The most underrated firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red and White Oak, around here. Dislike smell of green red oak. Splits easy, burns well and it's free!
How is Red and White oak underrated?
It's one of the most prized of firewoods in North America and probably around the world.
Some don't care for the long seasoning times is all.

I'd have to say that one of the forgotten great firewoods around here and as you go farther North is Beech.
High BTUs and pretty clean bark too.
It has long seasoning times but is worth the wait and not at all common in the firewood sales lineup.
The other one right around me that is very plentiful, mostly free but not long burning would be Boxelder Maple.

Willow is a trash tree around here. It is sort of like taking a whiz in your fire. Native Americans used the bark as medicine as it contains an aspirin like substance. Willow charcoal was reported to make the best black powder. Underrated firewood tree here is locus. It grows like a bad weed, stinks like trash when you cut it but it burns hotter than the hinges of hell. Good stuff.

How is Red and White oak underrated?
It's one of the most prized of firewoods in North America and probably around the world.
Some don't care for the long seasoning times is all.
Red and White oak is the most overrated firewood. There are a lot of woods that dry faster and have just as good BTU's

Underrated firewood tree here is locus. It grows like a bad weed, stinks like trash when you cut it but it burns hotter than the hinges of hell. Good stuff.

Beat me to it. I've got it all over my property and I'm trying to cut them all down for firewood before they fall down on something. Grows like a bad weed is right-their root structure sucks. This big SOB just toppled over one day-no wind at all, just from the ground being saturated. Nearly took out my barn and my saw shop:

Ou49WCel.jpg

Beat me to it. I've got it all over my property and I'm trying to cut them all down for firewood before they fall down on something. Grows like a bad weed is right-their root structure sucks. This big SOB just toppled over one day-no wind at all, just from the ground being saturated. Nearly took out my barn and my saw shop:

Ou49WCel.jpg
"God is great...beer is good...and you're dang lucky ,,,,, could have been much worse

I was going to suggest apple as an under rated firewood and that is another chart that seems to show it. It's higher than oak anyway. We typically think of apple for smoking and it usually doesn't come in large quantities, but seems it should be pretty good. Can tell when you pick up a chunk that it is a pretty dense wood.

I was going to suggest apple as an under rated firewood and that is another chart that seems to show it. It's higher than oak anyway. We typically think of apple for smoking and it usually doesn't come in large quantities, but seems it should be pretty good. Can tell when you pick up a chunk that it is a pretty dense wood.

Burning apple for any purpose other than smoking good meat should be a felony! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back