The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Middle of a pandemic, economy just took a nose dive, price of silver/gold on a rocket trip

Log prices are up? a little anyway? I don't unuh stan

I assume from the demand for lumber. Lots of home improvement going on right now and even a few new homes being built. In these here parts I suspect a few folks from......SEATTLE are buying places and will need to fix them up to meet SEATTLE standards. However, I think our county is now number one in the state, or close to it, for Covid cases per capita. Thank you to the mega orchard corporation which played a major part in that happening.

I assume from the demand for lumber. Lots of home improvement going on right now and even a few new homes being built. In these here parts I suspect a few folks from......SEATTLE are buying places and will need to fix them up to meet SEATTLE standards. However, I think our county is now number one in the state, or close to it, for Covid cases per capita. Thank you to the mega orchard corporation which played a major part in that happening.
Dunno? The cedar market is strong cause folks have finally had time to redo decks and fences.

The fir/hem market could be cause of a lot of new construction finally getting going again.

At the same time I know of at least 2 major outfits that shut down for a month when prices got real low, talking like 7-8 yarder sides moth balled, and Weyco shut down entirely for a little while too

A lot of this is in part because of concerns about covid, some of it because timber prices have taken a big fat dump since El Trump started his trade war.

Prices are nowhere near where they should be, since there is literally zero chinese export, they where likely 75% of the export market here, but China is just getting their wood from Russia, or Australia at the moment... and that market is more then likely not to come back... possibly ever.

Even though there are still daily trains plum full of Canadian lumber, and the odd oversize Fir logs from canada... (they float a few rafts down to Everett now and again) Our local mills are getting less then 15 loads a day... SP and Hampton are probably doing better, cause they get their own timber, and fight eachother for FS contracts, the rest of em are starving for wood. Before the trade war, it was more like 30-50 loads a day at the smaller mills, and 200 or more at the bigger mills

so I got my filthy pawsicon 500i today...

holy ole fawk is this thing got ballz

light too

puts my beloved 461's to shame
20200813_160032.jpg
things I dont like are the kill switch, but only cause it's different from what I'm used to, but very different, no longer a flick of the thumb, you have to push it...and that means new muscle memory which is gonna be tough to learn

so I got my filthy pawsicon 500i today...

holy ole fawk is this thing got ballz

light too

puts my beloved 461's to shame
View attachment 848224
things I dont like are the kill switch, but only cause it's different from what I'm used to, but very different, no longer a flick of the thumb, you have to push it...and that means new muscle memory which is gonna be tough to learn
Nice. I am still waiting for them to show. Did you get a wrap? Here I think I will have to settle for the regular model or wait a lot longer.
Keep us posted on how you like it.

Ron
I did not purchase...
gots no money lol

local dealer has 1... and so far only 1, that has letting folks test drive.

full wrap is on order, word is only 5 dealers out of 100 get a shot at em as yet...
so could be a bit before they are common

Hmm, I hope it’s a better replacement for the MS 461 than that gutless thing Stihl tried to tell us replaced both the 44 and 46 series.

Serious question seeing as some of the guys who have tried it have commented-is the AV squishy with a longer bar?

Hmm, I hope it’s a better replacement for the MS 461 than that gutless thing Stihl tried to tell us replaced both the 44 and 46 series.

Serious question seeing as some of the guys who have tried it have commented-is the AV squishy with a longer bar?
??? I didn't really notice, felt good in the hands... scary good, texas chainsaw masacre VI dueling chainsaws good in the hands good, Stars in his eyes good in the hands good....

it was wearing a 32" light bar with a full skip chain

to quote Gologit, "its a lightsaber" lighter then the venerable 044's even, but nearly the same torque as an 066 and chain speed that will scare ya

If I had $1400 to blow on a new saw, I wouldn't of batted an eye

Drove a Mountain Logger 150 skidder today, for a buddy of mine who's help cant show up before 10 am

first time since I was 12? I remember it being a pain in the ass then too.

the semi automatic trans was cool I guess, but it was a 6v53 destroit, so it didn't have any power until wide open throttle (just as I remember) the blade pretty was pretty much useless (also just like I remember) still couldn't see around the hood, exhaust, roll cage, air filters etc, which I do remember visibiltiy being an issue but I thought it was because I was shorter 30 some odd years ago... but the winch worked good and it was way more stable then my little johnny deere.

Though I have to say, I think the deere is faster unloaded, and I could probably keep up turn for turn, just because the deere is a lot more nimble, and better hydraulics. Certainly couldn't pull as much wood per turn, but mostly for lack of traction, not horse power/gears

Well, unless I head to the great PNW or Europe it looks like I will have plenty of time to raise MS500i funds. Every regular dealer around here has a wait list so I checked with the local Deere dealer. As I expected, not many 500i seekers go there - no list and no saw. Me being a somewhat regular tractor parts customer, they called the regional Stihl distributor while I waited. They were told that in our region availability of the 500i varied by state and Tennessee should not expect to see a 500i before late November. They were surprised to hear of such an allocation system. But being the helpful folks that they are, the dealership said they would keep an eye on the inventories of their other Deere dealerships in the surrounding states, including their one dealership that is served by a different Stihl regional distributor. We will see, but I am not holding my breath.

Ron

An Historical Tour De Forest
Here was my bike ride for today. About 7 miles up from my house, the sagebrush starts turning into forest and by 10 miles, it is foresty depending on the slope aspect. I'd only been part way up this road, and there is not much traffic on it during the week so I thought I'd ride the whole thing and make a loop out of it. I didn't know how far it would be but figured I could do 30 miles. Which it turned out was close. It was 32 miles. I did a bit of walking the bike towards the end because, well, my buns were hurting. But, now I have been to the former town of Ruby. Somewhere up on the hill above the Ruby townsite is another historical site that I've only seen pictures of. It is some kind of a rock wall for something to do with mining and is called the China Wall. It is now overgrown but still standing. It was another project stopped when the silver prices crashed. Here is Ruby.
DSC01301.JPG
So, I was parked in Downtown Ruby, and going thirsty. There were no ghosts selling whiskey so I swilled some water instead. I'm always amazed at the places where boomtowns once existed and are no more. From the road, I could see no building foundations. Farther in the mountains, and over the Cascade Crest was once a big town where they used dogsleds to bring in supplies during the winter. They had to cross quite a few avalanche chutes. Now, not much remains. Here is downtown Ruby, today.
DSC01302.JPG

Now, where this road ends, it joins up with the Conconully Highway and that former boomtown would be about 3 miles up. It still is in existance and is a touristy town catering to fishing people, ATVers and in the winter, snowmobilers. There are more ghost towns to the north of here also, with one that is turned into a museum.

Back