The new saw bug has bitten, and I'm about to scratch it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skip the stihls and go buy a echo 620 sold my ms290 and 390 and bought a echo cut a few cords so far with it and saw is incredible if there is a dealer near you I reccmmend going to check one out

J Williams, I'm not a brand hater, but I'm pretty hardcore Stihl, I like the feel, and the reputation. But I've been looking at the Dolmar 421 but it's now a Makita saw or something, I got lost in the details. It looks like a great saw, pretty much a MS241 that's $200 less.

I have a 271 that has seen a good bit of work using an 18” bar and has done well. My father in law really likes it and says his 250 is a dog in comparison. You should get the saw you want because which ever one you buy you must begin saving for the next one. After a few years of running the 271 I wanted a smaller saw for trail maintenance. I ended up with a 60 cc saw. Then when I should have been focusing on getting that smaller saw I ended up with a 92 cc saw. Since I didn’t have a 70 cc saw I decided to have my 60 cc saw ported. So finally said to self “get a grip” and start saving for a ms241 then loh and behold some very nice fellow @fordf150 on here has this killer deal on a new 79cc Dolmar. Since I have the husky and a couple of Stihls then I need to have the Dolmar right? Very nice saw.

In reality very true.

However.....once he gets going he’ll get an 044 maybe. Then with the 261 he would take the 036 or the 261 and 044

You are right. It wouldn’t be 261 and 036, or 036 and 044. Too close. If you take two saws they aren’t usually close in displacement.

If he takes two saws the 036 will get no love.

I needed something healthier than the ms-170 I'd been using and stumbled across a ms-460 that enticed me:heart::chainsaw: several years ago. Then an 046 off TP then a ported cylinder 661 also thru TP Now I seek 500i to hit German market so I can add one to the corral. An auction gave up an 041 for $50 and an ocasional person gives me a saw or two. OOOOH yeah careful be very careful about buying a new saw, something happens unexplainable:lol:

And then some of us do have 16” bars for their ported 084........

And I know there are some in NY and Down Under........I sent them there.

Hey, I ran across a NOS Oregon 16" roller nose bar in all my crap the other day, I couldn't figure out what mount it was, so I put it on the Bridgeport and made it fit my 084. Now I have to build a pipe saw for the bar.

That's a field that I've thought about exploring further. You know. Various kinds and types of medical maladies. The power of the human mind, along with a MAGNUM sticker, can and does work wonders.

In the spirit of my Magnum rifles, can I put a "Short Magnum" sticker on my 180 to make it instantly run like a 211?

My father-in-law has to go get some new chains, so he's convinced me to go look at saws at the Stihl dealer. The Pro saw urge has gotten me pretty bad, I've been watching YouTube reviews. I'm going to look at a MS241 and MS261. While I'm there, I'm also going to give the MS250 and MS271 a look.

I know a 250 will be a lot stronger than my 180 and probably fit my needs perfectly, but the 241 seems to have a better filtration system, and the M-Tronic looks very nice. Along with a more durable metal case.

I'm open to suggestions from you guys with way more experience than myself. I use it for felling some trees, but mostly limbing and cutting up firewood. Whatever I go with, I will be running a 16" bar on it. This saw will be with me until it wears out, so resale value is of no concern. I know getting used to a heavier saw takes a little time.

$349 - MS250
$519 - MS241
$559 - MS261
$379 - MS271

Buy the 250...not a saw mentioned is worth over 500 bucks. I've owned every say mentioned and the 250 is the only decent deal. The 261 in any stock form did not impress me at all. 271 is a joke and if you don't know how to tune a saw it will be short lived.

When the MS250 was $269 its a decent deal but I would lean towards the 261 now that's its been updated and looks cool, I haven't run one but use the 550xp a lot so if its anything like that, it should be great. The 50cc saws now are not much heavier than those 40cc but they are quite lighter than the 60cc so I always grab the 550xp and sold the 241 and sold the 562xp and sold the MS362.....for most things I just go 550xp and then 661 and all the rest stump size stuff, the other saws get neglected, even the 044 046 and 372 but i'm sure i'll return to those when I get older and the 90cc gets too heavy.

I would do a 261 over a 241. The 241 is good for doing a bunch of 10-12" stuff but if you get into the 16"+ material its just like a 250 or 251, under powered at 3HP. I personally love a 50cc saw with a 16" and then knock it up to full 3/8 with some Stihl RSK chain. Ewwwweeeee have some fun!!!!

Latest posts

Back