• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

The offical trains thread.

trains

trains

Firewood hack
I Prefer my Points to be Trailing, many fewer problems that way;) (we will know the true railfans, by those that Understand that:D)

Doug :cheers:
Was a fireman for a short while at our local histerical railway society :)
Enjoyed working to keep the needle sort of where it should be, the water where it should be, and keeping the driver happy.
fun times, but there are some strange folk that seem to gravitate towards those things at times :(

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
Was some discussion of my signature picture and link from some other members, and indeed some exciting times coming up for train enthusiasts, especially with steam.

First of all, much deserving of the first post, the Big Boy 4014's first whistle blow in 60 years on its way to a full restoration and first scheduled departure this Saturday.

I went to college where there was a train track behind the schools property and the train travelled it two or three times a day. Every few months while I was there, some psychopath decided to take a shot at the train, didn't hit anyone at first. Nobody knew who did it, locals or a student.
One day, the conductor was injured by glass as the perp shot at the train, but this time it was in the winter and snow on the ground. The cops followed the tracks back tot eh school to one dorm and then to a students room. Inside, they found the student, the gun and his walls COMPLETELY covered by pictures of trains and train accidents. Psycho.

They arrested his and he was sent to jail.

When did you get out?

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
Thanks trains, those will be up on the to watch list.

Here is Western Maryland Shay #6, sitting in front of the Cass company store built in 1902 (now shown as its final appearance change in 1920), awaiting the first run after her 1472 inspection.

“Big Six”.

The second largest, largest surviving, and last Shay ever built.

A younger sister to an earlier 3 truck Shay that was converted to a 4 truck Shay at Cass, the largest and longest Shay to ever operate (though Cass had other 4 trucks Shays in its existence).

Spent only 5 years in service from new, then was retired in 1950 and ended up on display at the B&O museum until it’s 50 year lease to Cass in 1980, where it’s been in service ever since.

This thing is a quite a sight compared to the smaller 70 & 80 ton Shays in the Cass lineup.

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
That is indeed awesome. Some masterful skill there.

Been watching the 4014/844 vids on YouTube, good to see the big boy pounding away on the tracks again.

And some good news, will see where this leads, maybe one day to an expansion of another scenic railroad.

This is the old Buffalo Creek and Gauley railroad, which was recently turned into a unique rail bike trail, that is now going to become WV’s newest state park in 30 years.

My grandparents rode the trains on this very track, when it was used as a passenger service line, and were on the last train to ever ride on these rails in 1965.

DGVR was (is?) restoring a 2-8-0 Consolidation that called this track home, purchased new by the BC&G railroad in 1926.

DGVR’s plan was to use it on a reconstruction of a track at Cass that was washed out the 80’s, but another special engine undergoing restoration could be taking over those duties.

So will see where “ol slobberface” ends up, they had the boiler in the shop a couple years back, but unsure of the current status.

Unlikely, but would be spectacular to see the 2-8-0 up and running once again at its home track.

Will see if I have a better picture of it.

West Virginia governor announces new state park featuring 72-mile trail

CLAY COUNTY, W.Va. (WCHS/WVAH) —
Adventure seekers from across the country will soon be able to experience the beauty West Virginia has to offer.

Governor Jim Justice announced Wednesday the state's plan to build a new rail trail along the Elk River and Buffalo Creek.

President of the Clay County business development authority Mitchell DeBoard has worked for years to get the current rail rides up and running. Visitors from 27 different states came to ride along the Buffalo Creek over the past year. Now, he will be getting help to expand from the state.

"People who have never been to this area have no idea what we have to offer," DeBoard said. "I think this is going to help the central part of West Virginia and just help it grow."

The new park will feature 72 miles of trail for hiking, biking and rail riding. The new project is expected to bring millions to Clay County, an area hard hit by the 2016 flood.

"People from all over the country look for places like West Virginia," Delegate Roger Hanshaw said. "They want to experience the kind of recreation that we have in our backyard."

