The Longest Mile - the Steps Between the Woodshed and the Woodbox

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No photos, but I built my racks about 25' from the east side of the house. I use one of the canvas bags and bring in one load every morning when i wake up depending upon which of the racks I am pulling form it could be 25' or 60'. If I had a basement like some of the folks in the states, I would definitely put a large woodburner in the basement and load it through a coal shoot, thats how it was down in all the houses where I came from (Indiana) most of them were originally coal chutes for coal burners but got converted during the early 70's as coal was dirty and fuel oil had gotten expensive.

I dump my loads just out side the walk out door.
enhance

Split most times as needed and when froze. then carry in a firewood carry bag. I have a plain old canvas one works great and a fance leather one a look nice piece of crap.

64750_alt_01.jpg

One fellow I know picked up a simular power wheel barrow at a auction sale. Works great for getting fire wood up 3 steps to a deck.

yardmax-wheelbarrows-yd8105-64_1000.jpg

:D Al

ALONGSHOT - I'd probably not be the only one who would like to see your actual carrier. After two days of looking I think this would work best for me, but it would need to have a simple nylon fabric attached to it to catch all the bark and moss. Anybody know what this actually was made to do, what it was called, etc? I can picture handling a few days worth of wood in one shot. Thanks for showing this concept.

Capture99.jpg
Here's a few pics, I thought these were more common, but looking around online they dont seem to be. This one came from Harbor Freight. Don't see them on there website currently. It's 12" to the outside of the rails where the wood sits. About 20" clearance between the tires near the axle. Around 22" clearance farther away from the axle. If I needed to replace it, I would probably look for the same thing. It works for me and beats carrying a bag or whatnot.
20191023_071457.jpg 20191023_071508.jpg

In the past I have loaded my back porch with wood every fall, witch is about 5 steps away from the heater. This year my back porch is full of crap so I'll be toting it in one arm load at a time from my shop witch is about 100 feet away.

I like the looks of the Harbor Freight carrier I will have to be on the lookout for them. Sometimes my wood 16" would fall out between the tubing rails on the one I have. So I attached hardware cloth ( steel screening with 1/2 square holes in it ) that keeps any stray split from wiggling out of the thing. I used zip ties to attach the cloth. Then I covered the tubing with pipe insulation because the wire edges were sometimes scratching my hands and arms when loading it. My wood shed is attached to the house via a summer kitchen so I roll the carrier out to the shed load and roll back in to the kitchen 3 loads go me all week so Sunday to Sunday lets say.

And then from the deck is it to a wood box or straight into the fire - what do you do to get it there your Eminency, carry it by the armload?

front end loader full of wood through the french doors dumped directly into the wood stove

giphy.gif

As a kid we had the ideal wood storage soulation. But back in those days (pre1950) homes we built far different than modern (post1960). pre 1950 the builder knew the heat for a home was coming from wood (rual) and coal (urban)
there was a place built onto the farm house called a wood shed fully inclosed but with a wall seprateing it from the house. or it was a room big enough in the basement for a year of wood burning storage. that is usualy where coal was stored in the basement in a special room near the coal burner.

Our wood shed when I was a kid was about 20 feet long and 15 feet wide with a dirt floor a normal door out to a cement walk to the main part of the house about 8 feet long. It had two openings on the our side along the wall about 4'x4' where wood could be pitched in from the wagon or truck and our case both. used one window till you could not stuff another stick in it then shut that door and moved to the next to do the same.

It was about 8 feet from the wood shed door into the house Kitchen first where the wood fueled range was ( try to get a woman today to use oneLOL.) then into the dining room where pot belly stove was and a wood box for a nights worth of wood ws kept. there was also a room off the kitchen where a cast iron laundary stove was kept or that is what we called that stove as mom had her washer and LOL dryer for winter time. OH the dryer was lines streached across the room near the ceiling to hang to dry in the winter so they didn't just freeze.

when we moved in our presant house I asked the wife where I should set up the clohes line post. Can't say what she told me other than she would give me 10 days to install a dish washer.
That rarely got used as I used to ***** at her for wasteing water. Why you wash the dishes in the sink then put them in a dish washer.

:D Al

Use a cart from stacks to door.

Have a wood rack next to indoor stove.

Hand carry until full. Lasts a week give or take depending on the weather.

I don't wanna bring in wood everyday and I've never seen a hand carrier that saved any work.

Setting up a ramp and going from stack to inside with the same cart would be slick.

Use a cart from stacks to door.
Have a wood rack next to indoor stove.
Hand carry until full. Lasts a week give or take depending on the weather.
I don't wanna bring in wood everyday and I've never seen a hand carrier that saved any work.
Setting up a ramp and going from stack to inside with the same cart would be slick.

For those of us that hand carry - a bag or firewood carrying sling really is a vast improvement on just grabbing it by the arm load, mostly because it doesn't shed bark and moss every step of the way. I think you'd like it. Same thing for a woodbox as opposed to a wood rack - keeps the dirt contained, but hey, just my opinion.

I have porch steps, so I'm still aiming for the cart with big rubber tires like Alongshot has (see his photos above) A ramp probably isn't in my future.

This sure has been a good thread - I've learned a lot - thanks everybody!

I have a raised ranch. Its raised so much that the garage is half my basement. I use the wheel barrow every other sunday to bring in wood that is stacked in a rack in my garage. It's a half a face cord. I bring in a few pallets too. Then I take what I need and walk 25 feet to the furnace. I dont think I could ever go back to a regular basement...

I used one of these to move my wood across my basement to the stove.
th
It was a surplus from a dollar general store. I would load my gator up at the shed and drive right up to the basement door, load the cart and just roll it up close to the stove. With the 6ft double door, I sometimes would just load the gator and drive it right into the basement. Problem with that approach was the mud the gator tracked into the basement. I built a second cart using 2x4's and shopping cart wheels. Load both carts at the door and just roll to the stove. If the weather man called for a lot of wet cold weather, I sometimes loaded both carts and the gator. I could get 2 or three weeks burning times without having to carry the wood more than a few ft. to the stove.

For moving wood around the property I use a 70 / 8 hp cub cadet with a trailer with side racks she holds over a 1/4 cord. The 8 hp has plenty of pulling power.

There's no doubt in my mind, moving wood about is the biggest pita of wood heating. A bag or sling and a cart are things they save a little bit of effort each time, a big saving when summed over the winter and 2-3 cord of trips to the pile!

There's no doubt in my mind, moving wood about is the biggest pita of wood heating. A bag or sling and a cart are things they save a little bit of effort each time, a big saving when summed over the winter and 2-3 cord of trips to the pile!

I disagree. Limbing and cleaning up after you fell a tree and cut it up is the worst. I've dropped 5 big ash trees in the last month and the sticks and branches are everywhere. I'm running out of places to put them. I need a chipper. I'll move wood all day over cleaning up.

Back