The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad bought a 17 ton excavator about 2 years ago. I think he paid around €5000 euro for it along with a dump truck. Both are ancient and beaten to fcuk.
The dumper is running but the clutch has a mind of its own, the steering wheel can be disconnected by mearly pulling on it and the brakes dont exist. But it has its niche.
The digger has sat idle for the most part of the last 2 years. We had a guy working on it and every time he got it running something would go. Hydraulic pipes, rams, grease nipples, idler wheels, tracks would come off. Removing and re attaching tracks on this machine is a 3 man job with a tractor to help. The tracks are massive, the best part of 20" across and maybe 1.5" thick, bigger than anything I have seen on other machines of the same size.
This weekend there is a new guy coming to look at it. We have had a new ram built for it.
Fingers crossed in a week's time I will be pulling stumps out with it.

just had a big iron auction in these parts...

even with a global shut down and pending economic doom

mofo's still spending 2 or 3 times what I would consider sane...

a 70's cat 12 grader went for over $30k... just insanity

anyway, not sure how to read this, either there are some real morons with cash out there, or maybe they figured out that all this pandampanic is temporary and we'll be back at it in a few weeks?

I just looked around and if it’s not clapped out, $25-30 grand looks to be the going rate for a 12G of that age. Doesn’t matter, I’ll still look like a moron trying to run it and make some really nice washboards in the road if I’m on a blade.

I’m feeling like an idiot for signing on a $377,000 line for a low hour, used Cat 349F that’s sitting in pieces in the yard and hasn’t even been put to work.

I just looked around and if it’s not clapped out, $25-30 grand looks to be the going rate for a 12G of that age. Doesn’t matter, I’ll still look like a moron trying to run it and make some really nice washboards in the road if I’m on a blade.

I’m feeling like an idiot for signing on a $377,000 line for a low hour, used Cat 349F that’s sitting in pieces in the yard and hasn’t even been put to work.
:oops: oh my...

That’s exactly what I’m thinking right now. It was a pretty good deal at that price. 590 hours, 2018 model. I was planning on having this machine for 10-15 years and putting 20,000 hours on. It may not even be with us until the end of the year depending on how long this pandemic lasts and as such the industrial and commercial work is gone.

Some days I miss when I was a gyppo, or worked for someone else. Fun times, less money being thrown around.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking right now. It was a pretty good deal at that price. 590 hours, 2018 model. I was planning on having this machine for 10-15 years and putting 20,000 hours on. It may not even be with us until the end of the year depending on how long this pandemic lasts and as such the industrial and commercial work is gone.

Some days I miss when I was a gyppo, or worked for someone else. Fun times, less money being thrown around.
gyppo for life bruh...

seriously though, there is a reason I pay cash for iron, to some extent one can predict the economy, but that is simply for every up, there is a sharp destructive down.

I've probably taken too much pride in paying cash for everything, but its times like these that make up for it

It was a very nice day today and I had some road to cut for, so I figured I would try to take a new guy out to the woods seeing as my normal cutting partner is technically in one piece but out for a while. The guy’s a great employee, is comfortable with a saw and is a great bucker.

The results were a toasted Skullgard, a headache, and a bent bar. 12-18” trees are just the right size to be big enough to do damage or sit back hard but too small to really set wedges and treat like a big tree. Oh well. The top broke out in true Silver Maple fashion while stump jumping a hanger.

On the other hand, the hydraulic pump let go on the 345 which sent shrapnel into the rest of the system wth the swing motor being first to go, so they put the new, expensive 349 together and put it to work instead of trying to rent something.

It was a very nice day today and I had some road to cut for, so I figured I would try to take a new guy out to the woods seeing as my normal cutting partner is technically in one piece but out for a while. The guy’s a great employee, is comfortable with a saw and is a great bucker.

The results were a toasted Skullgard, a headache, and a bent bar. 12-18” trees are just the right size to be big enough to do damage or sit back hard but too small to really set wedges and treat like a big tree. Oh well. The top broke out in true Silver Maple fashion while stump jumping a hanger.

On the other hand, the hydraulic pump let go on the 345 which sent shrapnel into the rest of the system wth the swing motor being first to go, so they put the new, expensive 349 together and put it to work instead of trying to rent something.

Yer not logging till you've had a proper concussion...

I am not sure but @RandyMac may be out touring the country. I saw this in the grocery store parking lot and it brought him to my mind. There wasn't a big yellow saw strapped to the bumper so it was probably someone else.
IMG_5243.JPG

Everyone, please enjoy Memorial Day. My thoughts and prayers are with you if it brings sad memories.

Ron

I am not sure but @RandyMac may be out touring the country. I saw this in the grocery store parking lot and it brought him to my mind. There wasn't a big yellow saw strapped to the bumper so it was probably someone else.
View attachment 830401

Everyone, please enjoy Memorial Day. My thoughts and prayers are with you if it brings sad memories.

Ron
I can feel the dragging and noise when that goes into and out of parking lots and gas stations...

This is yesterday.
DSC01166.JPG

Note the healthy forest....
I have seen moose in the area. There are willows and aspen coming up for the moose to munch on. This is part of the infamous Carlton Complex fire.

I can feel the dragging and noise when that goes into and out of parking lots and gas stations...

This is yesterday.
View attachment 830731

Note the healthy forest....
I have seen moose in the area. There are willows and aspen coming up for the moose to munch on. This is part of the infamous Carlton Complex fire.

Still a lot of majesty and beauty - at least to me. And as you know it should cycle back.

Speaking of cycles that is a cool looking bike you have there.

Ron

Latest posts

Back