the official arborist site work saw build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1

RiverRat is sending me one to do, just got off the phone with him. Cheers.

Excellent. This is going to be quite the good time.

:rock::rock::hmm3grin2orange::blob2::laugh:

The funny thing about these type of ventures though, is that guys whos race saws which did not cut it at the cant GTGs officially become called "work saws" when in reality they would never make it day in and day out in a demanding production oriented enviorment. Mine are never the fastest, but safe and productive.

My sentiments exactly Jasha,,, I dont care if mine ends up not the fastest,,,, good production with ample torque will make me happy!! JMHO Fuel efficiency is becoming more critical,,,

Since this is a work saw build off is there going to be a category for for fuel efficiency??? for the Fly-in Loggers????

Cause if I cant find some one to car/truck pool with I'm Flyin IN!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!

Last edited:
Square hardwood cants would keep the variables down. Then everyone has the same chain.
Decide on a chain and provide it with the saw, that way, who ever is last doesnt get a chain thats been cut with 40 times.

Gotta make it fair :)
And lookin like I need to be in TN that weekend :cheers:

i will provide the bar for the saws if everyone will send the chain along with the saw. we can use off the roll oregon full chisel full comp 84dl 3/8 050 . that would cut down on my expense buying chains if everyone would just send one along.

ok guys here we go lets get it on:msp_mad:

this is a work saw build not stock appearing

..............................Heres the rules....................................

---------------we are building 371/372xp 50mm (72cc)---------------
1 cylinder has to be true to the saw,no big bore kits
2 use any piston you want to use
3 intake and carb has to be true to the saw
4 has to have functional choke
5 must use oem style filter
6 saw must be completely safe to use daily
7 must not have pipes larger than 1" diameter (od) protruding from muffler
8 has to have spark screen (requirement on most felling jobs)
9 saw must run on pump gas

- i will provide 92 octane ethanol free fuel with synthetic oil for
saws to run on at the gtg
-i will provide the new 24'' bar and chain for testing the saws-we will be cutting 18''-22'' hard wood(oak,maple,hickory,ash etc)
depending on what i can get at the gtg time
-we will make 5 cuts and average the time
-i will provide a good saw man that has no horse in the race and
will not know whos saw is whos
-saws should be ready to run when they arrive

my gtg will be on JUNE THE 18th so anyone that needs to get one shipped to me can get in contact with me in a pm in advance of that date
i will video each and every saw that is run and post the videos for everyone to see from my youtube page. if ive missed anything let me know or if you have questions . rules are subject to change if i have missed something. good luck to you all and let me know whos in....
i will start the list with me
1 tlandrum2002

Has a guide length been decided? 24".....28"....

Edit addition...... I tend to build saws more for the torque end being my favorite set up is a 372 with 32" RW bar.

See above/

i think a 372 would puke out and die after a week of cutting the wood that i cut with a 32" bar. i tend to go bigger saw when i need that much bar on a costant basis. i tend to run the 70cc class saw on up to an average of 24-32" timber(eastern hardwoods) i may be wrong but thats what seems to work best and last longest for outfits around here.

I agree...

it ain't no cottonwood round here!

I had a guy call me about buying my 394 with a 36" bar...

he said "if i don't buy yours @ $500, i'll have to spend a bit more at the power equipment place..." I said, and, um...what are you getting for a 'little bit more'??

he said, " um, I dunno, or remember exactly.." I said, 'hmm...a 372?'

'YEAH!!! that's it' he said.

'and your gonna run a 30" bar on that all the time'?? good luck.

needless to say, his experienced guy bought the saw.

J

A few questions about this, I didn't read all 6 pages.
Is this open to 362, 365, and 372 saws, as long as it's not a 75cc XPW or Big Bore kit?

Can the saw be a mongrel of Jonsered and Husqvarna parts? I'm talking like a red crankcase or red tank/handle since internals are all the same.

I think it would be best if everyone agreed that Oregon 72 LGX brand new out of the box, so that every single chain is equal.

I want to participate but, I just need to see if I can find a saw or parts to build one. If anyone has tanks, crankcases, or any other major parts they'd be interested in parting with pm me.

to keep it simple and as absolutley fair as possible id say 371/372 50mm straight up husky and the rules are on the first page or i going to add them to my sig

I'm searching for a saw now. I hope to find one used. I've found a bunch of new x torqs around me. No regular old xps.

to keep it simple and as absolutley fair as possible id say 371/372 50mm straight up husky and the rules are on the first page or i going to add them to my sig

Allowing 365's and 2171's doesn't make it any more difficult or unfair.
You would have more then in a position to be able to compete. That would be more fair.

To help keep an even field against the "racey" saws, use larger hardwood.

you put whatever the saw can handle on it and run it 7 or 8 but remember were talking about hardwood in the upwards of whatever a 24'' bar can cut

A friend of mine lost his house in a fire, and wanted me to go over his son's 372XP for him because of water and smoke damage. I talked him into letting me do a muffler mod, and lowering the cylinder (do all 372s have such huge squish numbers from the factory?) I promised that apart from polishing, I wouldn't do anything to the ports.

I already have the unlimited coil though...

Temptation is a terrible thing.

Back