The next step ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reachtreeservi

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay, here's the situation.

You've got a 200t and a 361 pro.
More rope and climbing gear than you can fit in your vehicle.
You've been doing tree work for a couple of years, just pruning and removals.
Working for friends and family ,Nothing really big.
You like the work and would like to do more of it . ( Go figure! )
You could get more work if you had insurance, but don't have enough work to pay for it upfront . You need competent help , but can't work someone full time. So you use friends and family . ( Go figure! )
You've tried to quit doing the work many times , but everytime you do ,someone comes up with another job that you just can't pass up.
The Question is : How do you bridge the gap between this and a full time job
with one or two full time employees ,and pay all the taxes and insurance ?
Without taking out a large loan, it seems like literally , you can't get there from here! What's the next step?

Get a full time job for a tree serv. then do what you are doing now on the weekends, after work. Save some money and buy a beater chip truck and an old whisper chipper, good luck to you.

Start charging friends and family more :)
Seriously, start out with smaller jobs that don't require a lot of manpower, there are plenty of them out there. Hire help as needed until you can afford someone on payroll or sub out your cleanup work, plenty of folks around with pickup trucks looking to haul debris. Another option, just become a hired gun climber, show up, put the tree on the ground or trim what is needed, roll up your rope, get paid and walk away. However you do it , get insurance and business license, always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Be careful and good luck. ;)

Tree Machine has worked for 14 years solo. Not that I recommend it, but employees aren't necessary. I agree with the advice above though, get a job with a tree service and do your gig part time on the side. I did that for several years.

As far as insurance goes, most insurance companies will finance your premium, and you just pay monthly over 12 months. Being as small as you are, you ins. shouldn't be too bad. Look into it, you might be surprised. Good for you for trying to do the right thing instead of trying to cheat the system, your customers, your competitiors and utimately, yourself. Good luck and be safe.

excellent

clearance said:
Get a full time job for a tree serv. then do what you are doing now on the weekends, after work. Save some money and buy a beater chip truck and an old whisper chipper, good luck to you.
consider it a way to subsidize your biz go muni or utilty if you can some guys i heard of do pt with shipping co.s start at 3pm till 7pm or airport pickup 3am till 6am with trucks, benes and sick days, double dip on vacation time to sock it away.... leave the dream!

Back