The mighty ash lives!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy howdy. Long time since I've been on here. We just moved to New Hampshire, and our old farmstead has a pair of ash trees older than I by a long stretch. They are still alive, and the larger one is almost OK! 4.5 feet dbh. I'm too busy to post pics from my phone, but I'll get them up soon. The previous owner says he never treated them, and that gives me cause to believe they might be resistant to the ash borer, as I'd thought this species to be functionally extinct in these parts. I understand the state might partner with me in preserving this titan, which sits not thirty feet from our house. I am also posting this in the chainsaw forum, but as I did have a tree business for a couple of years, I suppose I can post here as well. Looking forward to climbing this one; it's a mighty one.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Do either of them have one or two limbs that are clearly dead? That’s usually a sign that they’re infested and pretty much as good as gone. Sadly, some of the larger, more vigorous Ash take longer to succumb. At least that’s the way I’m seeing it. I could be wrong though. A bug and pest nerd might tell you different though.

Do either of them have one or two limbs that are clearly dead? That’s usually a sign that they’re infested and pretty much as good as gone. Sadly, some of the larger, more vigorous Ash take longer to succumb. At least that’s the way I’m seeing it. I could be wrong though. A bug and pest nerd might tell you different though.
Yeah, there is some dead on both of them, but the larger one has less of it. I have not seen a single D-shaped hole like what they told us to look for in tree school.

Yeah, there is some dead on both of them, but the larger one has less of it. I have not seen a single D-shaped hole like what they told us to look for in tree school.

That's cool that they still seem to be doing moderately well.

You'll want to protect them. You could either be a do it yourselfer and use some mauget imicide capsules every year or hire out someone to inject with emamectin. Arborjet headquarters isn't too far from you. Triage protects for 2-3 years.

Thank you for the encouragement. I emailed the county forester a week ago, but haven't heard back. I'll try to call them this week. I suspect I'd have them treated, at least the first time. If both are less than a thousand to do, it's worth it to me. Can't replace a 200 year old tree, even one nearing the end of its time. There is some decay and conk activity, but the bigger one especially seems pretty vigorous yet. I'll keep you guys posted.

I hope they live! I'm taking down 80 ash from my property. Damn Ash borers. The grubs look nasty too when they come out after cutting or splitting the wood.
I'm sorry you have to do that. But they break down quickly. Not good wood for a timber barn, because it's not rot resistant enough. Too bad, My barn needs all new sills and floor joists. That is going to be a chore and a half

If they are still in reasonably good condition and you would like to retain them treat them as soon as they leaf out next year with one of the Em Ben products.
There are none that are resistant. Some are growing in better conditions and therefore show signs of infestation later than others.

Howdy howdy. Long time since I've been on here. We just moved to New Hampshire, and our old farmstead has a pair of ash trees older than I by a long stretch. They are still alive, and the larger one is almost OK! 4.5 feet dbh. I'm too busy to post pics from my phone, but I'll get them up soon. The previous owner says he never treated them, and that gives me cause to believe they might be resistant to the ash borer, as I'd thought this species to be functionally extinct in these parts. I understand the state might partner with me in preserving this titan, which sits not thirty feet from our house. I am also posting this in the chainsaw forum, but as I did have a tree business for a couple of years, I suppose I can post here as well. Looking forward to climbing this one; it's a mighty one.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
Any update on how the tree is doing and if the last owner's treatment worked? Since 2002 this EAB seems to move through Ash with some success. It now sweeps across more than several states per the Gov Invasive species website. After reading their studies did not see much hope in their reports they seem to be mostly researching it, issuing quarantines but after 10 years abandon that as unworkable. The Beatle came to my attention from your post and just circling back to see how the treatment went.

Update would be great as I have lost or in the process of losing what's left of my Ash trees.
Tried treating one of the big ones, but it was too far gone, even though the damage was not visible except some leafless branches at the top.

Back