The Low Climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Ellison

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I climbed thirty years ago on spurs to rig/derig tail trees. Probably only about 25 or 30 times and I never improved a bit the whole time. Scared blankless. Maybe from seeing a friend fall 90 ft. and maybe from the funky climbing gear. Haha, maybe just plain scared.

Anyway, about five or six weeks ago, in between tornadoes and floods I made my way over to Pinnacle Petes place. He spent a lot of time answering my questions and pointing me in the right direction. It was sure nice to be able to try on different saddles instead of just looking at the pictures.

Here is a picture of my gear. A Weaver floating Dee Wide Back and Sampson Arbormaster Blue Streak. I'm using a traditional system with a Blakes hitch and a micro pulley slack tender. At first (dozen climbs) I had to use five wraps in the hitch, then it really started to grab and four does fine now.

I feel a lot more comfortable on rope than I do on spurs. But, I still have to climb some trees in stages. Go until I feel uneasy and then sit awhile and come down, then try to go a little further the next time. Its a lot of fun, I remember when I was little and climbing a tree being scared and thrilled at the same time.
Here is a question. In the Tree Climbers Companion, the adjustable false crotch is just discussed as being installed in a neighboring tree and used as an escape when climbing a questionable tree. Is there any reason not to use that method if you want to climb a tree where it is a pain to isolate a limb? I am just talking about climbing and not working. I realize that the crotch would have double the strain and that you would need an adequate pulley and anchor rope.

You still have to climb up to install the false crotch in the first place, and to remove it. You could maybe use a cambium saver if you got it in the right spot and went around the trunk with it. would still need something to keep it from slipping off. a stump or small branch. Probably be a pain though, but at lest you could remove it from the ground.

Thanks for the comeback Beastmaster. Thats not quite what I was trying to describe, but I'm using a lot of new terms that are unfamiliar to me so my words were a little off.

After reading about the adjustable false crotch again in the TCC I realized that the last sentence answered my question. Then I had to go out and rig it up in a short pine that is a real grouse ladder (limby). It would have taken me a month to isolate a limb. I hauled the bight of my climbing line up in a three inch pulley with a rope snap, and it worked great.

If my TIP is not close to the stem I feel like I am spinning my wheels. I can do a clumsy footlock but still get nowhere fast. I hate to get too gadjety but a Pantin looks like it might work good, or the prussic foot loop, or what do you use (DRT) that gets you up there?

If my TIP is not close to the stem I feel like I am spinning my wheels. I can do a clumsy footlock but still get nowhere fast. I hate to get too gadjety but a Pantin looks like it might work good, or the prussic foot loop, or what do you use (DRT) that gets you up there?

Pantin does the trick. You can also put your other foot on your Pantin foot to get both legs involved pushing.

For a footloop I like a handled ascender with a double footloop made from 8mm cord hanging off it.
-AJ

Back