The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The neighbor out by my dad's has a outdoor wood burner which he has always burned anything and everything in. The guy has no woods at all. There has been times I had to get out of my tree stand when I was hunting because the smoke was so thick I couldn't breath and I was hundred of yards away. Anyway lately I have been smelling what I thought was coal or railroad ties burning. I went for a little drive on the mule today and found this. There's a good amount of telephone poles in there to.20150330_144831.jpg20150330_144828.jpg 20150330_144836.jpg

The guys a millionaire, but he's tighter than a bulls ass during fly season. He even fires that thing to heat his water in summer. Yeah it takes a lot of nerve to burn that many ties. When he first bought the land he went through and cleared what he though was the fenceline. When they came to survey the land,it turned out we owned 30 foot on his side of the fence. The sad part is he stacked all the wood on our land and had to move it.

Much to precious to burn! I have done some nice projects with them.

But I do agree that today burning that stuff isn't taken lightly anymore. Here ties and telephone poles are hazard garbage and quite expensive to get rid of!
One telephone call to the right environement agency would get you quite some problems.

...I'd ask him to stop. If he didn't I'd report him.
Report him for what?? Report him to who??
Are you sure they're illegal to burn in Wisconsin??
They ain't illegal to burn here...

I cant imaging that's even safe or legal to do?
There ain't nothin' unsafe about burnin' railroad ties or telephone poles... but stickin' your face over the stack and suckin' in big gulps of smoke might make ya' a bit sick for a few minutes. Creosotes are nothing more than stuff we already burn, just concentrated into a tar... wood, coal and oil. Heck wood-tar creosote is used to flavor meat, and all have them have been used in medicine to varying degrees. The truth is... direct contact with creosote is more likely to make ya' sick than standin' down wind of a fire burnin' wood treated with it. For that matter, many wood treatments don't even use creosotes these days... they use stuff safer than the wood smoke itself.

Impressive amount of btu's there.
:laughing:
I don't care what anyone says... that there was funny‼

I'm sure he thinks he hit the mother load on those ties. We aren't gonna complain about it to anyone but it's inconsiderate on his part. I wonder how the other closer neighbor likes it.. since she wears a mask when she's cutting the lawn.

Whitespider has a point. If it isn't illegal where you are there isn't much you can do. You could ask him to start burning clean wood but I doubt that would change things.

If you want to force the issue, you need to catch him when he is burning garbage. I know it is illegal here to burn anything garbage related and I think they even have a hotline number to report suspected trash burners.

I'm sure he thinks he hit the mother load on those ties. We aren't gonna complain about it to anyone but it's inconsiderate on his part. I wonder how the other closer neighbor likes it.. since she wears a mask when she's cutting the lawn.

Ask her. If in agreement, both go over and ask him to cut it out. Regular firewood is one thing, that stuff is just noxious.

This is the sort of burning that is getting boilers and outdoor furnaces banned.

I looks like it's illegal in some neighboring counties but could find anything definite for our county... but it was funny this thread came up when I googled it. I think it probably is illegal. His house is quite a distance from my dad's house, I think the other neighbors will complain

Zogger-bingo. That's what I was thinking

I'm as "don't tread on me" as anyone but turn a blind eye? To this?
Yeah they arnt toxic at all.......cause spending years under diesel-electric locomotives kept em squeeky clean. No oil or diesel ever touched one of those things. Gimme a break!
If it was me and that **** was blowing over to my house into my newborns nostrils, there would be a problem.

That’s why many states are banning outdoor wood burners. Seems that those owners have no respect for the neighbors or the environment. I can’t imaging that's even safe or legal to do. He is the type of neighbor that will get all of the wood burners shut down.
Maybe time to do some investigating .

Goat, I would "like" your post but I'm boycotting the use of the "like" button until they bring back the "dislike" button.
I'm thinking a 22 would be a better idea. After all who else would "accidently" drill a hole in it other than an nearby neighbour. An accidental 22 shot in the USA wouldn't raise any suspicion.

Latest posts

Back