The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Whitespider
No it wouldn't reduce or eliminate it. Your turn a coat of paint into ashes and that makes it a heck of a lot easier to enter groundwater as its already reduced to basic elements. If you bury it (also illegal) at least it takes years to break down and enters groundwater slowly.

cute that you call spidey a troll harry,,esp with all the filth you and your communist friends put out when I was in political..or did you have to say that,,because spidey takes you to task,,and it irritates the hell out of you???? its just like you,,to pick and chose what town you want to,,to try and hang spidey.....but it didn't work..you loose again...

Well svk, I'd argue about that... with the possible exception of old lead-based paint, dried paint poses no danger of ground water contamination. It's the solvents and carriers in liquid paint that pose the danger... once those gas-off the danger is gone. Do a search... you'll find several publications on the proper disposal of paint. One issue mention is when the when the trash disposal site is burned paint containers may burst open releasing the contaminants into the ground. However, if the paint is allowed to dry, it poses no danger to ground water when burned. There ain't anything nasty in dried paint... especially modern paint... heck man, you can likely eat it and suffer no more than an upset stomach.

And back to Harry's "OPEN BURNING" thing...

IOWA CODE
100.40 Marshal may prohibit open burning on request.
1. The state fire marshal, during periods of extremely dry conditions or under other conditions when the state fire marshal finds open burning constitutes a danger to life or property, may prohibit open burning in an area of the state at the request of the chief of a local fire department, a city council or a board of supervisors and when an investigation supports the need for the prohibition. The state fire marshal shall implement the prohibition by issuing a proclamation to persons in the affected area. The chief of a local fire department, the city council or the board of supervisors that requested the prohibition may rescind the proclamation after notifying the state fire marshal of the intent to do so, when the chief, city council or board of supervisors finds that the conditions responsible for the issuance of the proclamation no longer exist.

2. Violation of a prohibition issued under this section is a simple misdemeanor.

3. A proclamation issued by the state fire marshal pursuant to this section shall not prohibit a supervised, controlled burn for which a permit has been issued by the fire chief of the fire district where the burn will take place, the use of outdoor fireplaces, barbecue grills, properly supervised landfills, or the burning of trash in incinerators or trash burners made of metal, concrete, masonry, or heavy one-inch wire mesh, with no openings greater than one square inch.

See Harry, a burn barrel (or an OWB) is not included in "OPEN BURNING".
"OPEN BURNING" is an unenclosed, or uncontained, fire on the ground... even my fire pit is not considered "OPEN BURNING".

Well svk, I'd argue about that... with the possible exception of old lead-based paint, dried paint poses no danger of ground water contamination. It's the solvents and carriers in liquid paint that pose the danger... once those gas-off the danger is gone. Do a search... you'll find several publications on the proper disposal of paint. One issue mention is when the when the trash disposal site is burned paint containers may burst open releasing the contaminants into the ground. However, if the paint is allowed to dry, it poses no danger to ground water when burned. There ain't anything nasty in dried paint... especially modern paint... heck man, you can likely eat it and suffer no more than an upset stomach.
One could argue about it, but I currently do not own property with any decrepit buildings so it's not really a concern to me. Same with burn barrels, I have no interest in lighting up a nasty, smoldering fire to dispose of my trash.

If someone wants to burn something questionable (where legal) it should be placed on a hot, roaring fire so the amount of nasty smoke it creates is limited.

One of my further away neighbor burns some questionable stuff. It's far enough away so I don't know who it is and don't really care as it's east of me so normally not my problem. OTOH I had a friend whose neighbor would purposely burn trash when the wind was blowing towards him. Nasty stuff.

Same with burn barrels, I have no interest in lighting up a nasty, smoldering fire to dispose of my trash.
Ummmm... that don't describe my burn barrel... you must be thinkin' of those clueless city folk :D
My current burn barrel is made from a large, 3/16 thick steel, water pressure tank... the sides are ventilated with ½-inch holes all the way around and up the sides so the fire gets plenty of air and burns hot. A "smoldering" burn barrel does not burn trash completely to ash, it fills up a ton faster with heavy stuff, and requires emptying often. Smoldering would defeat the purpose of a burn barrel... you want it to burn as completely as possible... otherwise it just makes a friggin' mess.

If someone wants to burn something questionable...
Questionable is relative...
Like I posted earlier, there's plenty of people who view your wood stove the same way you view a burn barrel... they hate your wood smoke as badly, or even worse, than you hate the smoke from a burn barrel.
However... you ain't stopped using your wood stove because someone is offended by it, or believes it to be unhealthy... have you??
My point ain't to justify burn barrels (or RR ties in an OWB)... my point is illustrate the hypocrisy of the condemnation... it ain't my place to justify, or condemn, what someone else does.
I do what I do according to my own conscience... I don't expect anyone else to follow suit... and I don't condemn them because they don't do as I do.

According to my cousin the oil based paints go in the incinerator and the latex is left out until dry then buried.

I only burn paper products in my barrel unless the kids throw something in the burn box i dont know about. And yes it burns hot and completely, otherwise i would empty it a lot. And i burn it twice a week.

I'm not sure that there are any laws about burning ties in an owb. I'm not sure if the whistle was blown on someone anyone would care.

ALL of Georgia,, or you just picking and choosing your spots like harry is??????? I doubt like h,,you know allllll the ordinances in Georgia....

All of Georgia.

Don't move here.

There is karma in the fact that those most exposed to the toxins created by burning household garbage are themselves and those in their immediate area.

