The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yup, I went and did it. I had my dealer check with the distributor early this week with no luck. Then Andre and Nik checked with their dealer and got a different story. A couple days later, and good persistence by their dealer pressing the distrubtor, I've finally got a MS261. Just yesterday they still didn't even have a price in the system. These babies are hot off the rack.

Why am I so excited about this model? Despite catching plenty of flack for calling Stihl out where I feel they fall short, I'm still a pretty hard core Stihlhead. Yes, I wear orange goggles, but I don't wear blinders. For the last couple of years, I've probably worn you guys out going on and on about the 346XP. It is my favorite saw, the most impressive saw on the market, once modded. IMHO, a fellow only really needs two saws, 50cc and 70-80cc. So this class of saw is very important to me. I'd love to see Stihl take back the crown of the 50cc class. The MS260 just doesn't have what it takes to keep up with the 346, or even the 5100. I'd love to see this 261 surpass the 346, only because I love Stihls. They're all great saws, but this is fun seeing a new kid on the block with potential.

So, straight from the dealer to the wood lot, we had to test it out. We were all impressed, to say the least. It's super strong in the cut. Very impressive. It's smooth as silk as well. The filter is the best I have ever seen on a saw. It twist locks on and seals with a rubber lip. NO dust should get past this filter. Andre has the video of it's first cuts and should be posting them tomorrow. I'll be putting several tanks of fuel through it tomorrow and should have more pics and vids.

It's nice to have friends to share with. Both Andre and Nik met me at the dealer. I think they enjoyed it as much as I did. We were all three like kids in a candy store. Thanks guys!

For now, here are the obligatory partial disassembly/inspection shots.

1079380438_yjCMQ-M.jpg

1079380522_BeFzn-M.jpg

1079380598_nbrFD-M.jpg

1079355482_8ujgq-M.jpg

1079355482_8ujgq-M.jpg

Yes, that's the limiter cap on the H needle. There's a better picture of it farther down. It pulled out easily with a long drywall screw. It's indexed on the needle. The OD of the cap has a vertical ridge. The ID of the hold in the carb body also has a vertical ridge. When the two hit, that's it, so a little less than 1 full turn of adjustment. Interestingly enough, the way the cap is indexed on the needle, you can't remove it move the needle richer, and then reinstall the cap to give richer adjustment. The vertical ridge on the OD of the cap has to be ground off to give clearance inside the hold in the carb, such that it won't hit the ridge in the carb body. Yes, I've already made the mod. The saw was a little bit leaner than I wanted for break in, although well within spec.

Im also curious if its rev-limited....??

I don't think so, but I haven't had it past 14,000. I've got it tuned to 13,500 for the first tank of two. It's nearly all 4 stroke at that RPM. The 4-stroke is very difficult to hear. I think it's a combination of a stock muffler as well as being a strato engine. I also noticed that the L needles to be just off peak RPMs for the best throttle response, leaner than I would normally be. 1/4 turn back from peak RPMs would be too rich and give poor throttle response.

The captured bar nuts are slick. No more loosing them in the snow or grass. No fumbling around getting them started. I've got a vid uploading showing how easy they are to work.

The air filter looks to be primo. Time sill tell how well it filters, but it looks like it will filter finer than most, but has much greater media surface are to provide plenty of flow.

The muffler is completely hollow, except for the internal tube leading to the outlet hole. I'm very anxious to open up the muffler and let it breathe!

I did see some very familiar design characteristics;) Check out the air duct from the flywheel area, the chock/throttle interlock, and the rearward rubber carb mounts.

The master control switch is completely different from the traditional Stihl shaft style. I'm not sure how it compares to the 441 and 362. I haven't seen enough of those to remember.

I love the single barrel carb. Makes it less complicated and more compact than that on the 441 and 362.

The front wall of the carb housing removes with only one screw, giving open access to the intake elbow. No more fishing the boot through the carb housing.

The one thing I was very disappointed to see, is that it does not appear to have a Mahle cylinder. I thought that with it being a new pro model saw, that it would at least start out with a Mahle top end. Evidentally not.

You happen to get a weight on it?

Not yet. I'm out of town for the weekend. I actually delayed out leaving by several hours just so that I could pick up this saw:)

BTW, I will be comparing this saw to a new stock 346XP. At most, they will have muffler mods, and a unlimited coil on the 346. I'll then port both and compare again.

The master control switch is completely different from the traditional Stihl shaft style. I'm not sure how it compares to the 441 and 362. I haven't seen enough of those to remember.

Similar to the MS362 but entirely different to the MS441.

Can you see who made the cylinder if not Mahle?

Regards

Phil

Back