The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using the michoacan and its been working out great I just don't hear to much about guys using it? Tried the distel but didn't like it and I haven't tried the vt yet so I can't compare. But I do like how it works with a pulley vs a blakes.

coordinated delivery of some spalted male to a local wood worker who will make something out of it other than firewood....

You'll always have a little setback. VT's still the way to go.

I am in the process now of incorporating the Hitch Climber pulley and VT in my work climbs. I really love the minimal setback of the vt. Takes me an extra minute to set up over the Blake's on a split tail, but the versatility makes up for that the first time I reposition my TIP. Ordered my pulley from Treestuff in Tactical black. Didn't have that color, so they sent me a blue and orange one for free. Said the black would ship in 3 weeks, just got it last weekend. Really lovin Tree stuff and Wesspur too!

I cut and climbed 4 days this week. Spent today hauling chips and roots/ stumps. Cat 257 tracked skid steer and a 7'×14' dump trailer with 4" sides. We hauled 4 loads.

Ya know a tool that I think is one of the in sung heros of tree service work is , a 5 tine

manure fork. Its just an amazing tool for moving material and cleanup.
I didn't plan on hauling off the chips , much less the roots where the linemen trenched , but the Super wanted it done and paid for it so the boss said go ahead. . Then went and looked at some new work they want done. , about a thousand feet or more. But I'll be able to fall most of it. I was sposed to start on Limbing along the lines by today, but they had another outage so I guess they want to replace the 40 year old under ground line.

Ordered a 7/16 Samson Static Kern today 150' . Will see how it works. I was ready to order Arbor Pro Bigfoot but wanted to try a kernmantle line
I wanted to try the 3/8" but the guy talked me into 7/16
Ordered a Samauri Ichiban also. And some actual throw line and a 20 oz weight. And some splicing gear. All from WesSpur. Have to wait on the grapple hook till next week.

It is mostly for going sideways and for gaining another 8-10' into the top to set the pulling line. But like a lot of this Arborist stuff. I'm learning as I go. I have been using a 2 lb lead cannon ball fishing weight. . Gotta watch out when it bounces and comes back at ya. .
I'm gonna make a set of suspenders for my saddle today. .
I finally got the floating rim on my Jonsred 2150 and put a 24" Oregon 3/8 pitch full skip chisel bit on it. More reach and better for blocking down.
When I order a big shot I plan on ordering a good selection of throw weights. Thanks for the tip. !!!

OK. I'll fess up. I have been using a wrist rocket sting shot with a 4 oz round fishing weight and 120 pound dyneema halibut line. . When everything goes right it will zing it 50' up atree .

If you like the manure fork, you're gonna love a 10 tine cob fork

Ya know a tool that I think is one of the in sung heros of tree service work is , a 5 tine

manure fork. Its just an amazing tool for moving material and cleanup.

Works as a rake then scoops up debris to throw it in the trailer.

OK. More trails and mental tribulations on you guys with my???? .

I like the GriGri for its security, but its a fair hassle slacking myself down. So, I got going on the Blake's hitch and like it. So. My thinking is to get good with what I'm using before going on to the next thing. Since everyone seems real happy with the VT I'll prolly end up there. But not right away.
So. How would a Samson 7/16 Velocity split tail work with 7/16 Samson Static Kern .

OK. More trails and mental tribulations on you guys with my???? .

I like the GriGri for its security, but its a fair hassle slacking myself down. So, I got going on the Blake's hitch and like it. So. My thinking is to get good with what I'm using before going on to the next thing. Since everyone seems real happy with the VT I'll prolly end up there. But not right away.
So. How would a Samson 7/16 Velocity split tail work with 7/16 Samson Static Kern .

I think as long as you stay with the same size split tail you will be ok, you will just have to see how the polyester / nylon blend of that double braid works against the polyester on the kern. Just would not want the kern to be the split tail as I don't think it is as supple.
Pretty sure the quicker you move from that Blake's hitch the happier you will be.

Probably. And if I had a more experienced climber here that used one I'de prolly take right off on it. However when I'm up a tree I tend to have ALOT on my mind other than my hitch. I'm to beat at the end of the dayto practice. Shoot. I'm pretty jazzed that I got into using a minder pulley on the Blake's. Having the Liger on my Cougar I'm gonna try the 8 from the top hole in the rigging plate . I may go the Hitch Hiker route before the VT. It doesn't look like it will wear out anytime soon so it would be a good investment. If Pretzl gets the ZZ fixed then that will be on my short list.

This Arborist climbing sure is a lot different than tower loggin climbing.

One thing I have learned is for spur climbing a 7/8" wire core 4 strand manilla flipline that has a spliced eye and runs thru the D, around the back and out the other D then around the tree and ties into the eye with a cats paw/ sheet bend. Is far preferable to a modern wire core flip line with snaps.
It's a lot quieter, better handling and gives a more secure feel.
If a guy is taking down a larger conifer it is definatly the way to go IMO+E

So, I started Side trimming today. Along the standing lines. . Cottonwood and Sitka spruce. Man, the spruce will work ya to death. Some of it is over 3' on the stump and I'm going up 50-70' then repelling down. It was hot, for here today
Climb 1 then lay down in the shade till my core temp got down to normal then do it again and again. In the spruce where I need to wrassel some limbs the rest of the way down I really like the Blake's on a split tail then a Rescue 8 below that. Nice and steady. The pole saw. Husky 327 . Comes in handy for some of them but only a coupleper tree.

Back