The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
800 for a 260 WOW!

Yup I should be in bed, had a good day, but a long one. Me and Nik took down Moparman aka Mike's Dolmar 9010 that Brad ported, I think he was a happy guy.:cheers:

Cool! I nearly bought a 9010 but was talked out of it by a US Dolmar dealer. How the hell I ended up progressing from a 9010/395XP to a 3120 I'll never know :(
But yeah, I absolutely hate having to oil filters like in the 5100-S, 390XP/XPG, and the 3120. Time consuming cleaning them and messy. Thats why the HD kits on the 7900's make those saws my favourites :)
If the little 261 holds up then more power to Stihl!!! (well at least a little more...)

Cool! I nearly bought a 9010 but was talked out of it by a US Dolmar dealer. How the hell I ended up progressing from a 9010/395XP to a 3120 I'll never know :(
But yeah, I absolutely hate having to oil filters like in the 5100-S, 390XP/XPG, and the 3120. Time consuming cleaning them and messy. Thats why the HD kits on the 7900's make those saws my favourites :)
If the little 261 holds up then more power to Stihl!!! (well at least a little more...)

Now that I think of it the 9010 probably isn't the best choice for you, the filter is definitely old school. I'm sure it's fine for the wood and conditions most of us here in the U.S. have however.

As much as I grew to hate this thread, I still would rather read threads about saws rather than threads that entail all the whining about the awesome new site update.
I guess that says something coming from someone that started one of the whining threads...

Hypocrisy runs rabid everywhere...:rolleyes:

So how's about that 261 eh? Looks like to be a pretty decent saw.....
Weight wise it still looks heavier than the 346xp, by at least .5 lb, and possible 1 lb.

That weight could be critical for some folks. (i.e., me;-)

I guess that says something coming from someone that started one of the whining threads...

Hypocrisy runs rabid everywhere...:rolleyes:

Weight wise it still looks heavier than the 346xp, by at least .5 lb, and possible 1 lb.

That weight could be critical for some folks. (i.e., me;-)

Well I wasn't whining about the site update, I was whining about the whiners! They started it! If you can't beat'em, join'em!! :D :laugh:

And yeah that extra weight on the 261 makes it not as sideways balanced as that 346. :D

Well I wasn't whining about the site update, I was whining about the whiners! They started it! If you can't beat'em, join'em!! :D :laugh:
Just pokin' at 'ya...:poke:

With the new color scheme I'm rather feeling like a gay lumberjack these days! :kilt:

And yeah that extra weight on the 261 makes it not as sideways balanced as that 346. :D
Hey, that's a feature on the 346! :monkey:

Most of the features look like things that should have been fixed on the 260 a number of years ago...but who am I to say...:rolleyes: These newer strato saws from Stihl are kinda like their rice rocket line of saws...:jester:

Just pokin' at 'ya...:poke:

With the new color scheme I'm rather feeling like a gay lumberjack these days! :kilt:

Hey, that's a feature on the 346! :monkey:

Most of the features look like things that should have been fixed on the 260 a number of years ago...but who am I to say...:rolleyes: These newer strato saws from Stihl are kinda like their rice rocket line of saws...:jester:

Lol I'm down with GLJ's.

The sideways balance comment was refering to SawTroll's comment about the 261. I was picking on him a little bit. :) S'all good ST, I love ya buddy. :D

Yeah TT I hear ya there on the delayed update. I haven't run a 261 yet but I'm sure it's badass. I can agree all day though that Stihl just takes too long to update stuff. Once they do though their saws are as good as any other.

I'm sure both saws have a pro and con here and there for most people anyways. S'not much different from the Ford / Chevy battle really. Speaking of which I'm a Ford guy myself, lol.....

Yeah TT I hear ya there on the delayed update. I haven't run a 261 yet but I'm sure it's badass. I can agree all day though that Stihl just takes too long to update stuff. Once they do though their saws are as good as any other.

I'm sure both saws have a pro and con here and there for most people anyways. S'not much different from the Ford / Chevy battle really. Speaking of which I'm a Ford guy myself, lol.....
I agree 'chucker, I'm sure it is a bad arse saw...who knows, maybe I'll get one, or maybe not. I still don't have a 346xp, but use a rebuilt 350 for a bit of work.

It is like Ford/Chevy battles I 'spose. I used to be a Chevy fan when I was younger, but these days I own a Ford.

Bring me your trees, I need WOOD! (8000 lb. payload :hmm3grin2orange: )

attachment.php

The brand new MS260 I received is still sitting on the loungeroom floor awaiting sale and the balance feels really nice. Very tempted to fuel it up and cut something but they are about a $1000 saw out here I think so on eBay she shall go :( Should get about $800+ for it. Last one on there sold for AUD$899.

Matt, the RRP on the 260 here is $1,249.00:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: at least it was when I bought mine. Pretty hard to get Stihl dealers to haggle as well :mad:

Matt, the RRP on the 260 here is $1,249.00:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: at least it was when I bought mine. Pretty hard to get Stihl dealers to haggle as well :mad:

MOTHER OF GOD!!! So it's not just the 200T thats a rip off here then... (well actually I knew that we get ripped anyway, just not that much on the 260!)

