it to catch all the bark and moss. Anybody know what this actually was made to do, what it was called, etc? I can picture handling a few days worth of wood in one shot. Thanks for showing this concept.

Capture99.jpg

Back