The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teach me to run the 440A. You put the bull rope in the tree and I’ll pull up the cable.

Former local AS poster had an 084. Called it his firewood saw. He and I went to Terry Landrum’s first gtg together. He took it and a friend of mine took my SP125C. I was on stroke watch at the time so I couldn’t even carry my own saw much less run his 084. I know several were impressed with his firewood saw. He moved before I recovered so I never got to try it.

Ron
Ron here's a cool little idea for a jack https://www.clarkforest.com/shop/lo...ling-tools/ram-wedge-hydraulic-felling-wedges

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Pricey little beast. I wonder if the loop is so you can chain it to the tree to keep it from popping out. Ron
Never seen one in person but it reminds me of a wedge you can get for body work.

Got to spend the morning with mucky mucks from SP, Weyco, Hampton, The FS, and a handfull of other gyppos with delusions of greatness. (ok some are legit great)

Anyway, I heard good things from the FS about managing timber sales, in a more friendly environment etc, they are hamstrung of course by stoopid rules as always, but they are doing what they can.

As I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics, it was an eye opening meeting, I think for all sides.

Got to spend the morning with mucky mucks from SP, Weyco, Hampton, The FS, and a handfull of other gyppos with delusions of greatness. (ok some are legit great)

Anyway, I heard good things from the FS about managing timber sales, in a more friendly environment etc, they are hamstrung of course by stoopid rules as always, but they are doing what they can.

As I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics, it was an eye opening meeting, I think for all sides.
Just a quick tip I learned being around this type of work is keep your mouth shut no matter what, it could be your best friend, your family, your enemy you can loose a job from your mouth or from a guy under bidding you just because they know you're there.

Let's just say on state jobs I know guys have got under bid on super super small jobs thinning or not for .25 of a penny in Washington just to run small companies under or to run a guy out easy.

There is no way I could even bid on these projects so I'm not real worried about being underbid, besides if they want to play BS games like that then I'm the guy to encourage it, cause they will eventually run themselves out of town, Underbidding folks out of spite has a special ring of Hel.

As it sits I'm woefully under equipped, and under manned to be bidding on anything more then I bid on now. But its looking like the FS is coming around to harvesting more timber around here.

Couple years and a small yarder I might be set up for some of the smaller units, but not until then, I just hope for a campground project, or a small view clearing type work.

That and NO ONE is bidding on them as is... Hence the big mucky muck meeting.

There is no way I could even bid on these projects so I'm not real worried about being underbid, besides if they want to play BS games like that then I'm the guy to encourage it, cause they will eventually run themselves out of town, Underbidding folks out of spite has a special ring of Hel.

As it sits I'm woefully under equipped, and under manned to be bidding on anything more then I bid on now. But its looking like the FS is coming around to harvesting more timber around here.

Couple years and a small yarder I might be set up for some of the smaller units, but not until then, I just hope for a campground project, or a small view clearing type work.

That and NO ONE is bidding on them as is... Hence the big mucky muck meeting.
I know a guy that can and will, he does those sort of projects as a favor for companies as well as the government when you have stuff paid for in cash all the time you can do that. On the last job I was on they had a buncher a couple miles up the road the company asked them to cut a right a way they bought in their low boy to move the machine just to leave the wood.

Well let him then.

I have enough work without needing the FS as it is, folks wanna play ******* and go broke in the process let em.

Doing work for no pay even if its a favor will get old after awhile, granted I own everything outright, and I can therefore afford to do things other guys couldn't, but I still need to make a living and put something away for new better machines, and like retirement and ****... so I'm not into playing favors unless I get something out of it too.

Many folks around here are undercutting on dumptruck hauling, but they won't be around long enough to enjoy the current boom, cause trucks is expensive, even paid for trucks, and if your not making enough to put a little away you're one breakdown from bankruptcy, and them big companies you were doing favors for, suddenly can't remember your name or phone number.

I know a guy that can and will, he does those sort of projects as a favor for companies as well as the government when you have stuff paid for in cash all the time you can do that. On the last job I was on they had a buncher a couple miles up the road the company asked them to cut a right a way they bought in their low boy to move the machine just to leave the wood.

Favors can get expensive. A lot of times a forester will try to talk a logger into using a machine for no cost for "just a little job". The forester then gets to run back to the office and brag about getting the logger to work for free.
Plus, once you start doing freebies who do you think they'll call every time they want another "little job" done?
That being said, I've done my share of favors. If there was a machine close I'd do what I could. But if it was going to run into time and not having the machine available for it;s main job we'd start talking about hourly rates.
It's funny how fast they'll come up with some bucks when they know they can't get you to work for free.

Those bug eyes suck for fines or when it's raining I gave up on them and went back to safety glasses with a slight tint that look like a sun glass.

Indoor/Outdoor?

Yeah, me too.

I do, but our timber is larger where we can fit a jack or jacks into. The stick is scary that's for sure but it was made for smaller shorter timber then what we have out here. I think the smallest I've fit the 45 ton jack with plates in is 28", when I had a back pack set of Silvey big jacks I think the smallest I could fit a single ram was 26" and that was pushing the limits.

I intend to own a good Aluminum Felling Jack one day.

A few pictures from OLC that Tigercat harvester is one big girl.
0ed7493549bfbcdf13085ae621de669b.jpg
df98d170d630f868da3cc2a19adb4e50.jpg
563d8c6e0b1588c96a53eed824935222.jpg

Back