The MODDED 090 Thread - Anyone made any mods to one ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenaisSAWnceMan

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Made some mods to an 090/AV ?? Whaddidya do, how did it work, photos and vid, if available, etc....:chainsaw:

Saw this one on Madsen's site [ Here: Race Saw Preparation - Along with an 088 on-the-bottle :) ]

This is the caption for the photo:

"This rare Stihl 090 has a ten cubic inch top end. Stihl made only a handful of these. This one is also fitted it with a snowmobile carburetor and a tuned pipe. The saw belongs to Madsen's. Back in its day, it was a contender."

090jot.jpg

Last edited:
Made some mods to an 090/AV ?? Whaddidya do, how did it work, photos and vid, if available, etc....:chainsaw:

Saw this one on Madsen's site [ Here: Race Saw Preparation - Along with an 088 on-the-bottle :) ]

This is the caption for the photo:

"This rare Stihl 090 has a ten cubic inch top end. Stihl made only a handful of these. This one is also fitted it with a snowmobile carburetor and a tuned pipe. The saw belongs to Madsen's. Back in its day, it was a contender."

090jot.jpg

sweet,,,, make a good limbing saw:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

A few months ago there was a guy who lucked up on a old school race prepped 090 that he bought off of an older fellow if i remember correctly. He was supposed to check into what mods had been done to the saw and report back but i dont recall him ever posting it up. It was a very cool looking 090. I seriously doubt that a search would turn up the thread.

this link will take you to some more pics from Madsens. They have a 084 with nos.
see both pages of pics.
madnw pictures by mrbigsaw - Photobucket

also a bunch of pics from Stihl NW and the never fired Stihls on loan from the factory in Germany.

The 10 cube was sitting 15 foot high strapped to a pallet when I talked them into hoisting it down for snapshots.
Wish I would have wiped the dust off first.:msp_rolleyes:

CIMG0423.jpg

here's another extreme racer from the past.

971106.jpg

97racer.jpg

Local shop did one, ported/piped/NOSed. Runs nice, but at the time they were competing with it, they were still getting smoked by alky 125's out of Canada.

I have one that I sent to a Ex-builder who did some of (what I could find) the most extensive work on these old birds!
It is a good month out but from what I have seen, she looks sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It does not have a pipe, and is pretty much stock appearing. (minus carb and alteration to cylinder and muffler were inevitable!)
Just wanted a FULLY ported semi-wood saw from some one who has experience.
I located the builder in Canada.

She will be a GTG and wall hanger.

My 090 is a work saw tha doesn't see a whole lot of work. I have a couple of big stumps to flatten out with it next month but that means I have to start the cut with a smaller saw or the chain will fall off. I have lots of respect for anyone who could run one of these shaking monsters for hours on end.

this link will take you to some more pics from Madsens. They have a 084 with nos.
see both pages of pics.
madnw pictures by mrbigsaw - Photobucket

also a bunch of pics from Stihl NW and the never fired Stihls on loan from the factory in Germany.

The 10 cube was sitting 15 foot high strapped to a pallet when I talked them into hoisting it down for snapshots.
Wish I would have wiped the dust off first.:msp_rolleyes:

CIMG0423.jpg

here's another extreme racer from the past.

971106.jpg

97racer.jpg

Wow! Thanks for all the pics. I would love to get my hands on that 084 with the NOS!

Back