The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a new KM 130R power head today.. was VERY pleased to see that it's got a regular fill cap on it. Hopefully stihl's gonna get rid of the overengineered flippy cap. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of gasoline and oil have been wasted on account of those caps.

played with a hung poplar

This tipped poplar hung in an ash I was partial to, so instead of letting it continue to lean on the ash I decided to see what my wee little tacoma could do...Turns out the Tacoma did pretty well.......rigged it and tugged it upright and then brought it down into a more convenient spot to process it...

It looks like my work climbing is wrapping up for the season. I probably have a few more trees to take down but not too many. The past 2 months I've been working real close to transmission lines. That gets old.
I found some good trees close to home to practice climb in. See if I can get the rope walker thing figured out.

removed a big sprawing birch with a medium sized twin stem hemlock growing all through and around....removed both and was climbing from stem to stem limbing my way up and again blocking down....Had to rig a fair number of the pieces as there was an ornamental cherry, some water lines, and some power lines to avoid....Fantastic Fall weather today in Vermont...

Tracking solar panels are cool

was pruning some dead limbs out of a Maple above this tracking PV array this morning....So cool, every couple of minutes it would make a small sound and move slightly....

removed a really big tree sized poplar limb from the roof of a cool 3 story barn....used a ladder to get on the roof then tied into a rope with petzl rig for work positioning....removed as much weight as I could and rigged the main stem off with a block above (and in a desirable direction) the failed limb. Rope from stem to block to porta wrap on Tacoma...Worked great! Some of the best weather of the year right now here in VT!

Attachments

• poplar on barn 2.jpg
    poplar on barn 2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 36
  • poplar on barn.jpg
    poplar on barn.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 39
removed a really big tree sized poplar limb from the roof of a cool 3 story barn....used a ladder to get on the roof then tied into a rope with petzl rig for work positioning....removed as much weight as I could and rigged the main stem off with a block above (and in a desirable direction) the failed limb. Rope from stem to block to porta wrap on Tacoma...Worked great! Some of the best weather of the year right now here in VT!

How's that arm doin?

How's that arm doin?

Totally healed up. :msp_smile: I just kept slathering antibiotic ointment on it and wrapping it with gauze. its a little itchy but like I said totally healed....Lucky for me I've been able to work without any restrictions the whole time it healed. I've got a great new 3/4" Husky bull rope and am thinking of getting another & possibly a large portawrap....(I have a med. and love it.....)

Bump.

Work has gone dry around here for now. I need a reason to run a saw or I'm gonna go nutz...

Same here. But I´m having some aspen and spruces that is going down this WE. Gives me a chance to try out my all brand new chainsaw pants!
Just bought a par of Husqvarna Technical extreme. Kinda pricy but really snappy! :chop:
waist-trousers,-technical-extreme-73ccccf3.png

Last edited:
It's getting bad... I'm to the point where I'm taking things apart just so I can put them back together for something to do. My 460 sits half torn apart getting the cleaning of it's life... Because I'm bored. It sure looks good though

Same here. But I´m having some aspen and spruces that is going down this WE. Gives me a chance to try out my all brand new chainsaw pants!
Just bought a par of Husqvarna Technical extreme. Kinda pricy but really snappy! :chop:
waist-trousers,-technical-extreme-73ccccf3.png

Nice pants but for that kind of money I would expect them to be water proof also.

Well... I just stuffed the outdoor wood boiler full of wood this morning, apparently got my face a little close to the opening and heard a sizzle, and singed my beard and my eyebrows a bit. But on a better note Im bidding on a boxer 320 on an online auction that closes today. Hopefully I can get it and fab up a grapple bucket for it this winter and put it to use. It kinda sucks to burn up some of the profits of this year on more equipment like I have for the last three. I have been dumping most profits back into the business with buying and paying for equipment In hopes of it turning into a full time job. I am hoping this spring to maybe make the move. My business plan is to try to get by as long as possible with myself as a 1 man show most of the time until my volume goes up so much that i cant keep up. I'm hoping that this mini will save alot of wear and tear on my body. I have a full size skid now but i'm kinda getting sick of dragging plywood wherever I go. Hopefully I get it.

Ha ha, no problem. If its going to stay as cold as its supposed to i'm going to be chucking plenty of wood in that thing. I have a few jobs lined up for this winter to do but if the weather stays like it has been its going to be hard to get them done. Stuff just does't want to work too well in the cold much less getting equipment around in the snow. It seems like everything takes twice as long in the winter vs. the other seasons. How do you guys that are in the snowy states get things cleaned up? The work that I have done lately i have taken the skid and cleared the area of snow. I have no problem with the bulk of it but i havent been doing a whole bunch of raking just because its futile. I make it clear to everyone that it might not be cleaned perfectly.

Latest posts

Back