WOO HOOO, I've reached the end. I literally just spent all day yesterday (had the day off work) and an hour today reading this whole thread just so I can't be griped at for asking a question that may have been answered in the intertwining's of this thread. If I had to estimate I'd say 85 pages of TOTAL HS and prolly 5 pages of useful information; of which every piece of it was quite useful, and I think I have my answer, but not directly...so here goes chancing opening this can of worms (and thread) again...

I am aiming this at Brad, but all others are welcome as long as it is directly related to my question (i.e. no answers like "just get a husky xxxne, oe, e-tech blah blah blah) Oringinally I was set on an 044 with 046bb top, an 066bb, and prolly 026, and def want the feather MS200R...then I was thinking of a 362 and an 066bb before this thread, now I am thinking I want a 261, 441, and then maybe an 066bb, and I still want the 200R just because. So do you think this would be a decent setup (261, 441, and down the road 066bb)??

HMG, you are really overthinking this. I respect you trying to find a perfect set-up but it is not that crucial. Here are some combos from myself and a couple other residential tree guys. 200t, 026 or 350, 372 or 460BB, 064 or 660BB. Another one would be 200t, 026, MS362, 066. Or this 200t, 372, MS650. Let it be noted that other than those of us that grind stumps, the 85-90+cc saws are not used anywhere near as much as the others. My point is that there are lots of combinations that will work. 50/70/and if needed 90cc saws are good plans. If I were you I would skip the 200t unless you climb, skip the 200R unless you are really wealthy, and settle on a good 50cc like a 346, a 70cc likes a 372/441/460. If you actually NEED a 90cc saw just get whatever feels best to you.

HMG, you are really overthinking this. I respect you trying to find a perfect set-up but it is not that crucial. Here are some combos from myself and a couple other residential tree guys. 200t, 026 or 350, 372 or 460BB, 064 or 660BB. Another one would be 200t, 026, MS362, 066. Or this 200t, 372, MS650. Let it be noted that other than those of us that grind stumps, the 85-90+cc saws are not used anywhere near as much as the others. My point is that there are lots of combinations that will work. 50/70/and if needed 90cc saws are good plans. If I were you I would skip the 200t unless you climb, skip the 200R unless you are really wealthy, and settle on a good 50cc like a 346, a 70cc likes a 372/441/460. If you actually NEED a 90cc saw just get whatever feels best to you.

While I am not wealthy (yet) by any means (otherwise I would have ran out and bought up all these saws by now, instead of pestering you guys about advice to decide on the perfect collection) I do want what I want...basically, I am wanting a very diversified and usable "collection" of saws...which is essentially the only reason for a 200R, but def not a new one, looking for a "stihl" on one, maybe rebuildable. The 200T is the absolute last one on my list, and one just to take shelf space basically as my fat@$$ won't be climbing unless I HAVE to. And as far as the 066bb, that is to have just in case...never know when you might need it. I realize that a 441 will do just about anything the 066 will just not nearly as fast, but again, I want sort of a collection. I had the setup in my wish list picked out for some time now but then go to thinking a 044/046bb topend is only like 15 cc different than an 066bb (if I recall my math correctly, don't quote exact number) so I started thinking the 036-362 line to be a bit further away from the 066bb...then I found this exciting "rope" (too big to be a thread) and Brad's wonderful findings, thoughts, and opinions on this 261 which he claims can become pretty close to a 362 has me thinking about that A LOT now...close power, less weight (I'm not going to get caught up in which comparable competitor saw may weigh less, but I do like having saws with less weight...like being set on the 200R) Then you say if needed, a 90cc saw...does anyone (individual, not company) really NEED one lol?? But again I want sort of a collection. Good advice though, thanks bunches...just thought I'd try to clear some things up as to why I "need" all this stuff

Good combo,and if that's what makes ya happy, that's all that matters.

I think I am getting in touch with my feminine side over saws, as I keep changing my mind back and forth and back and forth

Also, thought of another question...Brad?? Have you used this 261 enough after the porting to gauge if it is still pretty good on fuel (obviously not like original) but compared to other saws of similar power (not cc, but power that you created)?? BTW thank you for the in depth real world review of this saw...I think...it is making me come up with many more questions on my lineup, so I "hate" you for that, but its all good...

Last edited:
15 tanks through my MS261 and it has finally leveled off in power. Just a steady gain. Not one complaint, Added a MS361 Spike kit with chainroller. 12 tanks before I shook out some minor dust from the air filter.

There really isn't much you can't cut with a 50/70 cc saw plan. But it sure is fun collecting saws!

15 tanks through my MS261 and it has finally leveled off in power. Just a steady gain. Not one complaint, Added a MS361 Spike kit with chainroller. 12 tanks before I shook out some minor dust from the air filter.

There really isn't much you can't cut with a 50/70 cc saw plan. But it sure is fun collecting saws!

I recall you talking about it in the thread, but can't remember details...is yours suped up at all?

Why bump this retarded thread? you will get more hits to your query if you post your own thread in the open forum.

Gary

Yeah, I thought twice about it...but it seems I always get yelled at for starting a new one when one already exists. I don't recall if it was here exactly, but I go to a lot of forums and its hard to keep them straight which ones get aggitated for bumping related threads, and which don't like new similar threads...I do apologize. I kinda figured that since my questions were mostly specifically aimed at Brad and his saw that I would for sure get his attention with this one rather than hoping I'd catch his eye with a new one

Back