Ummmm... that don't describe my burn barrel... you must be thinkin' of those clueless city folk :D
My current burn barrel is made from a large, 3/16 thick steel, water pressure tank... the sides are ventilated with ½-inch holes all the way around and up the sides so the fire gets plenty of air and burns hot. A "smoldering" burn barrel does not burn trash completely to ash, it fills up a ton faster with heavy stuff, and requires emptying often. Smoldering would defeat the purpose of a burn barrel... you want it to burn as completely as possible... otherwise it just makes a friggin' mess.

Questionable is relative...
Like I posted earlier, there's plenty of people who view your wood stove the same way you view a burn barrel... they hate your wood smoke as badly, or even worse, than you hate the smoke from a burn barrel.
However... you ain't stopped using your wood stove because someone is offended by it, or believes it to be unhealthy... have you??
My point ain't to justify burn barrels (or RR ties in an OWB)... my point is illustrate the hypocrisy of the condemnation... it ain't my place to justify, or condemn, what someone else does.
I do what I do according to my own conscience... I don't expect anyone else to follow suit... and I don't condemn them because they don't do as I do.
Again I am not arguing with you.

What else are you putting in the burn barrel to get complete combustion? When you look at all of the plastics in common garbage not to mention veggie scraps and meat bones, you need some serious heat to dry those organic materials up and to completely burn plastic. Think about that pad that comes under packaged chicken to suck up the juices....that is not going to burn without some serious heat.

When I think questionable, I think of stryrofoam, large amounts of plastic, etc. If you are legally able to burn it, then I'm not telling you it's wrong. But that smoke stinks and isn't healthy to be around. I actually like the smell of good wood drifting through the neighborhood like birch, maple, pine, etc. That's just me but I don't think anyone relishes the smell of burned styrofoam or tires.

Several States have outlawed the use of trash burning barrels... however, many of those States allow exemptions for rural residents and farming operation.

For example, Minnesota has banned "open burning" of household trash ("open burning" defined in Minnesota as any burning where the exhaust does not pass through a stack or chimney). However, Minnesota makes exemption for rural dwellers living where trash pick-up is not available... if you live in a county where there ain't rural trash pick-up, a burn barrel is legal. Minnesota also makes certain exemptions for farming operations. Minnesota also has banned the "open burning " of certain plastics, rubber, and treated lumber, such as RR ties, anywhere in the State without a permit (even in a county where "open burning" is legal).

But... and this is a big "but" relative to this thread... an OWB is not "open burning", neither is an enclosed burn barrel made with a door and a chimney.
Such as these below...
One of the guy up by our lake home made one from an old fuel oil tank like the one below left... he can legally burn near everything but tires now, because it ain't "open burning".

maxresdefault.jpg
x2uvf6.jpg

Several States have outlawed the use of trash burning barrels... however, many of those States allow exemptions for rural residents and farming operation.

For example, Minnesota has banned "open burning" of household trash ("open burning" defined in Minnesota as any burning where the exhaust does not pass through a stack or chimney). However, Minnesota makes exemption for rural dwellers living where trash pick-up is not available... if you live in a county where there ain't rural trash pick-up, a burn barrel is legal. Minnesota also makes certain exemptions for farming operations. Minnesota also has banned the "open burning " of certain plastics, rubber, and treated lumber, such as RR ties, anywhere in the State without a permit (even in a county where "open burning" is legal).

But... and this is a big "but" relative to this thread... an OWB is not "open burning", neither is an enclosed burn barrel made with a door and a chimney.
Such as these below...
One of the guy up by our lake home made one from an old fuel oil tank like the one below left... he can legally burn near everything but tires now, because it ain't "open burning".

maxresdefault.jpg
x2uvf6.jpg

Pollution out the ass.jpg

Pollution out the ass whitespider.jpg

https://epd.georgia.gov/air/sites/e...ted_files/document/burnbarrelsenglish2015.pdf

Air Pollutants

Smoke from burn barrels contains hazardous
pollutants such as particulate matter, sulfur dioxide,
lead, mercury, and hexachlorobenzene. These
pollutants can have immediate and long
term health effects such as:

• Asthma, emphysema, or other respiratory
illnesses.

Nervous system, kidney, or liver damage.

Reproductive or developmental disorders.

Not only are the people who burn trash exposed to
these pollutants, but so are their families and neigh-
bors. Children, the elderly, and those with pre-
existing respiratory conditions can be especially vul-
nerable.

Ash

The ash residue from backyard burning can contain
toxic pollutants, such as mercury, lead, chromium,
and arsenic, which can contaminate vegetables if scat-
tered in gardens. Children can accidentally swallow
toxic materials from dirt on their hands while playing
near discarded ash

View attachment 481218

View attachment 481219

https://epd.georgia.gov/air/sites/e...ted_files/document/burnbarrelsenglish2015.pdf

Air Pollutants

Smoke from burn barrels contains hazardous
pollutants such as particulate matter, sulfur dioxide,
lead, mercury, and hexachlorobenzene. These
pollutants can have immediate and long
term health effects such as:

• Asthma, emphysema, or other respiratory
illnesses.

Nervous system, kidney, or liver damage.

Reproductive or developmental disorders.

Not only are the people who burn trash exposed to
these pollutants, but so are their families and neigh-
bors. Children, the elderly, and those with pre-
existing respiratory conditions can be especially vul-
nerable.

Ash

The ash residue from backyard burning can contain
toxic pollutants, such as mercury, lead, chromium,
and arsenic, which can contaminate vegetables if scat-
tered in gardens. Children can accidentally swallow
toxic materials from dirt on their hands while playing
near discarded ash
well its a good thing that WS aint downwind of his own barrel...

My dad burns in a barrel, and I hate smelling it all day and the smoke gets in my truck, That's why I haul my trash to the dump. I don't care what they do with it after I drop it off.

Back