The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your road is wet .
That's the dry part behind looks like a melted milkshake soup but the rock hasn't failed us yet even running the heavy mule trains running. Had two trucks running so we'll see how much longer the roads hold up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's the dry part behind looks like a melted milkshake soup but the rock hasn't failed us yet even running the heavy mule trains running. Had two trucks running so we'll see how much longer the roads hold up.

Talking to a fellerbuncher operator yesterday ,dnr shut them down for being too wet .

Talking to a fellerbuncher operator yesterday ,dnr shut them down for being too wet .
I'm shutting down the cutting and yarding tomorrow it's just too damn wet down here. Is DNR like all the government jobs down here where there's two rain drops and you're shut down?

Matt if you did less stuff like that and actually got busy working you could produce enough maybe to make it a true part time gig.

Well, then it wouldn't be fun would it...

Seriously though it only takes a few seconds to set up a video, the real time killer is dealing with home owners and rigging the sketchy trees, excavators are handy for shovin stuff over, but not as sure fire as a good bull line or a cable hung in a tree.

Working solo it takes what seems like 3 times as long to set stuff like that up, not only the draggin stuff around, but arranging it so the equipment is accessible from the stump in a timely manner, might as well be rigging a yarder at times.

The above vids only took up what 15 minutes of an 8 hour day, and its not like I don't talk to myself in the bushes anyway. I don't make cuts or edits (cause I don't know how...) I just post em.

The last few jobs have all been short ground with very little room for error, I could push and slam it out, possibly smash a house, car or kill someone, I prefer to be careful.

Well, then it wouldn't be fun would it...

Seriously though it only takes a few seconds to set up a video, the real time killer is dealing with home owners and rigging the sketchy trees, excavators are handy for shovin stuff over, but not as sure fire as a good bull line or a cable hung in a tree.

Working solo it takes what seems like 3 times as long to set stuff like that up, not only the draggin stuff around, but arranging it so the equipment is accessible from the stump in a timely manner, might as well be rigging a yarder at times.

The above vids only took up what 15 minutes of an 8 hour day, and its not like I don't talk to myself in the bushes anyway. I don't make cuts or edits (cause I don't know how...) I just post em.

The last few jobs have all been short ground with very little room for error, I could push and slam it out, possibly smash a house, car or kill someone, I prefer to be careful.
We all work in tight corridors been in those same situations it's a time to slow down yes but to me that's taking too long. On line work you really need a second hand hell even cutting you should have a cutting partner because you just never know, just for instance I've had to rush a guy to the hospital for stepping on an underground bees nest good to never work or cut alone.

Matt you need to get away from the houses. I do some work around houses like a tree or to with the entire job. No rigging. Anything other then that is glorified tree work. I'm not bagging on what you do but I know what pays and what doesn't. If you are getting paid extra for all those trees that need extra then fine, but it's almost never worth the cost of the timber. 95% of the time I only have to worry about damaging the residual stand.

As far as working alone as long as you work at a comfortable pace and you're very observant you are pretty much fine. When I had a skidder pushing me I felt like I was taking more risks to keep the wood coming.

Matt you need to get away from the houses. I do some work around houses like a tree or to with the entire job. No rigging. Anything other then that is glorified tree work. I'm not bagging on what you do but I know what pays and what doesn't. If you are getting paid extra for all those trees that need extra then fine, but it's almost never worth the cost of the timber. 95% of the time I only have to worry about damaging the residual stand.

As far as working alone as long as you work at a comfortable pace and you're very observant you are pretty much fine. When I had a skidder pushing me I felt like I was taking more risks to keep the wood coming.
One of the first things I was taught when cutting was to never cut alone you're just asking to get killed.

Risk and reward.

to Hire a cutter, would mean payin them roughly $30 and hour and another $21 an hour to l+I, 408 a day, not to mention further insurance costs, medical, dental retirement...

And not to mention just the costs, but have you tried hiring anyone lately?

Not exactly an abundance of warm bodies to spare, and those that are left I wouldn't trust with a tooth brush let alone a running chainsaw. Think about it the big outfits in logging are HIRING in WINTER...

