The Longest Mile - the Steps Between the Woodshed and the Woodbox

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good ideas here. I keep my wood stacked near the house. Right now the woodstove is backup till it gets really cold.

Iv been pretty lazy this year. I put a big row on front deck and a row about 22 feet long 4 feet high along side the house on lane way. Havnt touched the wood back behind my shed yet. But this is working good as its a real muddy winter and the clay wont take any more water. Just wish it would freeze.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Very very wet autumn and winter here too so my London clay soil is waterlogged. I have little choice but to cross the lawn regularly to fetch wood but it's doing damage. I'm using an old pram to bring 3-4 days worth from the stack exchange time but the wheels are leaving ruts. Perhaps I should go more often for less wood, dunno.

I recently purchased a canvas tote to try. It is much easier than the daily armload method I was using. I don't split as small as in the picture, but it will still carry ~10 of my splits at a time.
Now, I just have to change my routine when I get home, to include going in to get the tote before carrying in wood.
81qEBRpdoWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I recently purchased a canvas tote to try. It is much easier than the daily armload method I was using. I don't split as small as in the picture, but it will still carry ~10 of my splits at a time.
Now, I just have to change my routine when I get home, to include going in to get the tote before carrying in wood.
81qEBRpdoWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for posting this - and glad you like it. This is close to what I (the O/P) currently am using, but I think they should make this with a nice padded over the shoulder length pair of handles. I like ones with more of a bag shape because it keeps the dirt in, but this one will be quicker to load.

Members have posted lots and lots of great ideas here.

Bob

Thanks for posting this - and glad you like it. This is close to what I (the O/P) currently am using, but I think they should make this with a nice padded over the shoulder length pair of handles. I like ones with more of a bag shape because it keeps the dirt in, but this one will be quicker to load.

Members have posted lots and lots of great ideas here.

Bob
That's what I was thinking myself.
Then reading your post I thought, man that would be a giant man bag :laugh:.

I’m still kicking myself for ditching the old basement window when I rebuilt my cracking basement walls with new block. A year later I started heating my house with a wood furnace and that opening would’ve been right next to my wood furnace! Luckily I have a Bilco door with removable steps 20 feet away to dump gator loads into. Makes the “last mile” problem feasible in late night undies reloads. My wife is still not impressed.

Latest posts

Back