ArboristSite.com Sponsors

The offical trains thread.

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
Well, was looking through the pictures, and found some of the "dead lines" at Cass.

I'm not even quite sure what these locomotives are, but a couple of examples of the diesels that Cass has had over the years.
DSC01189.JPG

DSC01249.JPG

Attachments

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
Some of the old (once) rolling stock.

Cass has had a couple of oil fired shays, hence the tanker, but all are now coal fired. I think they have another tanker that is used in photo shoots that looks much nicer than this one, will have to see if I have a pic of it from the main dead line.

DSC01246.JPG DSC01250.JPG DSC01227.JPG

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
I know I'm killing the servers, lol, but a few more.

Big 6 in the shop. Know that its no Big Boy or Allegheny, but this thing is still quite a locomotive. The second largest shay ever built at 135 tons empty weight.

A side view, a view inside the stack chamber, and a shot down the walkway.

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4368.JPG

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
And a GP-9 in the shop. I'm guessing its being rebuilt for the freight line that DGVR also operates. These GP-9's apparently sound quite amazing, hopefully they'll get it up and running.

IMG_4378.JPG

And another GP-9 that was at Cass in 2017, but unsure where it is now. I'm guessing they are working on it also.

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
A F-7 powered "B" unit that is being restored.

This was sitting behind the GP-9 above, but don't have a good picture of it.

IMG_3619.JPG

In the shop in 2018. Looks good now, but unsure of the plans for it.

DSC00235.JPG

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
Some in the other forums had mentioned antique bridges, so a sampling of some of the old railroad bridges still in existence here.

A Bethlehem/American Bridge company span built in 1929. The main span by Bethlehem, the smaller span over land by American.

IMG_8058.JPEG

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_8064.JPEG

The pin joint at the pier of the two bridges. Main span to right, shorter land span to the left.

IMG_6518.JPG

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
Thought I had some better pictures of this one, but guess not. May have to reshoot this one at some point. Don't recall there being a plaque on this bridge, but based on the gusseting similarities, probably a American Steel too.

IMG_7326.JPG

henry r

henry r

ArboristSite Operative
And go to 10.20 for hard working double Garratts, love the sounds.

T
Now we're cooking. Double 60 class up Hawkemount Bank.

Can you tell i grew up in NSW and love the transition era NSWGR?

dad has 2 HO scale 60 class but only one has sound (the other is still in kit form...) We are modelling the Main South anyway, so will really only need 1 Garrett.

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
Some sad news.

From the UP steam club email.

The Challenger No. 3985 Will Remain Officially Retired

Since work was completed on No. 4014 people have asked about the fate of The Challenger No. 3985.

The short answer: There are no plans to restore No. 3985. Many years of hard operation have resulted in the locomotive requiring a complete frame-up restoration similar to what was needed to make No. 4014 operational. Historically, Union Pacific's steam program has had two steam locomotives on its roster, and that count will remain the same moving forward.

No. 3985 last operated in "regular" train service in 1957. It was retired in 1962 and stored in the roundhouse in Cheyenne, Wyoming, until 1975 when it was placed on display near the Cheyenne depot. A group of Union Pacific employees volunteered their services to restore the locomotive to running condition in 1981.

Where No. 3985 will ultimately reside is still in question, but it's safe to say the locomotive will remain officially retired from service