And to be honest the closest I've come to getting killed is from the help I have had screwin up and sendin Hel my way.

Cutting alone is dangerous, Yes, but we're all pretty much alone at the stump anyway, 5 minutes one way or the other is about all you have. If I'm going to get killed falling timber I highly doubt having someone there is going to do much good, other then notifying the correct folks while my carcass is still warm.

One of the first things I was taught when cutting was to never cut alone you're just asking to get killed.

How many guys you know that have cut alone got killed? Every one I've known who has been hurt or killed and all the stories I've heard they were part of a crew. I honestly think there is more pressure to produce when a skidder is chasing you. When you're alone you take the time to set things up right. Go through all the possible scenarios and keep your head on a swivel. Yes you do the same things when cutting on a crew but when you're alone it's just you and you're all you have.

How many guys you know that have cut alone got killed? Every one I've known who has been hurt or killed and all the stories I've heard they were part of a crew. I honestly think there is more pressure to produce when a skidder is chasing you. When you're alone you take the time to set things up right. Go through all the possible scenarios and keep your head on a swivel. Yes you do the same things when cutting on a crew but when you're alone it's just you and you're all you have.
Lots of guys cut alone out here on crews and there was lots of deaths a few years ago with them getting pushed from the yarder you'll hardly see a skidder with a Faller here in production settings unless you have a special piece. Lots of the guys I've cut with and myself included learned to cut well beating wedges stuff like that or bumping knobs which most of the companies don't allow anymore. I do have buddies that still make a living cutting but I will say this they spend more time at home now then in the woods times are changing and will continue to do so, I heard a rumour there was 3 tethering machines coming out your way and possibly a forwarder.

Risk and reward.

to Hire a cutter, would mean payin them roughly $30 and hour and another $21 an hour to l+I, 408 a day, not to mention further insurance costs, medical, dental retirement...

And not to mention just the costs, but have you tried hiring anyone lately?

Not exactly an abundance of warm bodies to spare, and those that are left I wouldn't trust with a tooth brush let alone a running chainsaw. Think about it the big outfits in logging are HIRING in WINTER...

And to be honest the closest I've come to getting killed is from the help I have had screwin up and sendin Hel my way.

Cutting alone is dangerous, Yes, but we're all pretty much alone at the stump anyway, 5 minutes one way or the other is about all you have. If I'm going to get killed falling timber I highly doubt having someone there is going to do much good, other then notifying the correct folks while my carcass is still warm.
I do know guys that their cutting partner has saved their lives it's preference but I'd choose to have one myself.

Your confusing choosing with having a choice.

If it was possible i would live to have a skilled faller on my crew, but as i said its simply unaffordable. And there isn't a choice as to training any either
Most of the companies here hire sub contractors now ,saves on the industrial insurance .They do their own taxes that way also .

Lots of guys cut alone out here on crews and there was lots of deaths a few years ago with them getting pushed from the yarder you'll hardly see a skidder with a Faller here in production settings unless you have a special piece. Lots of the guys I've cut with and myself included learned to cut well beating wedges stuff like that or bumping knobs which most of the companies don't allow anymore. I do have buddies that still make a living cutting but I will say this they spend more time at home now then in the woods times are changing and will continue to do so, I heard a rumour there was 3 tethering machines coming out your way and possibly a forwarder.

You're talking about a cutting partner that is physically with you all day. That never happens here. If there is a crew cutting then one guy is here another guy is several tree lengths over there etc. By cutting alone I mean all alone. No crew, nothing. Just me. when I'm done I skid up my wood. Tethering machines here? I wouldn't doubt it. We seem to be on the cutting edge of the most expensive way to cut the least expensive wood here.

You're talking about a cutting partner that is physically with you all day. That never happens here. If there is a crew cutting then one guy is here another guy is several tree lengths over there etc. By cutting alone I mean all alone. No crew, nothing. Just me. when I'm done I skid up my wood. Tethering machines here? I wouldn't doubt it. We seem to be on the cutting edge of the most expensive way to cut the least expensive wood here.

There was a mini yarder demo down your way somewhere a couple years ago. That stuff can't produce enough timber per setting to pay in most hardwood stands.

Back