When completed, the trail will be the second longest in the state next to the Greenbrier River Trail. Volunteer Dustin Fitzwater has worked to help the rail rides take off in Clay County. He said with the help of the state, the tourism will only increase.

"We will have so many opportunities," Dustin Fitzwater said. "I don't think people realize yet what this is going to do for Clay County."

The project is expected to be complete by summer of 2020.

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

" ~ No wood, No fire! ~ "
I like trains. full scale, model... I like trains! a rancher pal of mine out there along the county line... has a line running right across the back of his property. actually edge of his compound area. I am envious!

I see trains out by my place all the time... other day I saw one going down the line by the FM... must have been pulling 100 cars... all black tank cars! no flats, no boxes... entire train was black tank cars!

back in the early 70's... I was out jogging. a train was stopped on the line where I turn R. I went over to the curb and the caboose was close by. I saw some guys and hollard, HI. they responded back Hi, care to come on the train? soon I was in the caboose talking with them, etc. cool visit...

and a year or so before that... I was out jogging one evening in town... big railroad yard, switch house, etc. an engineer was up in the diesel electric's cab. I started to chat with him and he invited me to climb up. soon we were talking about the controls, etc. he had to drive it up to the switch house, so asked if I wanted to drive it? :surprised3: oh yeah!!! was little more than moving a lever from one detent to another... each a faster speed. it was something to have all that weight and power at my fingertips... it was pretty exciting

zde.jpg

Todd Loosli

Todd Loosli

One to many saws, never
When I was at Rock Springs I asked Tim, head man at steam division about the 3985 and he said it will never run again. It is to far gone to fix and the cost would be 8 to 10 million. It has some serious boiler problems, that is why they went looking for another big engine and the 4014 was the best way to go. Tim said it was rode hard and put away wet to many times over the last 25 years with out being repaired properly

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
I like trains. full scale, model... I like trains! a rancher pal of mine out there along the county line... has a line running right across the back of his property. actually edge of his compound area. I am envious!

I see trains out by my place all the time... other day I saw one going down the line by the FM... must have been pulling 100 cars... all black tank cars! no flats, no boxes... entire train was black tank cars!

back in the early 70's... I was out jogging. a train was stopped on the line where I turn R. I went over to the curb and the caboose was close by. I saw some guys and hollard, HI. they responded back Hi, care to come on the train? soon I was in the caboose talking with them, etc. cool visit...

and a year or so before that... I was out jogging one evening in town... big railroad yard, switch house, etc. an engineer was up in the diesel electric's cab. I started to chat with him and he invited me to climb up. soon we were talking about the controls, etc. he had to drive it up to the switch house, so asked if I wanted to drive it? :surprised3: oh yeah!!! was little more than moving a lever from one detent to another... each a faster speed. it was something to have all that weight and power at my fingertips... it was pretty exciting

View attachment 736057
Cool! Bet that was fun indeed!

View attachment 736070 Went to Rock Springs yesterday to see the 4014 and it was worth the effort. That thing is big.
Congrats! It has been looking amazing in the videos with 844.

Hate to hear that of 3985, I hope it is at least preserved and displayed so that it doesn't become unusable, just in case. But there is a similar situation here with a two truck Climax that used to be the Durbin Rocket. It has some issues and is now under a tarp, hopefully not awaiting the same fate...

DSC00012.JPG

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
From the newest operational Shay in existence in Big 6, to the oldest operational Shay in existence.

The state locomotive.

Cass #5.

Came to Cass new in 1905, and has been on this track ever since, now pulling tourists up the hills instead of bringing logs off them. Though it did venture off the Cass line, and even spent some time in other places pulling log trains (though it has always been stationed at Cass). It was even parked behind the Cass lumber mill and used to feed steam to the mill when needed.

DSC00301.JPG .

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
Pacific Coast Shay #11, the Feather River Shay.

One of two Pacific Coast Shays in the Cass collection, a larger 90 ton Shay used in Feather River, California. Purchased in 1998 for Cass where it was converted to coal from oil, and has been in regular service since.

IMG_4285.JPG