The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is Northman and his video camera when you need him?

Firewood lot is closed for the summer so my weekend labor turns to the yard - not my favorite activity. Fortunately it was too wet to mow this morning so I decided to cut a few trees that have been waiting on me. I think you folks call them school marms but anyways I took on a five stem wild cherry just under 80' interlocked with a poplar about 10 feet away. Cut two stems together, then the third with the poplar, then the fourth, leaving the fifth that was pencil straight for about 40' then slight lean in the exact opposite direction that the others fell. Using all my AS learning (both approved and disdained), I bored a slot for a wedge, put in the back cut, tapped tight a wedge, then began the face cut. With just slivers to go, saw ran out of fuel. Hustled to the garage to refuel, returned within 100' when a nice cool breeze pushed the tree over. It fell right on top of the third stem as pretty as you please. Just more proof for my chainsaw and firewood friends that just because things work out well doesn't mean you know what you are doing or that you did it right. Too bad it wasn't caught on video.

Ron

Speaking of Northman, where is he when you need him and all his stuff you don't have. Hung my fork on a root and my toy tractor bent the rack. No way I can straighten it with my tools and medical limitations so I am off to the welding shop some time soon. Now that it is bent, the drooping just makes it hang up more.

IMG_3052.JPG IMG_3054.JPG

Ron

Speaking of Northman, where is he when you need him and all his stuff you don't have. Hung my fork on a root and my toy tractor bent the rack. No way I can straighten it with my tools and medical limitations so I am off to the welding shop some time soon. Now that it is bent, the drooping just makes it hang up more.

View attachment 653092 View attachment 653093

Ron

A floor jack at the tip of the fork tine might bend that right back just have a square to double check if you want it perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With non-stop ringing in one ear, I wear muffs most of the time now but even there my rookie inexperience is apparent. My better ear felt like it was being tickled today. Took the muffs off to find a teenage granddaddy long legs crawling around in the cup. That is what I get for not checking them after sitting them on the ground while I cooled off a little. Glad it wasn't one of the other variety of spiders we have around here.

Ron

A floor jack at the tip of the fork tine might bend that right back just have a square to double check if you want it perfect.

Thanks. A floor jack I have. I'll give it a try but am guessing that the fork will just pop off as they just sit on the rail. Doesn't need to be perfect just close. Ron

Skeans, you are the man! You got me thinking resolution instead of resignation. Didn't use the floor jack. Just backed up to my fresh cherry stump, sat the tine on it and used the hydraulic top link. Not pretty but it is straight. Left my phone in the house and it is raining again so just take my word for it. Put your bill in the mail.

Ron

With non-stop ringing in one ear, I wear muffs most of the time now but even there my rookie inexperience is apparent. My better ear felt like it was being tickled today. Took the muffs off to find a teenage granddaddy long legs crawling around in the cup. That is what I get for not checking them after sitting them on the ground while I cooled off a little. Glad it wasn't one of the other variety of spiders we have around here.

Ron

NOPE NOPE NOPE!

I dont mind spiders, unless they are in my clothes etc... then poof, large naked angry man ape swatting and swearing at invisible things.

As far as me an my camera... we're several thousand miles away...

I actually made a sketch of a spider and web to use as a template to paint on your saw with the fuel cap as the spider’s thorax and abdomen - silver web & black spider with red eyes but thought you might rather have the rat rod left untouched so I didn’t.

Ron

That is plenty cool in its own right.

Can’t seem to find the time on the weekends and too tired in the evenings, but I have a little personal work saw project that you inspired. Couldn’t quite get to the desired level but pretty close. I have all the parts except for modern seals that I haven’t ordered yet. Brian wants to put it together for me and would do a better job, but I want to do it myself so it may be a while. I hope it runs well. How ever it turns out will be reported on the MAC thread.

Ron

https://www.publicnewsservice.org/2...ail&utm_term=0_1e626712e1-210eba1248-54271457

More regs headed to the PNW? Plant it all in with hardwoods so the bigs have more habitat.

I don’t know about that maybe Washington, Oregon has the forestry practice act we have to plant X amount percentage of what was naturally here which is Doug Fir. Alder is an under story tree with a shorter life cycle, but roughly the same growth time as a fir here.

So without getting too political

thanks to a certain failed trade deal, by a certain president

Entire barges of logs have been turned back from china, this means that MY MONEY has been delayed, and probably also means lower log prices

Granted by now I think everything is back on track, but it really messes things up when the one export yard in this part of the state stops taking logs, and the first time I can remember 3 other mills are full up, largely because of this trade deal.

Luckily the next coupl weeks Im just going to be digging dirt

Back